100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Best Values 1st Round

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Re: Best Values 1st Round

Postby rookies and cream » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:44 pm

AquaMan2342 wrote:
Grounded Polo wrote:
AquaMan2342 wrote:Tulo is a mystery to me.....I'd be interested to see where he'd be drafted at if he hadn't gone on literally the most historic power run in major league history in September.

Probably mid 2nd at worst, he's still a shortstop with 30 home run power.

I'll take Braun at 5 in real drafts but in a shallower league like 10-12 teams and no MI/CI/5 OF, I'd think about Tulo since the margin for error isn't so thin.

There's still a pretty big difference between top 5 overall and mid-2nd round. You're essentially paying for that one month of production. I like Tulo myself but I don't think I'd take him in the top 5.

So who would you take at 4 and 5?
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 46)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Best Values 1st Round

Postby Grounded Polo » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:13 pm

AquaMan2342 wrote:There's still a pretty big difference between top 5 overall and mid-2nd round. You're essentially paying for that one month of production. I like Tulo myself but I don't think I'd take him in the top 5.

I think only Pujols, Hanley, Miggy, Votto, and Braun are locks to retain first round value. Every one 6 through 15 is pretty much interchangeable. Tulo's HR/RBI numbers could be the same even with another 100 at bats aka 2010 numbers and he was a borderline first rounder last year. It's not like he's Mauer here, he's had 3 big power seasons, he can still hit 30 homers, not like he needed a herculean September to prove he could.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby rotoquest » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:51 pm

Grounded Polo: I think only Pujols, Hanley, Miggy, Votto, and Braun are locks to retain first round value.

Explain to me why Braun is so vested in the 1st round and Holiday goes late 2nd round. If Braun further declines in HR again this year, I think he falls out of the 1st round.
2010 Totals
Braun, Ryan Runs 101 HR25 RBI's 103 SB 14 BA 0.3037

Matt Holiday Runs 95 HR28 RBI's 103 SB 9 BA 0.3121
rotoquest
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 255)

Postby Grounded Polo » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:10 pm

rotoquest wrote:
Grounded Polo: I think only Pujols, Hanley, Miggy, Votto, and Braun are locks to retain first round value.

Explain to me why Braun is so vested in the 1st round and Holiday goes late 2nd round. If Braun further declines in HR again this year, I think he falls out of the 1st round.
2010 Totals

I have Holliday at around 12/13 myself but like I said, 6 through 15 is interchangeable. I took Holliday at 13 in the Holics mock, late 2nd is ridiculous, I'm targeting him heavily. The 15 steals a year boost his value and even a down year for Braun was identical to Holliday's 2010 per baseball monster.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby rotoquest » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:06 pm

Grounded Polo wrote:
rotoquest wrote:

2010 Totals

I have Holliday at around 12/13 myself but like I said, 6 through 15 is interchangeable. I took Holliday at 13 in the Holics mock, late 2nd is ridiculous, I'm targeting him heavily. The 15 steals a year boost his value and even a down year for Braun was identical to Holliday's 2010 per baseball monster.

Thanks, that's good to know because I thought I was the only one that had Holiday ranked top 2nd round. ;-D
rotoquest
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 255)

Postby Scooter1027 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:46 pm

I view Holliday in that early 2nd round range as well, I think people undersell him. I think Braun's a 1st rounder because he has a .300/100/25/100/15 type floor, which is slick, but also presents the upside of a guy who has hit .320+ twice in 4 years, popped 37 HR and stolen 20 bases before. So to me, he's safe while still maintaining upside. Holliday is similar, but I don't think he has quite the power/speed upside. He's just a notch below for me though.
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby cs3 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:00 pm

rookies and cream wrote:
AquaMan2342 wrote:
Grounded Polo wrote:

I'll take Braun at 5 in real drafts but in a shallower league like 10-12 teams and no MI/CI/5 OF, I'd think about Tulo since the margin for error isn't so thin.

There's still a pretty big difference between top 5 overall and mid-2nd round. You're essentially paying for that one month of production. I like Tulo myself but I don't think I'd take him in the top 5.

interesting discussion in this thread. ive been contemplating this very issue as i have the 3rd pick in a first yr keeper league.
Ive outlined a few scenarios that can get me 3 very solid picks in rounds 1-3 here:
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=423839
but i need to think about future keeper considerations as well.
anyone want to comment on my situation?
cs3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby DaSh 1s » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:19 am

I am halfway through the Josh Hamilton book. I am enjoying it so much, my mind is playing tricks on me to draft him this year. I better resist.
B-Chad wrote:Pedroia's LD rate of 20% is reason to believe he'll maintain a higher BA then Cano. It should also be noted he hits more FB's then Cano, which means that even if he posts a lower HR/FB then Cano, he should come in reasonably close to Cano in HR's
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 1)

Postby AquaMan2342 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:56 pm

rookies and cream wrote:
AquaMan2342 wrote:
Grounded Polo wrote:

Cabrera, Votto and Braun behind Pujols/Hanley.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby Ender » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:37 pm

Pujols is the best value in the 1st round. The drop from Pujols to Ramirez is bigger than the drop from Ramirez to the 12th best player. Talent wise it won't surprise me if Braun is a value pick but that side injury of his really slowed him down last year suppressing his numbers(there was no power dip, just an injury) and now he is complaining about it again this year, I think there is more risk with him than people think.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 451)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers