CBS's extended live draft? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

CBS's extended live draft?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

CBS's extended live draft?

Postby misterf » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:10 am

Has anybody used CBS's "online extended live draft" option? The keeper league I run has usually used a live draft.....but for various reasons we wont be able to have a live draft this year, so we are considering using the "extended live draft" that CBS offers.

Can you please let me know exactly how it works? CBS doesn't provide much detail.

I understand the general principal.....but, not only have I not used CBS's extended draft before.....I have never even done this type of draft.

Any information (including pros/cons) that you could provide would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

Thanks in advance!
misterf
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 74)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: CBS's extended live draft?

Postby misterf » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:22 am

One specific question I just though of:

I understand that these drafts can take days or even weeks.....but I was wondering if individual managers can set their team to auto-draft (either permanently or temporarily) as the draft progresses.

For example: If it's 3 pick away from your turn (which will take an undetermined....but possibly very lengthy....amount of time) and you determined your top-4 candidates for your next pick.....could you add those players in some kind of a queue and then just let the computer pick the best one that's left for you.

Or if somebody is going to be unable to get on the internet for a few days due to travel....could they just set autodraft so the draft doesnt get unnecessarily delayed?

Thanks again!
misterf
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Second Life Syndrome » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:04 am

Hello!

Here you go; will try to summarize from memory, as we have not yet started our extended draft this year. We have been doing it for 5+ years, so this should be helpful:

Extended draft options..

Be sure to set up the draft so the automatic email is sent out every time a player is drafted. This will help move things along. For the daytime, we have the owners set up their personnel option so the email goes to their work email address. When I'm working away, the email comes in, I jump into the draft room, make the pick, and move on.

Autodrafting is definitely an option, but the critical key is to be extremely careful with it. Here's an example, and the best way to manage it for each owner:

You see that your five picks away, and you are sure that you want one of five players. Move all five players into your 'draft queue', which you will see at the bottom of the draft room. Before leaving the draft room, click on the 'autodraft' option. What's nice is that when you do that, your icon at the top of the page will list yourself as auto-draft option is 'ON'. I'll explain while that is very handy shortly.

Next....as the draft moves along, once it gets to you, it will auto-pick one of your five players in your queue. All is well!

Now for the tricky parts:

You must be sure to remove the owner from autodraft, or stop the draft picking before it gets back to the owner. If still on, the draft room will continue to draft players for the owner. If the owner doesn't have a player in queue, then it will draft the HIGHEST RANKING available player, regardless of position. What is nice about this, in one way, is that the site will put an asterik next to that player in the draft room list of players picked.

Obviously....if your doing an extended draft, you don't want players drafted that an owner doesn't want. So it is critical there that everyone is aware that in most cases, the owner wants only one player drafted.

What I do is: give multiple owners Commissioner access for the draft. We'll have at least two people that are online all the time, and can police the room. As a Commish, you can do the following:

Draft players for owners: handy when someone makes a pick by phone, email, text.
Stop the draft....putting it on hold for any number of reasons.
PULL BACK DRAFT PICKS...if the autodraft picks a player from a non-queue list, I'll delete that picks, and put the draft on hold until the owner gets back into the room.
Put the owner ON or OFF autopilot. Extremely handy.

Summarizing:

Find 2 owners who you trust with having commissioner controls for the draft room.
Be sure everyone fully understands how the autodraft works.
Make a rule that everyone states on the draft room message board that they are going on autopilot, and state how many picks they want to be on autopilot!!

Here's what we do: we start an extended draft for a week or so, get in 6-10 rounds, then have a Friday night draft set up for later where we have everyone in the draft room at one time, and close it out. It works very well, and by now we figured out all of the above and everything always goes smoothly...
Second Life Syndrome
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby misterf » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:04 pm

Thank you VERY much!!!!
misterf
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby converge241 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:19 am

We use it yearly in our dynasty league, works GREAT!! Hope you find it as useful. ;-D
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 99)

Postby Second Life Syndrome » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:39 am

Mister F: you are welcome. Good luck and have fun.

Strangely, as part of CBS' ''improvements"...it looks like they made zero changes in their draft room. It's already a good tool, but you would think they could have done something there. I'm not a fan of the very small area where they have the league chat in the room, for example.

I will say that I do like their 'draft central' webpage, where they centralized all draft related topics and lists into one page....
Second Life Syndrome
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby bigmck » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:03 pm

While we are discussing CBS Draft, I have a question. We have our Draft face to face and I input everyone's players that night. == Last year I found that if a player was qualified at two positions, I would put in his name and CBS would put him in his main position and did not give me a choice. I would have to make corrections at the end of the Draft. Did anyone else run across this and hopefully you found a fix for it. Thanks,
Last edited by bigmck on Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 59)

Postby Grand Master B » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:34 pm

I like the extended draft..very easy to use- anyone the has commish access can edit/make selections for others when needed.

Only problems that I have experienced this year are the inability to click and drag players to my queue, and the draft room occasionally needs to be refreshed manually. For some reason it stops updating itself. Others in my league have the same problems, so not sure what it could be.
Grand Master B
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Second Life Syndrome » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:11 pm

bigmck wrote:While we are discussing CBS Draft, I have a question. We have our Draft face to face and I input everyone's players that night. == Last year I found that if a player was qualified at two positions, I would put in his name and CBS would put him in his main position and did not give me a choice. I would have to make corrections at the end of the Draft. Did anyone else run across this and hopefully you found a fix for it. Thanks,

That seems rather strange. For the online draft, cbs will move the player to one of his eligible position. But, once there, the owner can immediately adjust the player to whatever other position he is eligible for, giving you the flexibility you expected when drafting someone with multi-position eligibility. So, not really sure how to help with this one. You really should be able to add him to a team, then move the player to whatever position he's eligible for.

As for the other question, the draft room does sometimes freeze up. Just shut it down and jump back in; that should work every time.
Second Life Syndrome
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Return to Commissioner's Corner