Advice on draft strategy. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Advice on draft strategy.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Advice on draft strategy.

Postby socceryank » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:31 am

10 team, H2H, 5x5 with OPS replacing AVG.

For the first time in my 10 year fantasy baseball history, I have drawn the 10th pick. As I devise a general strategy, I believe that having this slot will result in me having to "reach" on occasion to get players that I feel are worthy due to the prolonged wait between my picks. I actually believe this may be a good this, as I will be less likely to lose out on players I am coveting; I can justify taking players whenever I want them!

My strategy question involves how to balance power with speed. My thought is to load up on infield power guys, and use my later picks to select OFer's with speed. Using this strategy, this is how I envision my early selections panning out:

Rd 1: AGonzalez or Tex (10th pick)
Rd 2: ARod (11th)
Rd 3: Uggla (30th)
Rd 4: Dunn (31st) -- he would be my utility
Rd 5: Ethier (50th)

Excluding pitchers, this is essentially a "select the best available" strategy, but I've never filled my utility position this early in a draft.

My plan would be to select speedy OFer's later in the draft such as Granderson, Gardner, Ellsbury, etc or whomever is available (I haven't checked the MDP for real late rounds yet).

What do you guys think of this plan? In a 10 teamer, how would you feel if your first 5 rounds went as above?

Thanks guys!
C M. Montero
1B AGonz
2B Uggla
3B Zimmermann
SS Jeter
OF J Upton, McCutcheon, Choo
Util Kendrys Morales
BN Pena
DL Gardner
SP Gallardo, Bumgarner, Latos, Zimmermann, Luebke, Jaime Garcia, Hughes, Burnett
RP League, Marshall, Betancourt
socceryank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Advice on draft strategy.

Postby fast dogs » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:25 am

I can hang for 4 of the 5 picks, but taking Dunn that much earlier than he's normally drafted and filling your U doesn't seem like a wise move. Its 1 thing to take the 78th best player with the 71st pick, but I don't agree with reaching that much for Dunn with that early of a pick
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 280)

Postby MaudDib » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:39 am

I also don't like Arod at 11. I think there are better options that early in the draft. If this was the end of round 2, then i have no problem but Arod isn't a top 15 player anymore.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 369)

Postby kingdon22 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:22 am

Not in love with Dunn in the 4th, especially considering he would be your 2nd 1st baseman, but that is his adp

I doubt Adrian Gonzalez is going to be there. You are looking at Tex in the 10 spot. I dont expect Ethier to be there in the 5th. Ethier's adp is 35 right now according to mockdraftcentral. Youre looking at maybe McCutchen, Jose Bautista, Jayson Werth, or maybe Jason Heyward if youre targeting an OF.

Im not even in love with Ethier. He did relatively nothing after he came back from his injury. Id proceed with caution there. And if you were targeting an OF, Id look at Mccutchen or Bautista there. McCutchen should improve his power numbers batting in the 3 hole.
kingdon22
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby socceryank » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:39 pm

MaudDib wrote:I also don't like Arod at 11. I think there are better options that early in the draft. If this was the end of round 2, then i have no problem but Arod isn't a top 15 player anymore.

My reason for targeting ARod is that if I don't choose a 3B at this slot, I will probably be stuck with someone like Beltre, which I don't want to happen. My 3B choices at that slot:

ARod -- I like how he looks so far in ST, and his ability to train vs. rehab this offseason I think will pay dividends.

Wright -- his power potential at Citi concerns me, and the strategy I outlined would address the SB's later in the draft that I would be missing out on by not selecting him.

Zimmerman -- just can't see taking him this high.

Additionally, the other choices from other positions at this point in the draft (Crawford, Cano, Hamilton, Halladay, etc) just don't excite me.
C M. Montero
1B AGonz
2B Uggla
3B Zimmermann
SS Jeter
OF J Upton, McCutcheon, Choo
Util Kendrys Morales
BN Pena
DL Gardner
SP Gallardo, Bumgarner, Latos, Zimmermann, Luebke, Jaime Garcia, Hughes, Burnett
RP League, Marshall, Betancourt
socceryank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions