draft strategy question - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

draft strategy question

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

draft strategy question

Postby gleemonex » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:00 pm

5x5 h2h 12 team redraft. 1b,2b,3b,IF, 4of, c, 9 pitchers. I usually play roto, but am doing this league with some friends. So I'm not used to the different format. I'm thinking of punting avg. I figure this will allow me to get guys like Dunn, Uggla, Chris Young, BJ, Stubbs, ect to rack up on 4 of the 5 offensive categories. I'll draft for all 5 pitching categories, hoping to be strong in all but avg and win 4/5 bat cats most weeks. Thoughts on the strategy?
gleemonex
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: draft strategy question

Postby RyeWhiskey » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:03 pm

gleemonex wrote:5x5 h2h 12 team redraft. 1b,2b,3b,IF, 4of, c, 9 pitchers. I usually play roto, but am doing this league with some friends. So I'm not used to the different format. I'm thinking of punting avg. I figure this will allow me to get guys like Dunn, Uggla, Chris Young, BJ, Stubbs, ect to rack up on 4 of the 5 offensive categories. I'll draft for all 5 pitching categories, hoping to be strong in all but avg and win 4/5 bat cats most weeks. Thoughts on the strategy?

Bad strategy.

Never punt categories. In a H2H league a hot player can dominate a week entirely. Go for the best value in terms of hitters when you draft, and shoot for upside with your SPs in rounds 7-14.
RyeWhiskey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby urbanbreez » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:33 pm

AngryMonkey wrote:
gleemonex wrote:5x5 h2h 12 team redraft. 1b,2b,3b,IF, 4of, c, 9 pitchers. I usually play roto, but am doing this league with some friends. So I'm not used to the different format. I'm thinking of punting avg. I figure this will allow me to get guys like Dunn, Uggla, Chris Young, BJ, Stubbs, ect to rack up on 4 of the 5 offensive categories. I'll draft for all 5 pitching categories, hoping to be strong in all but avg and win 4/5 bat cats most weeks. Thoughts on the strategy?

Bad strategy.

Never punt categories. In a H2H league a hot player can dominate a week entirely. Go for the best value in terms of hitters when you draft, and shoot for upside with your SPs in rounds 7-14.

disagree. in h2h, i think you can punt a category or even two while drafting as long as you know what you're doing. later, pick up bench players that can be plugged in the lineup for a boost in a particular category. it's never the guy playing it safe that wins the league, especially in h2h. it's usually the manager with a bold draft strategy and just a bit of luck that takes the crown.
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby RyeWhiskey » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:40 pm

urbanbreez wrote:
AngryMonkey wrote:

Bad strategy.

disagree. in h2h, i think you can punt a category or even two while drafting as long as you know what you're doing. later, pick up bench players that can be plugged in the lineup for a boost in a particular category. it's never the guy playing it safe that wins the league, especially in h2h. it's usually the manager with a bold draft strategy and just a bit of luck that takes the crown.

By punting a category you are simply shooting yourself in the foot before you start the race.

I didn't say "place it safe." I said to draft according to value in the early rounds and reach for upside SPs in round 7-14. This isn't conventional or safe, it's smart.
The only category remotely worth punting is SBs. And that's due to guys like R Davis, Gardner, etc.. who can be had for cheap late. Average is not something I'd punt - quite the contrary. Higher average hitters going in early round picks tend to be more consistent hitters, which is helpful in H2H.
RyeWhiskey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby urbanbreez » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:53 pm

AngryMonkey wrote:
urbanbreez wrote:
AngryMonkey wrote:
Bad strategy.

By punting a category you are simply shooting yourself in the foot before you start the race.

I didn't say "place it safe." I said to draft according to value in the early rounds and reach for upside SPs in round 7-14. This isn't conventional or safe, it's smart.
The only category remotely worth punting is SBs. And that's due to guys like R Davis, Gardner, etc.. who can be had for cheap late. Average is not something I'd punt - quite the contrary. Higher average hitters going in early round picks tend to be more consistent hitters, which is helpful in H2H.

i think batting average is a terrible strategy to base your draft on. without knowing what categories this guy's league has, i'd go with OPS way before average in any of the rounds... especially the early ones. and to your point regarding late round guys that can help in a particular category - there are tons of high average guys that can be had late in the draft. they're even more readily available than high sb players.

point is, crafting your team to lock down certain categories from the start and adding in complimentary players later to help with the weaknesses is usually the way to go in h2h.
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby RyeWhiskey » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:59 pm

urbanbreez wrote:
AngryMonkey wrote:
urbanbreez wrote:disagree. in h2h, i think you can punt a category or even two while drafting as long as you know what you're doing. later, pick up bench players that can be plugged in the lineup for a boost in a particular category. it's never the guy playing it safe that wins the league, especially in h2h. it's usually the manager with a bold draft strategy and just a bit of luck that takes the crown.

i think batting average is a terrible strategy to base your draft on. without knowing what categories this guy's league has, i'd go with OPS way before average in any of the rounds... especially the early ones. and to your point regarding late round guys that can help in a particular category - there are tons of high average guys that can be had late in the draft. they're even more readily available than high sb players.

point is, crafting your team to lock down certain categories from the start and adding in complimentary players later to help with the weaknesses is usually the way to go in h2h.

I disagree with your final point. I think crafting your team to get the best value out of each pick in the early rounds, and then assessing what holes you need to fill, is the best approach for H2H.

With your approach, if one of your players who you're relying on to "lock down" those cats gets hurt, your whole strategy is down the toilet. With my approach, if you lose a top guy to an injury, you have enough flexibility to work around it.
RyeWhiskey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby urbanbreez » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:08 pm

AngryMonkey wrote:
urbanbreez wrote:
AngryMonkey wrote:

I disagree with your final point. I think crafting your team to get the best value out of each pick in the early rounds, and then assessing what holes you need to fill, is the best approach for H2H.

With your approach, if one of your players who you're relying on to "lock down" those cats gets hurt, your whole strategy is down the toilet. With my approach, if you lose a top guy to an injury, you have enough flexibility to work around it.

guess we're just going to have to agree to disagree then. :-b

the OP might find this thread useful:
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=404893
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby RyeWhiskey » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:17 pm

urbanbreez wrote:
AngryMonkey wrote:
urbanbreez wrote:

guess we're just going to have to agree to disagree then. :-b

the OP might find this thread useful:
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=404893

I guess we will. ;-)
We should probably stop hijacking this person's thread too...
RyeWhiskey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby silentjim » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:37 pm

I'll point out that if you do happen to punt categories, punting efficiency categories is the way to go (whether hitting or pitching).

Someone like Mark Reynolds can have a good week and hit .500+ for you and you can sneak a win, but he's not going to magically steal 5 bases. The same thing can be said of ERA or WHIP or any other non-counting pitching stat. Nobody's can throw good games and only give up a run or two and help you win ERA, but the guy isn't magically going to K 15 batters if he's not a strikeout pitcher.

As a fantasy basketball guy, the best analogy is a guy like Shaq. Some weeks he might shoot 75% from the free thrown line and even though you're tanking FT% you might get a win. But if you're tanking three pointers, the odds of you lucking into a three point winning cat are all but zero as Shaq isn't going to make any threes.
silentjim
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Basketball Mod
(Past Year: 76)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby gleemonex » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:36 pm

to answer an earlier question, the league is 5x5- runs/rbi/hrs/steals/avg. 4 of's and 1 infielder
in a mock last night i used this strategy and it went something like
1 (pick 6)miggy 1b
2 kemp 0f1
3 dunn if
4 kershaw sp1
5 bj of2
6 weaver sp2
7 c young of3
8 stubbs of4
9 hill 2b
10 marcum sp3
11 dan hudson sp4
12 mark reynolds 3b
13 ian desmond ss
14 morrow sp5
15 thornton rp1
16 hanrahan rp2
17 tababta ut
18 lyon rp 3
19 gio sp 6
20 ianetta c
ect
seems like a solid team, minus avg of course. I wouldn't do this in roto bc I would be all but guaranteed last place in avg and killing my overall total. but with a team like this in h2h it seems I'd have a better than good shot at winning runs, steals, rbi, and hrs each week.
and dont worry about hijacking the thread. that's the whole point. get a discussion going.
gleemonex
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions