Thoughts on this prelim auction? Looking to fine tune - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Thoughts on this prelim auction? Looking to fine tune

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Thoughts on this prelim auction? Looking to fine tune

Postby SA16 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:41 pm

Hey, I have an auction draft coming up soon so I was just playing around with projected lineups I can build and here is something I've come up with...just looking for thoughts/places to improve and such. I figure since its an auction I should pretty much be able to do what I want, and I think my leaguemates are going to be bidding very similar to the Yahoo values (or average paid value). To build this roster I assumed I would spend $1 on each of the five bench spots, a total of $20 on three closers (this might be too high) and I used the Yahoo Average Price as the price for each player.

My league is 12 Team H2H with weekly moves and is6x6 with the stats: R HR RBI SB OBP SLG, K QS SV ERA WHIP K/BB
We start C,1B,2B,3B,SS,OF,OF,OF,UTIL,SP,SP,RP,RP,RP,P,P

Proj. Team
C Matt Wieters 6.9
1B Adam Dunn 26.2
2B Ben Zobrist 7.3
3B David Wright 45.1
SS Stephen Drew 9.2
OF Jason Heyward 27.9
OF Jay Bruce 21.9
OF Mike Stanton 13.5
UTIL Carlos Pena 4.7
SP Francisco Liriano 16.4
SP Yovani Gallardo 15
SP Dan Haren 11
SP Max Scherzer 7.6
SP Cole Hamels 17
RP - 10
RP - 10
BN x 5 5
Total Price 254.7
SA16
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Thoughts on this prelim auction? Looking to fine tune

Postby SA16 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:22 am

anyone?
SA16
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby lane_anasazi2 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:39 am

I think this kind of approach leads to inflexibility and that can kill you in an auction draft. Having a good idea of who you want is good, but constructing an ideal roster is a waste of time because invariably things won't work out like you think. Basically, I'd set aside the budget based on position. So, say you want to spend $40 on a 1B... then you have several targets, and you can always look out for value. Ah, why am I rehashing this.... just read this thread:

viewtopic.php?t=421685
lane_anasazi2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 99)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SA16 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:40 am

lane_anasazi2 wrote:I think this kind of approach leads to inflexibility and that can kill you in an auction draft. Having a good idea of who you want is good, but constructing an ideal roster is a waste of time because invariably things won't work out like you think. Basically, I'd set aside the budget based on position. So, say you want to spend $40 on a 1B... then you have several targets, and you can always look out for value. Ah, why am I rehashing this.... just read this thread:

viewtopic.php?t=421685

Yea, of course, obviously I'm going to be flexible and nothing is set in stone. I'm sure things will change as the draft goes along, this is more of just an idealized outline of what I would like to happen, and say something won't work like Wright is overpriced, I can then wait for someone like Beltre, Aramis, or Reynolds and would obviously take that additional 20-30 dollars and use it to improve on a different spot or two which I hadn't designed for but have certainly prepared for.

My initial spreadsheet does what you say, placing several targets for each position but then I just tried to narrow it down to come up with, if possible, the team I think is best constructed but I'm definitely going to have that sheet open while drafting so I know my other options that I like and prices I'm willing to pay
SA16
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Millhouse » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:30 pm

I think most of those prices seem in line with that I've seen in mocks (and my own drafts) so far....agree that you have to be ready to roll with what the auction gives you vs. being set on a roster going in, but you clearly know that. Based on some early drafts, it seems people are still down on Aramis (going for a couple bucks/a couple rounds later than I, personally, have him rated). The "ideal" team you constructed is obviously light on steals, if anything, (aside from Wright and maybe Zobrist). That pitching staff would be very solid, think some of those guys might go a tad higher (Haren, Hamels, Gallardo) but you're in the $12-$15 range which is about right for those guys vs. say Halladay, Felix or Lincecum who are going in the $26-$30 range....Re: closers, $10 each should net you a Paps/Nathan/Putz/Bailey-level closers, better than moving up to, say, $14 for Wilson/Bell/Soria.

See mine? Thx viewtopic.php?t=423993
Millhouse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 166)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team