When to draft holders? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

When to draft holders?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

When to draft holders?

Postby CRob44 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:22 am

i have holds in almost all my leagues. I always get talked into waiting till the last rounds to draft a holder and every year i lose because of holds and saves .

I play roto leagues 12 teams and will end up with a 3 or 4 in saves and holds and i end up losing the league because of it.
In reality, if you have holds in your league, isn't it as important as any other stat?

I have next pick in my email messenger draft and will pick tommorrow. im really considering luke gregerson even though
there are some closers and some sp and some bottom end closers left.

Who are the top holders and when would you draft one.
CRob44
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: When to draft holders?

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:31 am

We use holds in my main keeper league (16 teams roto), and holders generally start to go after round 15. I'd caution against being too aggressive. If you can be active on the waiver wire, you can generally pick up a decent holds guy as roles change through the season. Depending on how I feel about my closers, I tend to look for closers in my league around rounds 18-25. I'll pick two at the max for our 25 man rosters, hoping that one of them succeeds in the hold role or morphs to a closer.

I haven't done a full ranking yet (I need to look at roles), but here's a short list of my top 20.

Gregerson
Adams
Kuo
Guerrier
Bard
RBetancourt
Clippard
Romo
Benoit
Balfour
Madson
Saito
Mujica
Thatcher
O'Day
Masset
Oliver
Burnett
Motte

Chapman probably goes in there somewhere, but I haven't done his projection yet, as do some of the goes battling for closer roles--League, Farnsworth/Howell/McGee, Capps, Dotel, Venters.
"I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to chase it."
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ramble2 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:41 pm

Thanks GTWMA. I joined a new league this year that uses 'saves+holds' in place of 'saves' and this is a great list. To those with experience in leagues where holds and saves count the same, can you be competitive if you just target setup and middle relievers?
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 7)

Postby Slayer Rules » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:15 pm

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:We use holds in my main keeper league (16 teams roto), and holders generally start to go after round 15. I'd caution against being too aggressive. If you can be active on the waiver wire, you can generally pick up a decent holds guy as roles change through the season. Depending on how I feel about my closers, I tend to look for closers in my league around rounds 18-25. I'll pick two at the max for our 25 man rosters, hoping that one of them succeeds in the hold role or morphs to a closer.

I haven't done a full ranking yet (I need to look at roles), but here's a short list of my top 20.

Gregerson
Adams
Kuo
Guerrier
Bard
RBetancourt
Clippard
Romo
Benoit
Balfour
Madson
Saito
Mujica
Thatcher
O'Day
Masset
Oliver
Burnett
Motte

Chapman probably goes in there somewhere, but I haven't done his projection yet, as do some of the goes battling for closer roles--League, Farnsworth/Howell/McGee, Capps, Dotel, Venters.

Will Sale be a fit on this list?
Slayer Rules
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:18 pm

I've never tried that as a planned strategy, but I won my league in 2009 despite finishing near the bottom in saves. When I crapped out in closers, I went all in after holders and won that category. One reason why I like having holds is that it opens up an additional strategy when closer roles shift, rather than having everybody just trolling for the closers. In a league with holds, it's also much more difficult to play the waiver wire for saves, because the usual replacement when a closer goes down is typically already on somebody's roster. So, part of your thinking on holds can also be focusing on strong pitchers who are setting up for shaky closers.
"I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to chase it."
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:19 pm

Slayer Rules wrote:Will Sale be a fit on this list?

Yeah, just forgot to include him as one of the closer battle guys.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby octagon999 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:01 am

Besides draft day, pay close attention to the WW for RPs getting holds. Look at last 7 or last 14 days, not just season-wide for trends. Don't panic right away if your drafted holds guy doesn't get them right away. It can be situational, so there can come times when an RP doesn't have an opportunity for a hold or a save. With saves and holds, keeping up on the WW is as important as any other factor.
octagon999
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby CubsFan7724 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:28 pm

I'm in a 16 man league, 25 man rosters (H2H though so I feel like I can effectively punt a category), that has saves and holds, and I feel kind of lost with this many players. There will be a couple teams with essentially 1 closer after the draft that will be punting saves every week, and you really won't be able to pick up saves off the wire. Makes me lean towards really just focusing on holds guys.

In deep leagues like that, is this a wise idea unless closers are falling (or you can nab 3 strong closers and lock down that category every week possibly) Seems better to get the strong hold guys (who might steal a job) that go later and will have better ratios than the bargain closers...

The league also starts 9 pitching spots so I feel I can stock up on a lot of the holds guys
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby ramble2 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:43 pm

CubsFan7724 wrote:I'm in a 16 man league, 25 man rosters (H2H though so I feel like I can effectively punt a category), that has saves and holds, and I feel kind of lost with this many players. There will be a couple teams with essentially 1 closer after the draft that will be punting saves every week, and you really won't be able to pick up saves off the wire. Makes me lean towards really just focusing on holds guys.

In deep leagues like that, is this a wise idea unless closers are falling (or you can nab 3 strong closers and lock down that category every week possibly) Seems better to get the strong hold guys (who might steal a job) that go later and will have better ratios than the bargain closers...

The league also starts 9 pitching spots so I feel I can stock up on a lot of the holds guys

My league settings are a little different, but close enough to be relevant. We have a 'Saves+Holds' category, so a save is equally as valuable as a hold.

I didn't mean to punt saves, but it's happened so far. In my (slow-)draft the only closers available were, to my mind, weak. I just couldn't take Lyon when no middle relievers had been taken and Derek Lee was on the board.

So far I've drafted Daniel Bard, and I've got Jake McGee on my Minors squad. I'm planning on taking the next two best available middle relievers with my next picks, and am really focusing on their peripherals (especially K/9). I'll probably end up with Adams and Kuo or Romo. After the season is over I'll check back in and let people know how a straight 'holds' strategy worked out. If I can even finish in the top third of the 'Saves+Holds' category I think it will be a success. I'd much rather use my earlier picks on other players, and take top MRs with later round picks.
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 7)

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:44 pm

I don't know. I'm in 1 16 team 25 man roster league, too, although it's roto. I generally have no problem getting two closers so I can compete in saves, although I never pick one before round 11 in our draft. The one year I did get shut out of closers, I did use the strategy you describe and grabbed some of the better holders a little earlier.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers