iPad - How to get StatTracker to Work on it - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

iPad - How to get StatTracker to Work on it

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: iPad - How to get StatTracker to Work on it

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:58 pm

You know, I have to give Apple a lot of credit. They design aesthetically beautiful products and interfaces, and more importantly, they have such a strong cult following the likes I've never seen. Apple fans are like coke addicts who just happen to have a depressing taste in music.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bleach168 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:31 pm

I have 3 friends with an iPad - One is freaking rich, one got it as a gift from the freaking rich friend, and one won it in a raffle. I don't think any of them really use it.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Postby Phatferd » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:50 pm

I work for a company that builds websites and flash modules for HUGE clients and I'll be the first to tell that I would never buy an iPad or iPhone for this reason alone.

We had a big client who we built a website for buy a bunch of iPad's for their sales force to show off their site on sales calls and never budgeted for this in the business requirements and scope so they had to come back to us and have us make all of their videos HTML5 for a lot of money. I just thought this was a funny story.

Anyways, I think tablets are a gimmick for now and really don't serve much of a purpose, but if I were to fork over the cash, I'd get a Xoom. I'd never buy Apple for the sake that it doesn't support flash and most HTML5 development is years away from becoming mainstream.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby jfg » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:17 pm

No flash is not a big deal to me. I'd rather use an app than browse a webpage anyway and other than stattracker there isn't anything I use on my laptop that I'm missing on my phone.

I think tablets are pretty sweet. They aren't PC killers but they aren't really meant to be. I think the best combo right now would be a powerful desktop and a tablet. If I had one I'd probably replace my laptop with a desktop.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby aIen » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:41 am

Phatferd wrote:I work for a company that builds websites and flash modules for HUGE clients and I'll be the first to tell that I would never buy an iPad or iPhone for this reason alone.

We had a big client who we built a website for buy a bunch of iPad's for their sales force to show off their site on sales calls and never budgeted for this in the business requirements and scope so they had to come back to us and have us make all of their videos HTML5 for a lot of money. I just thought this was a funny story.

Anyways, I think tablets are a gimmick for now and really don't serve much of a purpose, but if I were to fork over the cash, I'd get a Xoom. I'd never buy Apple for the sake that it doesn't support flash and most HTML5 development is years away from becoming mainstream.

Is HTML5 that much better? Maybe that new software by Adobe to convert videos will speed things up. The two main things I'll do on my new iPad (Friday) is stream live sports and stattracker :) Hopefully there's some ways around that.
aIen
T-Ball Trainer

Postby Phatferd » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:54 am

aIen wrote:
Phatferd wrote:I work for a company that builds websites and flash modules for HUGE clients and I'll be the first to tell that I would never buy an iPad or iPhone for this reason alone.

Is HTML5 that much better? Maybe that new software by Adobe to convert videos will speed things up. The two main things I'll do on my new iPad (Friday) is stream live sports and stattracker :) Hopefully there's some ways around that.

HTML5 being better is debatable. It's not apples to oranges, when comparing to Flash. It won't build .swf objects or create motion graphic images like Flash does at it's core, but when it comes to embedding in a webpage, I think it will become standard. HTML never had video embedding controls (at least nothing beyond the very very basics) so all HTML5 is essentially the newest generation with built in video tagging. I don't see how it isn't the future once browsers adapt and support it at or close to 100% compatibility.

On a side note, and this isn't a dig at all as I know everyone has their reasons, but why would you buy something AND be excited for it knowing you'll have to "hack" it somehow to get it to do what you want? To me, this is exactly what Apple wants and has done an excellent job at (I can't condemn them since it pays the bills tenfold) by creating "hype" around a "cool" product. Why not get an Android based tablet like the Xoom? Because of the app support? I traded my iPhone in for the EVO when it came out and I have not run into 1 app that was exclusive to the iPhone. A couple I had to wait a few months for them to convert, but sense then I have had no issue getting the apps I wanted and now it's almost a moot point in my book. I'd love your answer just to create some discussion so I can see the other side and maybe learn a thing or two. ;-D
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:59 am

Xooms are quite expensive, aren't they? I've read that they range from $600-800. At least a high-end iPad 2 costs a bit over $800, but at least it comes with 64 GB storage. I don't think tablets are gimmicky when there's been kind of an inevitability until the right sort of tablet came along.

