9 keepers and I have Strasburg - help me Cafe! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

9 keepers and I have Strasburg - help me Cafe!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

9 keepers and I have Strasburg - help me Cafe!

Postby Besaid_Aurochs » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:56 pm

Standard 5x5 league, H2H, 12 managers, Player universe = all MLB, Snake draft, Free to keep any 9 players with no penalties

21 man roster, 9 keepers.

2010 Final Roster:

C - John Buck
1B - Derrek Lee, Carlos Pena
2B - Rickie Weeks
3B - David Wright
SS - Derek Jeter
OF - Carlos Lee, Jose Bautista,Torii Hunter, Ichiro Suzuki, Shane Victorino

SP - Scott Baker, Clay Buchholz, Roy Halladay, Cole Hamels, Ricky Nolasco, Roy Oswalt, Kevin Slowey, Stephen Strasburg
RP - David Aardsma

Is worth it to keep Strasburg? I have 7th pick in the draft with at least 4 other managers who have man crushes on him so I wouldn't feel very confident about being able to land him in the draft. I have a general Idea of who I want to keep but any advice will be greatly appreciated!

I'd offer to help in return but I'm garbage and you prob don't want my help anyway :-b
Besaid_Aurochs
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Jumping off the nearest cliff cause I started Felix Hernandez again

Re: 9 keepers and I have Strasburg - help me Cafe!

Postby MaudDib » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:43 pm

[quote="Besaid_Aurochs"
2010 Final Roster:

C - John Buck
2B - Rickie Weeks ;-D
3B - David Wright ;-D
SS - Derek Jeter
OF - Carlos Lee, Jose Bautista ;-D ,Torii Hunter, Ichiro Suzuki ;-D , Shane Victorino ;-D

SP - Scott Baker, Clay Buchholz, Roy Halladay ;-D , Cole Hamels ;-D , Ricky Nolasco, Roy Oswalt ;-D , Kevin Slowey, Stephen Strasburg
RP - David Aardsma

[/quote]
I would say no. But your keepers aren't real strong so I could see wasting a roster spot on SS in hopes to have a good run next year.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby Seanyfever » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:49 pm

Do you get to keep forever????
If so, I could be convinced, especially since you feel others will jump on him. If you do not have long term keepers, I would pass. His impact is nothing this year.

I see a partial argument for Jeter despite his down year. Oswalt or Victorino come to mind.

Good luck.

Help me out!!!
viewtopic.php?t=423288
Expos... Gone, but not forgotten.
Seanyfever
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Response Team
(Past Year: 290)

Postby MadDog36 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:07 pm

C - John Buck
2B - Rickie Weeks
3B - David Wright
SS - Derek Jeter
OF - Carlos Lee, Jose Bautista,Torii Hunter, Ichiro Suzuki, Shane Victorino

SP - Scott Baker, Clay Buchholz, Roy Halladay, Cole Hamels, Ricky Nolasco, Roy Oswalt, Kevin Slowey, Stephen Strasburg
RP - David Aardsma

2b Weeks, 3b Wright, OF Bautista, Ichiro
Halladay, Buchholz, Hamels, Oswalt, Nolasco

I normally don't advise keeping so many arms but you got some nice starters there and that all but locks up SP for you. I'd like to see any opponent out pitch you! Plus 3b (a hard position to fill will be taken care of and you have nice balance to start your OF). make sure you focus on big 1b bat and quality tier two SS with your first two picks. Strasburg would be just a waste of a roster slot and keeper selection for you at this point.
Join My Roto Keeper League:
viewtopic.php?t=466433
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1948)

Postby SecretAgentMan » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:37 pm

Besaid_Aurochs wrote:Standard 5x5 league, H2H, 12 managers, Player universe = all MLB, Snake draft, Free to keep any 9 players with no penalties

21 man roster, 9 keepers.

2010 Final Roster:

C - John Buck
2B - Rickie Weeks ;-D
3B - David Wright ;-D
SS - Derek Jeter
OF - Carlos Lee, Jose Bautista ;-D ,Torii Hunter, Ichiro Suzuki ;-D , Shane Victorino ;-D

SP - Scott Baker, Clay Buchholz ;-D , Roy Halladay ;-D , Cole Hamels ;-D , Ricky Nolasco, Roy Oswalt ;-D , Kevin Slowey, Stephen Strasburg
RP - David Aardsma

Is worth it to keep Strasburg? I have 7th pick in the draft with at least 4 other managers who have man crushes on him so I wouldn't feel very confident about being able to land him in the draft. I have a general Idea of who I want to keep but any advice will be greatly appreciated!

I'd offer to help in return but I'm garbage and you prob don't want my help anyway :-b

I would forget about Strasburg and not think twice about it. You keep guys who ARE valuable not guys who MAY become valuable unless you have no better options. And right now it looks like you have to cut one of Jeter, Weeks or Oswalt. They woudl be your weekest keepers imo. Baustista would add in a level of uncertainty too, but I can't see letting him walk. Oswalt has had his ups and downs, but I think you have to keep him as well even if you have 3 other SPs to keep. That makes it between the aging Jeter and the always injured Weeks. Risk there either way, but I would probably go with the younger Weeks here and hope he does not Nick Johnson you.
SecretAgentMan
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 820)

Postby Besaid_Aurochs » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:43 pm

FYI I can keep whoever I want for however long I want with no penalties, so that's why I would consider Strasburg. Anyone have any advice on who else to keep if I did keep Strasburg so I could see what my team might look like?
Besaid_Aurochs
College Coach
College Coach

Location: Jumping off the nearest cliff cause I started Felix Hernandez again

Postby RyeWhiskey » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:52 pm

Besaid_Aurochs wrote:FYI I can keep whoever I want for however long I want with no penalties, so that's why I would consider Strasburg. Anyone have any advice on who else to keep if I did keep Strasburg so I could see what my team might look like?

You should absolutely keep Strasburg. Here's how I would keep the team:

C - John Buck
2B - Rickie Weeks ;-D
3B - David Wright ;-D
SS - Derek Jeter

SP - Scott Baker, Clay Buchholz, Roy Halladay ;-D, Cole Hamels ;-D, Ricky Nolasco, Roy Oswalt ;-D , Kevin Slowey, Stephen Strasburg ;-D
RP - David Aardsma

Keep Strasburg as your 9th keeper then hype him like no-one's business and trade him with Oswalt (I don't like having 3 SPs from the same team) to a guy who's got no quality starters for a huge bat. In short, I would keep him and trade him for a bat as soon as possible.
RyeWhiskey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions