When are your keepers due? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

When are your keepers due?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

When are your keepers due?

Postby 23 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:43 pm

Typically I ask for our league's keepers two weeks prior to the draft? When does your league submit? And is there any rhyme or reason as to why?
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: When are your keepers due?

Postby jonboycubs » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:22 pm

My lock date for keepers is one hour before draft, because honestly I do not see where it matters what date you pick them. I dont see any reason why when particular date matters. That is just me though. Think it is all the same, whether you pick them before the draft or two weeks before. your keepers are going to be your keepers. One reason it may make a difference is so others can see who your keepers are and rule them out of their draft strategy. That is the only thing I can think of.

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=423536
"I was taught you never, ever disrespect your opponent or your teammates or your organization or your manager and never, ever your uniform." Ryne Sandberg
jonboycubs
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Response Team
(Past Year: 1094)

Postby bigmck » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:46 pm

We do it a week before the draft. This gives everyone a chance to study who is available.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 62)

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:57 am

Looks like I picked a date roughly 2 weeks before our draft. It is a bit arbitrary. Usually falls on a weekend so I have more time to deal with the logistics and bookkeeping. Some of the delay is so that people have more time to prepare for the draft from an educated position. The other reason is because I need to incorporate keepers into the custom draft order. I imagine even on other sites, or if you use different rules, there is some work that needs to be done to designate keepers prior to the draft.

I'd guess 1-2 weeks prior to the draft is about when I normally end up choosing.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)

Postby 23 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:35 am

Makes sense to me, that was always my thinking, too. Thanks, guys.
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby oscarsf » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:09 pm

We take a different stance when it comes to keepers. We have to announce five keepers on the day spring training begins. Why? It makes spring training more interesting. We get together at a local watering hole and spend several hours announcing our "keepers" round-by-round.

This year, the owner with Neftali Feliz is watching the young pitcher's every spring start. Chase Utley's owner is learning about knee injuries. By the time we get to our March player draft, the league already has momentum and storylines.
oscarsf
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 12)

Postby dmendro » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:14 am

We have to declare our keepers two days before the draft so people can generate their FA lists.
---------------------------------------------------------
The Black 'N Blue Podcast
RSS Feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/BlacknBlue
Beating each other up one sport at a time.
dmendro
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby 23 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:28 am

oscarsf wrote:We take a different stance when it comes to keepers. We have to announce five keepers on the day spring training begins. Why? It makes spring training more interesting. We get together at a local watering hole and spend several hours announcing our "keepers" round-by-round.

This year, the owner with Neftali Feliz is watching the young pitcher's every spring start. Chase Utley's owner is learning about knee injuries. By the time we get to our March player draft, the league already has momentum and storylines.

We don't have the luxury of everyone being that centrally located, but I really like what you do, cool idea. Certainly promotes camaraderie and that's what it's all about. Unfortunately I'm in the same boat with Feliz!
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Matthias » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:26 am

bigmck wrote:We do it a week before the draft. This gives everyone a chance to study who is available.

This.

I prefer to do the draft as late as possible so everyone has a good idea of what the ST storylines look like, but keepers have to be in 5-7 days before the draft so everyone has time to figure out who is available and plan accordingly.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Commissioner's Corner