Keeper choice:Vlad/Swisher/Span/McGehee/Napoli/Butler/Lewis - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Keeper choice:Vlad/Swisher/Span/McGehee/Napoli/Butler/Lewis

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Keeper choice:Vlad/Swisher/Span/McGehee/Napoli/Butler/Lewis

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:25 pm

Tough final keeper choice in my main roto keeper league. We keep 10. It's 6x6 with OPS and holds. 16 teams. I'll be drafting 15th, and it's regular draft, not snake. It's an Orioles fan league, so your roster must have one Oriole.

I'm planning on keeping Halladay, Josh Johnson, Marcum, Pujols, Wright, Victorino.

Then I have to pick 4 from:
Vlad--second half dropoff, but he's an O
Swisher
Span--think he'll rebound? Gives me another good SB guy, but it looks like there may be several similar players available in rounds 11-15.
McGehee: Already have Wright, so he'd slot into util. I'm surprised he's being drafted as high as he is, because he's solid, but not spectacular.
Napoli: Was going to keep him, but have heard Rangers may not give him regular at bats.
Colby Lewis: Love him, but think I'm better off with two more hitters than another pitcher. Think I can do fine picking mid-round pitchers
Billy Butler

Any thoughts?
"I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to chase it."
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Keeper choice:Vlad/Swisher/Span/McGehee/Napoli/Butler/Le

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:33 pm

Swisher, Napoli, Vlad, Butler
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 325)

Postby jtsandwich » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:33 pm

My order would be...

Napoli, he's the #6 C in the league, the top 5 WILL be keepers and he will go in round 8 of your draft.
Butler, he will be solid, nothing flashy just yet in his career but it could still happen.
McGahee, leave less 3B for the rest of your league, trade him later when a top 3B goes down.
Span, you could do worse, it isn't the best keeper but you have enough SP's.
jtsandwich
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 104)

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:41 pm

I was 100% going to keep Napoli, until I started seeing stuff like this:

Texas Rangers manager Ron Washington said C Mike Napoli will be a spot starter at first base and at designated hitter, according to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram's Anthony Andro. Napoli will be the No. 3 catcher with the team. "He's not going to get 600 at-bats unless something happens to one of our veterans," Washington said of Napoli. "He's going to play an integral part in our season. All I have now is more choices."

While most depth charts have Napoli as #1, the Rangers seem to be saying that he'll be on the bench.
"I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to chase it."
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby RyeWhiskey » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:54 pm

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:Tough final keeper choice in my main roto keeper league. We keep 10. It's 6x6 with OPS and holds. 16 teams. I'll be drafting 15th, and it's regular draft, not snake. It's an Orioles fan league, so your roster must have one Oriole.

I'm planning on keeping Halladay, Josh Johnson, Marcum, Pujols, Wright, Victorino.

Then I have to pick 4 from:
Vlad--second half dropoff, but he's an O
Swisher
Span--think he'll rebound? Gives me another good SB guy, but it looks like there may be several similar players available in rounds 11-15.
McGehee: ;-D
Napoli: ;-D
Colby Lewis ;-D
Billy Butler ;-D

Any thoughts?

To be honest, I'm not excited by these keepers after Butler and Lewis.

I like Butler as a MI or Util as he won't hurt you anywhere except SBs and his OPS should be serviceable. As for Lewis, you simply have to keep him when confronted with the other names on this list. He'll K a good number of guys and keep your ratios respectable. Furthermore, he's your SP4, and you could do much worse.

As for the rest, none are particularly interesting as keepers, but I'd keep Napoli and McGehee. Since it's a 16 team league, C and 3B are going to be especially thin and by keeping both these guys you maximize your relative value on 3B and ensure that you'll have a viable C. I'd look to deal McGehee pretty quickly after the draft to someone who's low on power. Same for Napoli, perhaps you could swing them in one move?
RyeWhiskey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby avsfan4ever33 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:40 pm

McGehee
Napoli
Lewis
Butler
avsfan4ever33
General Manager