Trading Draft Picks - Advice Wanted - WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Trading Draft Picks - Advice Wanted - WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Trading Draft Picks - Advice Wanted - WHIR

Postby GTW » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:38 pm

This year my league decided to do something a little different and has allowed the trading of draft picks. So far there have been about 5 trades, including one of my own, which has added a lot of excitement and strategy through the torturous wait for the season to begin. Since Yahoo only gives 30 minutes of advanced notice for the draft order we used a random draft order generator to determine each other's picks much further in advance.

I'd like to hear from everyone what your strategy would be in a league like this. Has anyone else ever done this? Keep in mind this is not a keeper league.

As I mentioned above, I've already gotten my feet wet and made a trade which involved 3 teams. I drew the 5th pick originally but wanted to move up to #4 once I heard that owner was looking to move out of that spot. The resulting trade for me was as follows:

gave up - #5, #16, #65, #185
received - #4, #19, #99, #138

My thinking for giving up #65 was that rounds 6-8 are usually when I grab my first pitcher and this year the pitchers in that range have very similar value. So, I figured I could wait a round to grab a SP. My goal was to load up in rounds 10-15 where I've noticed there tends to be good value since others start reaching for sub-par closers and filling holes with weaker hitting options.

Feel free to mock my trade, I'll still help out with your latest post.
GTW
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Trading Draft Picks - Advice Wanted - WHIR

Postby onitapgr » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:55 am

If you wanted 4th pick, it's not terrible. Draft pick trades are hard to gauge, unless its obviously lopsided. This seems fair. Time will tell!

Help with mine?
viewtopic.php?t=423689
onitapgr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby 2hole » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:15 am

I know that I could screw up any draft, no matter where I pick. So probably wouldn't bother making draft pick trades ;-7

I actually like what you received, assuming that there is someone at #4 that you MUST have, that would not be there at 5. I also moving up the later rounds, good value could be there.

In general, trading picks would make more sense to me if it were a keeper league, players for picks, etc.
2hole
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby hoosierdaddy785 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:31 am

I honestly like the package received.

I had a similar trade in a 20 team dynasty, sending the 15th and 35th overall picks for the 3rd and 43rd overall picks.

viewtopic.php?t=423674
hoosierdaddy785
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 2)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions