Keeper League Rules - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Keeper League Rules

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Keeper League Rules

Postby sixer03fan » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:37 pm

Hello all, I am the commish of a new 12-team, h2h, keeper league. We have agreed upon the basic constitution, but I'm not sure how regulate the finer print of some of the keeper rules. I need some input on experienced keeper league players.

Every team can keep 3 players, and you must keep at least one batter and one pitcher. Next year, you will draft the player you keep in the round he was drafted this year. I figured this would add a level of strategy to choosing your keeper players, instead of just simply picking your 3 best players.

This has raised some questions:

- If you pick up someone like Wainwright or Strasburg in August, for example, and want to keep them for next year, would you be allowed to? It seems unfair that someone can just pick up someone like that and only have to sacrifice their last pick of the draft next year to keep him.

- This leads into the next question, can you only keep players that were drafted the year before? Or should we implement a deadline during the season for which you can add someone that you intend on keeping?

- Question 3, if you trade for someone that was drafted in the 3rd round for example, and you want to keep someone on your team that you drafted in the 3rd round yourself, how do you keep both players?

If anyone could please give me some input or advice on their keeper league settings, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.
sixer03fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Keeper League Rules

Postby bigmck » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:00 pm

There is one way to make everything very simple. == Allow any three players to be kept. It doesn't matter the round they were drafted. Everyone would have three keepers and everyone would start drafting in round four. If someone wants to pickup Strasburg in August, fine. He will be one of the three players kept. It eliminates a lot of confusion
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 62)

Postby dfa » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:07 pm

I commish a keeper league now in its second year. Just some notes from my experience:
- make sure whichever application you are using can do this. We use ESPN and adding in 'complexity' to the keeper process was not possible. I'm not sure how CBS is designed, but I was disappointed that I couldn't be more flexible with creating the draft order in ESPN (though it is free and their customer service has been excellent).
- I think if a player wanted to keep a free agent, he should be classified as the lowest round. So for a guy like Buster Posey, whoever picked him up last year would really be rewarded for that shrewd pickup. If someone really likes Strasburg or Wainwright, they might spend a draft pick on him.

I don't have much experience with your third question, other than recommending simplicity. Sorry!

As for my own experience...I have designed it so that you can only keep each of your keepers for a period of time (there are 5 keepers per team in the league, with graduated 'contracts' that last 5, 4, 3, 2, and 1 year), so that way each draft should add some top players every year. I keep this separate from ESPN and so I'm prepared to do some deal of work on this topic, but hopefully not too much. For example, I'm keeping Utley for 1 year (2011), Dan Haren (2 years), Cliff Lee (3 years), Adrian Gonzalez (4 years) and Ryan Zimmerman (5 years). This way there is no tinkering with the draft order except for doing away with the snake format. I had designed a much more complicated system over the winter involving a salary cap but ESPN couldn't support it and none of the owners in the league are interested in the auction format.
dfa
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby jdouble777 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:04 pm

- If you pick up someone like Wainwright or Strasburg in August, for example, and want to keep them for next year, would you be allowed to? It seems unfair that someone can just pick up someone like that and only have to sacrifice their last pick of the draft next year to keep him.

No, absolutely not, it would be completely unfair and should immediately be ruled out.

- This leads into the next question, can you only keep players that were drafted the year before? Or should we implement a deadline during the season for which you can add someone that you intend on keeping?

You cannot add anyone and keep them. It makes no sense. You draft them and are allowed to keep them for a draft pick equal to the round in which they were drafted, period. If you do not draft them, they are not able to be kept. If you want Strasburg or Wainwright then draft them, heck of deal since they will not be in the top 5 rounds. Personally, I would say anyone slated right now to miss more than a month is off limits and eliminate this loophole. That said, it could be interesting to see who uses a much earlier pick than they would have otherwise.

- Question 3, if you trade for someone that was drafted in the 3rd round for example, and you want to keep someone on your team that you drafted in the 3rd round yourself, how do you keep both players?

You cannot keep someone that you trade for. You can only keep someone you drafted and can only keep them if you give up a draft pick equal to the pick the cost to obtain him. If you must not follow this suggestion, then I would say that it costs the next round pick. So, in the scenario your presented it would cost their 4th round pick, or do the opposite and say round earlier making the pick the 2nd.
jdouble777
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 54)
Home Cafe: Football

Return to Commissioner's Corner