Jake Peavy - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Jake Peavy

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Jake Peavy

Postby StlSluggers » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:33 pm

I read June as a probable return date in one place, and then I read April in another.

Any clue what the club is saying? :-S
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Re: Jake Peavy

Postby Fenris-77 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:57 pm

According to news out of Arizona (via ESPN) Peavy's first spring training outing went well and he still thinks he has a chance to make the opening day roster. Even if he doesn't, he won't be out until June.
Fenris-77
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 51)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby xtreme99 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:55 pm

StlSluggers wrote:I read June as a probable return date in one place, and then I read April in another.

Best thing to do is let someone else draft him and ruin their team. He is a ERA/WHIP bomb that will ruin your week.
I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.
xtreme99
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 20)

Postby StlSluggers » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:04 pm

xtreme99 wrote:
StlSluggers wrote:I read June as a probable return date in one place, and then I read April in another.

Best thing to do is let someone else draft him and ruin their team. He is a ERA/WHIP bomb that will ruin your week.

Well, that's certainly not happening.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Fenris-77 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:06 am

xtreme99 wrote:Best thing to do is let someone else draft him and ruin their team. He is a ERA/WHIP bomb that will ruin your week.

:-? Sure he pitched a lot of years at Petco, but he still has a career ERA of 3.36 and a career WHIP of 1.19. Heck, even last year his WHIP was only 1.23, which is hardly a 'bomb'. We're talking about a guy that you're only going to draft really late in the hopes of a bounce back. At that point you kind of have to look past last year. If he pitches badly early on you drop him and grab a hot waiver add, 'cause that's how late round arms work.
Fenris-77
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 51)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby SCOTTYG » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:20 pm

Fenris-77 wrote:If he pitches badly early on you drop him and grab a hot waiver add, 'cause that's how late round arms work.

agreed!
SCOTTYG
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Rance Mulliniks » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:07 pm

News from today - Peavy shut down with suspected rotator cuff tendinitis.

Peavy met with the team doctors Sunday, and they prescribed anti-inflammatory medication a day after he pitched 5 2-3 innings against Oakland.

Peavy said the current issue is not related to his surgery and that the next 48 hours will determine whether he starts Thursday as scheduled.
Mulliniks Watch: Still stuck on 1325 games 3569 AB 445 R 972 H 73 HR 435 RBI 0.272 AVG 15 SB
Rance Mulliniks
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 27)

Postby xtreme99 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:30 pm

Rance Mulliniks wrote:News from today - Peavy shut down with suspected rotator cuff tendinitis.

Peavy met with the team doctors Sunday, and they prescribed anti-inflammatory medication a day after he pitched 5 2-3 innings against Oakland.

Peavy said the current issue is not related to his surgery and that the next 48 hours will determine whether he starts Thursday as scheduled.

Like I said, stay away from Peavy or you'll be sorry.
I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.
xtreme99
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby dc928 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:59 pm

xtreme99 wrote:
Rance Mulliniks wrote:News from today - Peavy shut down with suspected rotator cuff tendinitis.

Like I said, stay away from Peavy or you'll be sorry.

Most likely he is going to be an end of draft option, I don't see why you can't take a flyer on him. He is a high risk / reward guy. If he performs, great, if not just drop him. No biggie.
dc928
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby xtreme99 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:39 pm

dc928 wrote:Most likely he is going to be an end of draft option, I don't see why you can't take a flyer on him. He is a high risk / reward guy. If he performs, great, if not just drop him. No biggie.

I get what you're saying but his ADP is 15-20th (200th pick) round in most leagues and those aren't "who cares rounds" in my league. These are the rounds that make championship teams as everyone is about the same coming through rounds 1-10. Burning a pick on someone that soon who will be on the DL all year or blow up your pitching stats when he does return for 100 innings is not a wise decision. Much safer bets with upside are people like Gio Gonzalez, Ryan Raburn, Brian Matusz, Jose Tabata and James Shields. These guys will have my pick while others waste theirs on Peavy.
xtreme99
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates