When to draft holders? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

When to draft holders?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: When to draft holders?

Postby ramble2 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:05 am

Yeah, we'll see. It wasn't entirely intentional. I'm an expansion team and had to address other needs before I could address saves/holds. By the time I could spend picks on saves/holds the holders were far more valuable, to my mind, than the closers. I'm treating it as an experiment, and decided to have some fun with it.
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Montana » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:58 pm

Couple guys I'd add to the top of the solid list GotowarMissAgnes posted...

Sean Marshall (Chc) - strong K/9, should get plenty of opportunities again.....rarely gets ranked with the elite guys, but imo is every bit as good/valuable. (10.85 K/9, 2,65 ERA (2.28 FIP), 1.11 WHIP, 22 Holds)

Jordan Walden (LAA) - electric stuff, averaged 98.8 on his fastball last year, huge K/rate, unreal GB/FB rate........very small sample size, but imo he's got the best arsenal in that Angels pen, and if he doesn't end up being the closer, he could very well be one of the more elite holds guys out there..........fantastic late round guy to take a flyer on.

Chris Sale (CWS) - off to a bit of a rough start this spring, which will likely keep him out of the closer role, and securely in a set up position, where he could rack up huge K totals and a large # of holds....

Kenley Jansen (LAD) - 13.67 k/9, 0.67 ERA, 1.00 WHIP...over 27 innings pitched.......even with Kuo there, he could be in line for plenty of hold opportunities, and could provide unreal peripherals if he can pitch anything like he did last year.
Montana
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:48 pm

Have my $20 league draft tonight, I'll update where some of the holds guys go
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby wrveres » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:59 am

14 team league, Rnd 14 is when our hold's run started.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Postby ramble2 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:57 am

12 team keeper, Gregerson was first holder off the board in round 14, after Perez and Lyon. I was able to get Bard, Adams, and Kuo in rounds 16, 17 and 18.
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 5)

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:20 am

ramble2 wrote:12 team keeper, Gregerson was first holder off the board in round 14, after Perez and Lyon. I was able to get Bard, Adams, and Kuo in rounds 16, 17 and 18.

That's a nice set of holders.
"I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to chase it."
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby Y`s Guy » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:39 am

CRob44 wrote:i have holds in almost all my leagues. I always get talked into waiting till the last rounds to draft a holder and every year i lose because of holds and saves .

I play roto leagues 12 teams and will end up with a 3 or 4 in saves and holds and i end up losing the league because of it.
In reality, if you have holds in your league, isn't it as important as any other stat?

I have next pick in my email messenger draft and will pick tommorrow. im really considering luke gregerson even though
there are some closers and some sp and some bottom end closers left.

Who are the top holders and when would you draft one.

Remember this when it comes to holders...the WW is always going to churn out a good one during the season. Just monitor that. Bottom line...if you think you missed out during the draft don't worry too much about it. Check that WW.
My Friendliness bar...recently shrunk from 11.3 to 10mm long!!
Y`s Guy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 275)
Location: If you're reading this then there's a good chance that I'm with your girlfriend.

Postby CRob44 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:08 pm

i thought so also about waiver wire for holds , i do this every year and i get whipped bad. Everyone in my league will start 3 holders likely and some will even have a sp at the holder spot everyday unless there sp is starting.

Not sure what sp is eligible as holders this year.

My league is sp sp, rp rp,rp,r p, p , p , p ,p
CRob44
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers