Closers: Next in line - Chapman / Sale / McGee / Bard / etc. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Closers: Next in line - Chapman / Sale / McGee / Bard / etc.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Closers: Next in line - Chapman / Sale / McGee / Bard / etc.

Postby 2hole » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:28 am

My recent 5x5 roto autodraft did not go as well as it could have.

I only have 1 closer (Hanrahan), would like to have 2 near-closers on my bench, hoping that 1 will get the chance to step up.

(Also looking to trade an extra OF to one of the teams with 3 closers.)

Right now I have Chapman and Venters. Would you suggest dropping one of them for one of the below?

Available on waiver wire:
McGee
Sale
Bard
League
Capps
Ogando

Thanks!
2hole
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Closers: Next in line - Chapman / Sale / McGee / Bard /

Postby GTW » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:45 am

I would definitely hold onto Venters since he should get a couple saves a month due to righty-lefty matchups even if he doesn't win the closer role outright. As for your other bench closer, it really depends on if you are looking for guaranteed saves in the short term or holding a RP who could potentially lock down the closer role.
If you're just looking for a short term fill I'd go with League since Aardsma is going to miss at least a couple weeks to start the season. Capps may also get a couple early saves if Nathan can't go on back to back nights but I don't see that lasting long.
On the other hand, if you want to grab a lottery ticket who could hold a closer spot for most of the year I'd have Ogando at the top of the list since TEX is trying out Felix as a starter. Fangraphs recently wrote an article titled "Who closes if Felix starts?" about the TEX situation that you might want to check out. McGee seems like a decent candidate but I think Joe Maddon will use matchups to close out games which would be frustrating. Chapman and Sale are basically in the same situation in my eyes with Sale getting a slight edge since Cordero would have to implode to lose his job and the CHI situation is still up in the air. You can forget about Bard since BOS has both he and Jenks to fall back on if Paps faulters.

Short Term
1. League
2. Capps

Long Term
1. Ogando
2. Sale
3. Chapman
4. Capps
5. McGee
GTW
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby MaudDib » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:50 am

I like both McGee and League. League should have the closers gig for at least the short term and I am not sure when Aardsma will be ready. I also like McGee. So I would try and add both but if I could. i would be ok with letting Venters go. I think Kimbrel will get the chance to close, unless you see Kimbrel struggle of course.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby 2hole » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:14 pm

Interesting replies so far, thanks!

I guess if I can’t swing a deal for a closer, I’ll need to pick up a “now” closer to stay afloat in the standings.

As suggested, I could use the other “lottery ticket” style.

So leaning toward League and Ogando/McGee.

Any other thoughts?
2hole
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby RyeWhiskey » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:51 pm

I would look for League and Capps as short-term fill-ins with the possibility of holding the job or getting it back if another injury should occur.

Help with mine? viewtopic.php?f=26&t=423721
RyeWhiskey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions