Jury Duty - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Jury Duty

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Jury Duty

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:32 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:the average american is not smart enough to have the fate of other americans in their hands. they should really just have professional juries.

btw i'm 26 and have never been summoned to jury duty. i wouldn't mind doing it once though to see what it's like.

I've been summoned 3 times over the last 9 years. I had to report one Summer when I was 19 and had to wait until late afternoon to be dismissed. The last couple of times, I was just on call and never got to report.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BigLebowski » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:20 pm

I've been summoned 4 times and have served on 2 jury's. Guilty both times baby. One a drunk driver, and one unlawful game removal (Fishing out of season for steelhead when only Natives should be fishing). I was dismissed one time for knowing a prosecution witness and one time I was not needed. It is eye opening to see what some people try to get away with in the court system. I know innocent until proven guilty and all, but to take this garbage to trial is insane. The drunk driver failed a field sobriety test, was seen swerving all over the road by civilian witnesses and cops, there was witness testimony to him drinking 5 drinks in the hour prior getting pulled over. He admitted to only 4. The garbage the lawyer brought up to try and dismiss all that evidence was a horrible waste of time and money.

I see it as my duty to my community to serve on a jury. I used to be a fan of professional juries(Howard Stern's plan), but have since decided that it would turn into a policy making body that we don't need. The people who try to get out of jury duty based on it being an inconvenience not a real hardship are selfish, and are looking out for self self self and only self.
BigLebowski
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 467)

Postby thedude » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:23 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:the average american is not smart enough to have the fate of other americans in their hands. they should really just have professional juries.

Juries of 12 are amazingly accurate in fact finding. Most jurors also always take their duty very very seriously. Lawyers and judges also try to pay close attention to the potential jurors try to filter out people who may be biased.

Besides, all people have the right to waive a jury trial and be tried by a judge. If you are so scared of the average American, opt for a bench trial.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:28 pm

thedude wrote:

Juries of 12 are amazingly accurate in fact finding. Most jurors also always take their duty very very seriously. Lawyers and judges also try to pay close attention to the potential jurors try to filter out people who may be biased.

Besides, all people have the right to waive a jury trial and be tried by a judge. If you are so scared of the average American, opt for a bench trial.

if i knew i was innocent i totally would. if i knew i was guilty i would go with a jury for sure.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Previous

Return to General Talk