iPad - How to get StatTracker to Work on it - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

iPad - How to get StatTracker to Work on it

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: iPad - How to get StatTracker to Work on it

Postby Phatferd » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:17 am

aIen wrote:
Phatferd wrote: I'd love your answer just to create some discussion so I can see the other side and maybe learn a thing or two. ;-D


Main reason I'm getting the iPad over Xoom is because of iPad's design. I too switched from an iPhone 3G to an EVO 4G. While I like my EVO, I still think the iPhone is more well built than HTC's products or Motorola's. I've claimed my manufacturer's warranty on the EVO already once because I think it overheated and messed up the sensitivity of the touch screen. I'm sure Apple has its problems but I've been very happy with all their products thus far. Had PowerBook for 5 years before it got stolen. My 2nd Gen iPod broke maybe 6 years in. To this day, I still think every single app is use is much better on the iPhone than the EVO. The apps on the EVO are just not as great functionality wise....not a computer programmer so I don't know if its because its harder to code or if iOS just had a head start. I'm basing this off of the CNBC and Bloomberg app that I use routinely. Only reason I like my EVO better is because I can use Wifi rooted (i guess you can too with a jailbroken iPhone) and because of the Google Voice integration.

I'll also be the first to admit Apple's marketing has something to do with it. The "cool" factor of owning an Apple product. And I think I can make the sacrafices by using a remote desktop for StatTracker and Skyfire for live streaming...though I read on engadget about some iSwifter app that might do the trick also.

Lastly, price also has a lot to do with it. I know the specs are way better for the Xoom, but for $800, I can't justify it when it's clearly not a laptop/desktop replacement. $600 for the middle iPad sounds much more reasonable to me. And iTunes integration is pretty seemless for me.

What's funny is that, during 2005, when I worked at Circuit City, I'd tell customers interested in the mp3 players that what Sony had out or Rios(?) had out were much better than the iPod specs wise and I believe price wise even though I owned an iPod myself. However, iPods just kept flying off the shelves...probably because of the form factor and the easy to use mantra. I tried to be as honest to the customers with each product and it appears in the end they still choose Apple because of those reasons. Sure enough, looking back, they probably made the right decision because iTunes is still alive and kicking and all the other mp3 players are probably outta production with no regular updates.


Fair enough, even though I disagree with a lot of it, but that's why we have choice and why both sides are making a healthy profit! I have no problem with apple, I have a macbook pro that I am typing on as we speak. I have a windows7 machine I built a few months back and have fallen in love with windows7. I use both Mac's and PCs all day at work (I test website functionality along with flash and other creative digital widgets and gizmos along with writing the test scripts) and find the advantages to each.

I think my EVO is built like a rock, but I can see how the feel comes off as cheap. I've dropped it so many times and nothing, while I dropped my iPhone once and it shattered. It also always seemed to have the sim card fly out when it fell to the ground, which was annoying in parking lots. My only beef with the apps on android is that you have to manually update some of them. I guess I'm in the minority about iTunes because I hate it's chunkiness, even though I use it because iPod's are the best mp3 players.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 4058
Joined: 6 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Highway 10

Re: iPad - How to get StatTracker to Work on it

Postby bleach168 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:30 am

iPods had the clickwheel. ;-D That was the shiznit. Everything else about it was lame, but that clickwheel was genius.

And Xooms are not expensive. The $600 Xoom has the same if not better specs as the $600 iPad2. And if you wait a few months, I bet the Xoom will come down in price while the iPad2 will still be $600.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy Expert
Posts: 5058
(Past Year: 17)
Joined: 22 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: iPad - How to get StatTracker to Work on it

Postby Tavish » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:19 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:On a separate tangent, it's an exciting time to dabble with JavaScript. I'm finding out more clients are curious about Node.js, Backbone.js, jQuery, and Sproutcore in general and they're becoming more open to an HTML5/CSS3/JS solution instead of Flash.

Pretty much any framework that gets people to move away from Prototype is good in my book. I still haven't toyed with Sproutcore but having used Dojo I'm not real big on the toolkits that expect web apps to be written in nearly pure JS. The language itself just feels kludgy compared to creating the same app in RoR with jQuery or even using Zend/CakePHP.
Image

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
Posts: 11070
(Past Year: 26)
Joined: 3 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: iPad - How to get StatTracker to Work on it

Postby The Artful Dodger » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:39 pm

Tavish wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:On a separate tangent, it's an exciting time to dabble with JavaScript. I'm finding out more clients are curious about Node.js, Backbone.js, jQuery, and Sproutcore in general and they're becoming more open to an HTML5/CSS3/JS solution instead of Flash.

Pretty much any framework that gets people to move away from Prototype is good in my book. I still haven't toyed with Sproutcore but having used Dojo I'm not real big on the toolkits that expect web apps to be written in nearly pure JS. The language itself just feels kludgy compared to creating the same app in RoR with jQuery or even using Zend/CakePHP.


Sproutcore is great if you want to build "desktop-like" web applications, like say a photo manager/viewer. Performance-wise, the loading times can be a bit slow. It kind of reminds me of ExtJS.
Image
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

User avatar
CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 21943
(Past Year: 677)
Joined: 3 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Downloading rice

Previous

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Wednesday, Sep. 17
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

LA Dodgers at Colorado
(3:10 pm)
San Francisco at Arizona
(3:40 pm)
Toronto at Baltimore
(7:05 pm)
Boston at Pittsburgh
(7:05 pm)
Washington at Atlanta
(7:10 pm)
Miami at NY Mets
(7:10 pm)
NY Yankees at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Cincinnati at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
Cleveland at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Chi White Sox at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
Detroit at Minnesota
(8:10 pm)
Milwaukee at St. Louis
(8:15 pm)
Seattle at LA Angels
(10:05 pm)
Texas at Oakland
(10:05 pm)
Philadelphia at San Diego
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact