Pitcher Strategy - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Beginner's Forum

Pitcher Strategy

Pitcher Strategy

Postby kesaber » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:43 pm

10 team H2H league

I'm new to fantasy baseball and baseball in general so bear with me. In my league there are 10 pitching categories. W, L, CG, SV, BB, K, GIDP, HLD, ERA, AND WHIP. I was thinking of my drafting strategy of drafting all batters first, and then draft pitchers. Also, I wanted to go heavy on relief pitchers instead of starting pitchers. The reason being I feel confident I would win: L, SV, BB, HLD, ERA, and WHIP, assuming my opponents go for more starting pitchers. That means I'd have good offense, and I'd win 6/10 pitching categories. Why would this potentially be a bad idea.

Again, sorry, but I haven't even really watched baseball before and don't know how it works, but I heard that there's no way of knowing if a relief pitcher was going to play or not. We have no max acquisitions in my league, so I was going to pick up and drop relief pitchers on a daily basis so that I could get the minimum 50 innings in. Is it true there's no way to know ahead of team what relief pitcher/closer is going to play? Is there anyway to manipulate my strategy to make it better or should I ditch it all together?

Thanks
10 team H2H.

Offense:

R, H, HR, RBI, SB, IBB, K, GIDP, AVG, XBH

Pitching:

W, L, CG, SV, BB, K, GIDP, HLD, ERA, WHIP - with a minimum of 50 innings played

C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, IF, LF, CF, RF, OF, Util, SP, SP, SP, RP, RP, RP, P, P, P, BN, BN, BN, BN
kesaber
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: Pitcher Strategy

Postby RyeWhiskey » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:16 pm

kesaber wrote:10 team H2H league

I'm new to fantasy baseball and baseball in general so bear with me. In my league there are 10 pitching categories. W, L, CG, SV, BB, K, GIDP, HLD, ERA, AND WHIP. I was thinking of my drafting strategy of drafting all batters first, and then draft pitchers. Also, I wanted to go heavy on relief pitchers instead of starting pitchers. The reason being I feel confident I would win: L, SV, BB, HLD, ERA, and WHIP, assuming my opponents go for more starting pitchers. That means I'd have good offense, and I'd win 6/10 pitching categories. Why would this potentially be a bad idea.

Again, sorry, but I haven't even really watched baseball before and don't know how it works, but I heard that there's no way of knowing if a relief pitcher was going to play or not. We have no max acquisitions in my league, so I was going to pick up and drop relief pitchers on a daily basis so that I could get the minimum 50 innings in. Is it true there's no way to know ahead of team what relief pitcher/closer is going to play? Is there anyway to manipulate my strategy to make it better or should I ditch it all together?

Thanks

Well, your setup definitely favors RPs more than SPs. The RP garners L, SV, BB, HLD, ERA, and WHIP as positives, while the SP only W, CG (menial stat), K, and GIDP (another menial stat). So it's basically 6-2 in favor of RPs. I would approach your draft with the following strategy:
Use the Cafe Rankings (on the left hand side of this page) for position rankings, and print them out for your draft. Cross off the players as they get selected so you know who's still available.
- Go hitters early (rounds 1-5) and draft according to value.
- Grab one, or two, good SPs in rounds 6-9 (Hamels/Price/Hanson/Gallardo/etc...).
- Then start drafting the best closers in combination with more hitters. You should aim for guys like Bailey, Soria, Marmol, Street, and Thorton as your closers. Get 4.
- Continue to draft the best hitters available with some good SPs (low ERA/WHIP guys like Lilly will prove valuable).
- As your draft progresses, look for the best mid-RPs. Off the top of my head: Adams, Gregerson, Soriano, Bard. Get 3 of these guys.

You should end up with 4 great closers, the 3 best mid-RPs in the game, 2 great starters, and a handful of decent SPs with upside. This will control the pitching statistics in your favor, netting you L, SV, BB, HLD, ERA, and WHIP each week. Be sure that you don't draft RPs too early and sacrifice hitters - in order for the strategy to work (as you are playing the stat categories to your favor) you will need a good lineup.

It would be helpful to see the hitting categories as well, but this is a general outline for how I'd work your strategy.
For you info, I have a league which is very similar to this one and I won it last year with this strategy.
RyeWhiskey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kesaber » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:02 pm

Thanks! That was really helpful. If I would ask you another question. If it's my pick and the top 24 players have been drafted. Is it a bad idea/considered reaching if I went for someone ranked around 33?
10 team H2H.

Offense:

R, H, HR, RBI, SB, IBB, K, GIDP, AVG, XBH

Pitching:

W, L, CG, SV, BB, K, GIDP, HLD, ERA, WHIP - with a minimum of 50 innings played

C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, IF, LF, CF, RF, OF, Util, SP, SP, SP, RP, RP, RP, P, P, P, BN, BN, BN, BN
kesaber
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby pjalst » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:47 pm

kesaber wrote:Thanks! That was really helpful. If I would ask you another question. If it's my pick and the top 24 players have been drafted. Is it a bad idea/considered reaching if I went for someone ranked around 33?

I agree with Angry Monkey's strategy, however in the couple of drafts I've completed this year Soriano went before a lot of closers. He may not be available after you've selected your SP's and closers. Also, if this is an established league that you're in and the guys have played with these CAT's before, they may be using the same strategy as you.

In a 10 team league, if the top 24 players are drafted you''ll only be in the 3rd round. 24-33 is only a 9 player difference, so I would hardly call it reaching. But your strategy in the early rounds should be to go after the best available players. If it's your 3rd round pick and you already have a 1B and the next best available player is a 1B, You can draft that 1B if you also use CI or UT. If you don't want to draft another 1B, then it's ok to move on to fill another position.
pjalst
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 61)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Beginner's Forum