Michael Pineda - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Michael Pineda

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Michael Pineda

Postby J35J » Sun May 22, 2011 10:47 am

I love this guy...I very well could regret just trading him...I have plenty of pitching though and need the offense more.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 620)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Ender » Sun May 22, 2011 12:16 pm

Trading him was a good idea, Young pitchers really do tend to fade as the season goes on and Seattle isn't going to be playing for anything so he'll be shut down at some point. You got a good chunk of innings out of him and traded him when his value was probably at its highest.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 451)

Postby pokerplaya » Sun May 22, 2011 2:08 pm

J35J wrote:I love this guy...I very well could regret just trading him...I have plenty of pitching though and need the offense more.

If you don't mind me asking, what was the deal?

I'm also very pitching heavy (and just walked into a deal where I got CC, so now I'm really loaded) and would consider trading him.

I'm interested to hear his relative value...
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby CBMGreatOne » Sun May 22, 2011 3:14 pm

Ditto, I mean what is selling high? Seems like right now it's something along the lines of Justin Upton/Andrew McCutchen.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 233)

Postby J35J » Sun May 22, 2011 4:53 pm

In good leagues you won't get much out of Pineda in redraft leagues(for all the reason's Ender mentioned above)....I went straight up for Adam Lind...deal doesn't go through until Monday so hopefully Lind will be back in another week or so. Like I said, I have a decent staff and need the offense....maybe I could have gotten a touch more but it isn't likely(Cafeholics Masters league). Here's to hoping he gets back on track like he was before he went on the DL. :-o
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby cs3 » Sun May 22, 2011 6:29 pm

What do you think hes worth in Keeper leagues, where you can keep him near the very end of the draft for several years?
cs3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby AquaMan2342 » Sun May 22, 2011 6:40 pm

Highest average fastball in the majors + unbelievable control of his pitches.....I don't know if I'm really looking to sell him to be honest.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby J35J » Sun May 22, 2011 7:38 pm

AquaMan2342 wrote:Highest average fastball in the majors + unbelievable control of his pitches.....I don't know if I'm really looking to sell him to be honest.

Trust me, I'm with ya. But at 22 years old and Seattle not playing for anything this year... if they throw him much more than 160IP then they'd be silly... not to mention he's not going to pitch any better than he is right now...time to cash in. In redrafts, if you have a solid pitching staff then I'd obviously sell if you have needs elsewhere and can get what you want return.

cs3 wrote:What do you think hes worth in Keeper leagues, where you can keep him near the very end of the draft for several years?

Well as Aqua put it....Highest avg fastball + Plus control + Pitches in Safeco = Awesome. If you can keep that for years to come on the cheap you don't get rid of that unless you get amazing offensive players in return only because you always worry about the injury risk with young pitchers. He's got tremendous value in keepers for sure!
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby CBMGreatOne » Sun May 22, 2011 7:52 pm

J35J wrote:
AquaMan2342 wrote:Highest average fastball in the majors + unbelievable control of his pitches.....I don't know if I'm really looking to sell him to be honest.

Trust me, I'm with ya. But at 22 years old and Seattle not playing for anything this year... if they throw him much more than 160IP then they'd be silly... not to mention he's not going to pitch any better than he is right now...time to cash in. In redrafts, if you have a solid pitching staff then I'd obviously sell if you have needs elsewhere and can get what you want return.

cs3 wrote:What do you think hes worth in Keeper leagues, where you can keep him near the very end of the draft for several years?

Well as Aqua put it....Highest avg fastball + Plus control + Pitches in Safeco = Awesome. If you can keep that for years to come on the cheap you don't get rid of that unless you get amazing offensive players in return only because you always worry about the injury risk with young pitchers. He's got tremendous value in keepers for sure!

Not sure if they really match up from a prospect status standpoint, but how many innings did Felix throw in his rookie year? (just looked it up, was 191) If memory serves, Felix was 19/20 years old in his rookie campaign. Pineda at least has some age and physical maturity on his side relative to Felix as a rookie.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 233)

Postby boredguy » Sun May 22, 2011 9:04 pm

Felix pitched 149 innings between A+ and AA in 2004, 172 innings between AAA and MLB in 2005 then 191 in his first full major league season. So kept under 25 ip jump per year.
Pineda threw 139 ip last year in AA and AAA. I'd agree with J35J, they probably shut him down once he gets up around 160-165 ip.
boredguy
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers