Japanese Tsunami/Nuclear Disaster - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Japanese Tsunami/Nuclear Disaster

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Japanese Tsunami

Postby bigh0rt » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:51 pm

StlSluggers wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:
StlSluggers wrote:that pic of Kashima in Minamisoma is sad :-/

Why more so than the others? I checked them all out and I couldn't pin point what you're seeing in that one.

Because I knew saying that would really get under your skin.

No I'm being serious here. The pictures are wild. I was just wondering if I missed something in that specific picture.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 360)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby StlSluggers » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:31 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
StlSluggers wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:Why more so than the others? I checked them all out and I couldn't pin point what you're seeing in that one.

Because I knew saying that would really get under your skin.

No I'm being serious here. The pictures are wild. I was just wondering if I missed something in that specific picture.

It is my understanding that those inland ponds that form after these type of events are pretty devastating because they stagnate rather quickly. Maybe there were one or two other pics that had that happen, too, but that particular picture had the most dramatic creation of a body of water that I noticed.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby bleach168 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:01 pm

"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 17)

Postby StlSluggers » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:02 pm

StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:17 am

StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Re: Japanese Tsunami/Nuclear Disaster

Postby wrveres » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:21 am

and then that happened ... and you know what. I live on the wrong side of the trade winds. oh crap!
SOMA, Japan – Japan's nuclear crisis deepened dramatically Tuesday. As safety officials sought desperately to avert catastrophe, the government said radioactive material leaking from reactors was enough to "impact human health" and the risk of more leaks was "very high."

In a nationally televised statement, Prime Minister Naoto Kan said that radiation has spread from four reactors of the Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear plant in Fukushima province that was one of the hardest-hit in Friday's 9.0-magnitude earthquake and the ensuing tsunami.

He urged anyone within 19 miles (30 kilometers) of the plant to stay indoors or risk getting radiation sickness. "The level seems very high, and there is still a very high risk of more radiation coming out," Kan said.

"Now we are talking about levels that can damage human health. These are readings taken near the area where we believe the releases are happening. Far away, the levels should be lower," he said.
"Please do not go outside. Please stay indoors. Please close windows and make your homes airtight. Don't turn on ventilators. Please hang on your laundry indoors," he said.
"These are figures that potentially affect health, there is no mistake about that," he said.

Japan's meteorological agency reported one good sign. It said the prevailing wind in the area of the stricken plant was heading east into the Pacific, which would help carry away any radiation.
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 761)

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:33 pm

StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:59 pm

StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:12 pm

To clean up the Chernobyl site after the accident, the Soviet Union conscripted workers in proportion to the size of each of its republics, and developed a system to limit their exposure.

“They sent up to 600,000 people in to clean up the radioactive debris around the plant and build a sarcophagus,” said Dr. John Boice, an author of the study, a professor of medicine at Vanderbilt and the scientific director of the International Epidemiology Institute in Rockvillle, Md.

The workers, known as “liquidators,” were sent into contaminated zones for limited periods and pulled out when their radiation dose reached a certain level.

“To date there’s very little evidence for adverse effects,” Dr. Boice said. “It was pretty smart. A large number of people got a relatively small dose. There may be a small risk of leukemia, but that’s not conclusive.”
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby StlSluggers » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:01 am

Preliminary 6.0 just east of Tokyo. Geez. :-[
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk