Setting up a Yahoo! keeper league draft... HELP!! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Setting up a Yahoo! keeper league draft... HELP!!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Setting up a Yahoo! keeper league draft... HELP!!

Postby TheGhost » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:19 pm

So this is my first year of being the commish of a keeper league. The draft here in a couple weeks will go as usual but I need to set up the parameters for the keeper league next year. I want to set it up where you get to use the draft slot that you drafted the guy in the following year. I think then you use a draft round one or two slots higher the year after that if you want to keep the particular player.

1) Will someone please explain to me how this works and the key points I need to remember when setting up a league like this?
2) Does yahoo! allow leagues to be set up like this? And if so, how much work does the application do for you?

Thanks!
TheGhost
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 101)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Setting up a Yahoo! keeper league draft... HELP!!

Postby Triplec223 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:38 pm

I'd also like to see an answer to this...I'm also setting up a first-year keeper league on Yahoo as well. We've had this league together for around five years, and we all decided to make it a keeper for this year. I'm clueless as to where to start on Yahoo.

Do you have to designate anywhere that this is a keeper league before the draft? Or do you set the keeper rules after teams have been drafted?
Triplec223
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:47 pm

So the first year of a keeper league looks very similar to the first year of any other league. It is really only next year that things will get interesting. I can't comment on what might happen between now and next season in our product, but as the product stands today, here is how this would probably develop.

- This year you might choose to allow trading of draft picks for next season. That is a new feature this year that can add strategy in a non-redraft league. That is a commish setting, and is totally optional.
- When next year rolls around, you as commish will want/need to set a custom draft order. That process is very flexible, since leagues use 3,853,028 different kinds of rules around keepers. The tool as it exists today lets you set a "base" draft order to be repeated every round, either snaking or non-snaking. It also lets you then customize individual picks, and/or slot a keeper into any individual pick. This is particularly handy for leagues like the one described here where protecting a guy you drafted in the 3rd round requires you to forfeit your 2nd round pick; the commish would slot that keeper into the 2nd round pick for the team in question, presumably. Your typical "every team protects X players" can usually choose to slot them into the first X rounds, the last X rounds, whatever.
- This is the first year we've allowed trading picks, but I think it is pretty safe to assume that next season there will be a means to automatically incorporate those traded picks into your custom draft order.
- Once your league *has* keepers next year, as determined by slotting them in during the custom draft process, the commish can choose to have those players marked as keepers throughout the game.
- The commish can also specify conditions under which he wants players to lose their keeper status: when traded, when dropped, when dropped and clearing waivers. You can choose to clear their keeper status (or not) for each of these conditions.
- The commish can also enter a "keeper cost" for each keeper. From our point of view, those are just numbers. At this time we don't do anything with those numbers, but we'll display them throughout the game. On the trade flow screens for instance. So the commish could for example enter the current "draft round cost" for each keeper, so that when you were trading for a guy you'd know what you were getting into.

That captures most of it. I've described this elsewhere, but our general approach to keepers has been:
- Provide very flexible, powerful tools that will ease the burden for the commish in almost any keeper league that that chooses to play at Yahoo!
- Over time, build more on top of those basic tools to remove more and more of the manual intervention a commissioner has to do.

If we just tried to build the one "right way" to do keeper leagues, about 3% of all keeper leagues would use it. So we're instead taking this building block approach where over time we make the commissioner's life easier and easier, while allowing them commish to use whatever zany rules you guys cook up.

Hope this helps...
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 42)

Postby Triplec223 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:56 pm

That helps...but just to make sure, I don't need to go in anywhere and select 'Keeper League: Yes' before the draft correct? All keeper settings will go into effect once teams have been drafted right?
Triplec223
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:20 pm

Triplec223 wrote:That helps...but just to make sure, I don't need to go in anywhere and select 'Keeper League: Yes' before the draft correct? All keeper settings will go into effect once teams have been drafted right?

Correct. At no point is there a checkbox that says, "Keeper League"; that means different things to different people, so you just use the individual features that you want/need. And again for this year, there really isn't much in the way of keeper settings. You had nothing to keep. It is next year that keeper settings get more interesting, once you've kept players from this year.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby TheGhost » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:21 am

Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:
Triplec223 wrote:That helps...but just to make sure, I don't need to go in anywhere and select 'Keeper League: Yes' before the draft correct? All keeper settings will go into effect once teams have been drafted right?

Correct. At no point is there a checkbox that says, "Keeper League"; that means different things to different people, so you just use the individual features that you want/need. And again for this year, there really isn't much in the way of keeper settings. You had nothing to keep. It is next year that keeper settings get more interesting, once you've kept players from this year.

Thank you for all your help. My question is this. Lets say that each team keeps 5 players. And every year you have to draft the same kept player a round early. Lets say you wanted to keep the first 5 players that you drafted the previous year... how is this possible if you only are able to draft one player per round?? 8-o
TheGhost
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 101)

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:54 am

TheGhost wrote:
Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:

Thank you for all your help. My question is this. Lets say that each team keeps 5 players. And every year you have to draft the same kept player a round early. Lets say you wanted to keep the first 5 players that you drafted the previous year... how is this possible if you only are able to draft one player per round?? 8-o

That my friend is exactly why we don't try to enforce such things :-D Various leagues have their own ways of dealing with such things, and we don't begin to think we know the "right" or "best" way to handle it.

By the way, in the scenario you described, there isn't really a problem with drafting more than one player per round. The problem is what happens when you have a first round pick that you want to protect and therefore have to give up a zeroth round pick ;-) I believe some leagues just say, "No. You can't. You have to throw him back." I think some leagues have a system where it starts costing you more (like the 1st and a 6th round pick); that then does introduce the dilemma of "what if I want to protect my 1st and 6th round guys from last year?" And if you gave up two picks to keep one guy, you need to have an extra pick somewhere; how is that incorporated into the draft order? There is also the dilemma of, "What if I want to protect my 3rd round guy, but I traded away my 2nd round pick?" And so on and so on. Different leagues, different rules. I know I'd be curious to hear more from commissioners of leagues where protecting a player means forfeiting a draft pick relative to where the player was drafted. My personal league doesn't work that way, and I'm always interested to learn more about how people are running their keeper leagues.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Commissioner's Corner