As far as HTML5 goes, it's not going to replace Flash nor is it meant to be a replacement alternative, at least in the next several years. Using a combination of HTML5, CSS3, and a mix of JavaScript libraries (i.e. jQuery) can still net you the same kind of rich web experience Flash can, but using half the CPU requirements of Flash and less expenses in terms of bandwidth. That's quite exciting. Flash offers better control, quality, and flexibility to do more intricate things (i.e. in-stream video advertising) and it simply just won't be usurped by HTML5. Also, it's just good practice to ensure those without HTML5-enabled browsers get more or less, the same content experience.

On a separate tangent, it's an exciting time to dabble with JavaScript. I'm finding out more clients are curious about Node.js, Backbone.js, jQuery, and Sproutcore in general and they're becoming more open to an HTML5/CSS3/JS solution instead of Flash.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby jfg » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:27 am

I've jailbroken my idevices and I've found that it ends up slower and not worth the extra functionality that I didn't really need in the first place. Battery went down faster, system slowed down. Basically all of the benefits of the iPhone went down the toilet by adding the features of the Android that just aren't necessary. If there is an app that does it and I don't have to go on the web, what the heck do I need flash for? To drain my battery? People show me their Android devices and show me all it can do and I have yet to see one thing that I wish my iPhone has. Then I see them plug it back into a charger.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby dAnzac » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:29 am

[Token ipads are gay post]
Cafe bets 2010:
W/j24jags - Oakland A's more wins then NYM
W/mweir145 - Oakland A's more wins then TOR (hat-trick?)
dAnzac
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby aIen » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:02 am

Phatferd wrote: I'd love your answer just to create some discussion so I can see the other side and maybe learn a thing or two. ;-D

Main reason I'm getting the iPad over Xoom is because of iPad's design. I too switched from an iPhone 3G to an EVO 4G. While I like my EVO, I still think the iPhone is more well built than HTC's products or Motorola's. I've claimed my manufacturer's warranty on the EVO already once because I think it overheated and messed up the sensitivity of the touch screen. I'm sure Apple has its problems but I've been very happy with all their products thus far. Had PowerBook for 5 years before it got stolen. My 2nd Gen iPod broke maybe 6 years in. To this day, I still think every single app is use is much better on the iPhone than the EVO. The apps on the EVO are just not as great functionality wise....not a computer programmer so I don't know if its because its harder to code or if iOS just had a head start. I'm basing this off of the CNBC and Bloomberg app that I use routinely. Only reason I like my EVO better is because I can use Wifi rooted (i guess you can too with a jailbroken iPhone) and because of the Google Voice integration.

I'll also be the first to admit Apple's marketing has something to do with it. The "cool" factor of owning an Apple product. And I think I can make the sacrafices by using a remote desktop for StatTracker and Skyfire for live streaming...though I read on engadget about some iSwifter app that might do the trick also.

Lastly, price also has a lot to do with it. I know the specs are way better for the Xoom, but for $800, I can't justify it when it's clearly not a laptop/desktop replacement. $600 for the middle iPad sounds much more reasonable to me. And iTunes integration is pretty seemless for me.

What's funny is that, during 2005, when I worked at Circuit City, I'd tell customers interested in the mp3 players that what Sony had out or Rios(?) had out were much better than the iPod specs wise and I believe price wise even though I owned an iPod myself. However, iPods just kept flying off the shelves...probably because of the form factor and the easy to use mantra. I tried to be as honest to the customers with each product and it appears in the end they still choose Apple because of those reasons. Sure enough, looking back, they probably made the right decision because iTunes is still alive and kicking and all the other mp3 players are probably outta production with no regular updates.
aIen
T-Ball Trainer

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk