H2H hitters ranking strategy - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

H2H hitters ranking strategy

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

H2H hitters ranking strategy

Postby Asgardian » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:23 pm

I've played fantasy football for nearly 20 years, but I'm relatively new to fantasy baseball and facing my first live draft ever in a couple of weeks. I play in a 12-team H2H league that uses the standard Yahoo 5x5 scoring format (R, HR, RBI, SB, AVG).

I'm trying to figure out a way of ranking batters by a single index score based on projected stats for 2011. Does it make any sense to simply sum R, H, RBI, and SB for each player -- add them all together and look at the total number for each player? (Then look at AVG as the tie breaker?) (Let's assume the projections are reasonable.)

I realize I would need to take position scarcity into account after that, but I'm just trying to figure out why summing those four categories wouldn't make sense. Also, I would have the individual category numbers to look at for each player, too; I wouldn't rely on only the index.

Any comments or different ideas would be appreciated.
Asgardian
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: H2H hitters ranking strategy

Postby mtxdevil » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:31 pm

Just summing the numbers won't work since the values of each single number in each category is different.

For example: One SB is worth more than one run or RBI.
mtxdevil
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Asgardian » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:39 pm

mtxdevil wrote:Just summing the numbers won't work since the values of each single number in each category is different.

Each R, HR, RBI, and SB counts as 1 in our league. There are no extra point values for any category. Your week's scores are the sum of your starters' production in each category. So I don't see how the values are different. (Unless I'm being dense, which is possible.)
Asgardian
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Phatferd » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:55 pm

Asgardian wrote:
mtxdevil wrote:Just summing the numbers won't work since the values of each single number in each category is different.

Each R, HR, RBI, and SB counts as 1 in our league. There are no extra point values for any category. Your week's scores are the sum of your starters' production in each category. So I don't see how the values are different. (Unless I'm being dense, which is possible.)

I think mtx is alluding to the fact that a SB has more "value" than a R. For example, only a small quantity of players steal bases successfully, which makes SB a more valuable stat when isolated. SB are more scarce, therefore providing more "value." The amount of points you get for each stat isn't relevant when discussing "value."
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Asgardian » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:06 pm

Well, I was afraid I was being dense. I certainly understand the value argument in terms of scarcity of production. So, maybe the challenge will be to quantify how much more valueable SBs are than other stats. But, of course, that opens up a whole can of worms in terms of assessing the relative value of each category. I think I'm in over my head there. Maybe I'll give up on the index score for this year.

Thanks for the responses.
Asgardian
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Return to Baseball Leftovers