Changing you keeper settings - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Changing you keeper settings

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Changing you keeper settings

Postby zippytrash » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:32 am

So, the league that I run is a 10-team H2H, 6X6 league w/ holds and OPS and we get t keep six for up to 3 keeps. there are no restrictions on penalty of keepers other than that we set the maximum amount of years kept at 3. I am curious about introducing a different set of keeper rule such as the draft round that they were drafted in ... maybe + 1 round or something like that.

I am curious about any successes, or failures, that anyone has had trying to change the keeper setting in their league. The is the leagues 7th season, and I feel that great draft picks (or WW pickups) are devalued greatly in the settings we have now, and the same core of players are kept year to year instead of value being taken into account.

Any thoughts or comments?
Here's to you, Mr. Robinson. Jesus loves you more than you Cano.
zippytrash
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Changing you keeper settings

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:36 am

zippytrash wrote:So, the league that I run is a 10-team H2H, 6X6 league w/ holds and OPS and we get t keep six for up to 3 keeps. there are no restrictions on penalty of keepers other than that we set the maximum amount of years kept at 3. I am curious about introducing a different set of keeper rule such as the draft round that they were drafted in ... maybe + 1 round or something like that.

I am curious about any successes, or failures, that anyone has had trying to change the keeper setting in their league. The is the leagues 7th season, and I feel that great draft picks (or WW pickups) are devalued greatly in the settings we have now, and the same core of players are kept year to year instead of value being taken into account.

Any thoughts or comments?

For years we just had a rule like "everyone can keep 5 players". We eventually wanted to introduce some cost-based system to add more strategy and encourage the flow of players back into the player pool. The system we settled on values players by "years of service". Every time a player is kept, his years of service goes up one year. Each owner is allowed to protect 20 years of service (except the winner who gets to keep 8, because that's how we roll).

This system has worked fine and is very interesting, but as you've noticed, the transition is the awkward part. The way we did it originally is we had a one year bump where we said something like, "Anyone drafted in the first 3 rounds costs 4 after this season. Anyone drafted in rounds 4-7 costs 3. Rounds 8-10 costs 2. Everyone else costs 1." That one year was a bit weird of course, but everyone agreed we should go to something more sophisticated, and was willing to deal with a bit of strangeness to make it happen. Certainly glad we did.

Given the system you have in mind, you could ease into it a bit by saying something like, "The 3 guys you protected last year will start with a cost of a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round pick." Or 2nd, 4th, and 6th, or whatever. That means everyone gets a bit of a buffer to adjust and doesn't immediately lose all their keepers, but will also encourage the redraft of all players within a few years. Just one idea.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 42)

Postby zippytrash » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:19 am

How about changing a snake draft keeper league into an auction keeper league? Would you just assign values base on this year's auction prices to the charged amount if they are kept for next year? What problems has anyone had trying to do that in the past? I'm looking to spice up the strategy of the league, and I'm just exploring the options. Thanks for all your help. ;-D
zippytrash
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Ranker

Postby fast dogs » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:58 pm

Really you almost have to make changes for 2012 instead of 2011; switching to an auction is an extreme change and certainly would affect players values as keepers.Doing rounds perhaps you can start this year with changes affecting next years draft with a lesser effect. Some owners would certainly balk at an auction, the 2 hour snake you are accustomed to would now be a 5 hour marathon, probably longer for first timers. Almost any change should be run by the league first, changing settings isn't going to be as simple as you might think
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 302)

Postby Matthias » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:37 pm

zippytrash wrote:How about changing a snake draft keeper league into an auction keeper league? Would you just assign values base on this year's auction prices to the charged amount if they are kept for next year? What problems has anyone had trying to do that in the past? I'm looking to spice up the strategy of the league, and I'm just exploring the options. Thanks for all your help. ;-D

I would assign values based on the year that they were originally drafted by the team. And then whatever yearly escalator you put in you apply retroactively.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby zippytrash » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:43 am

Yes, I probably should have been more clear. I am basically preparing to bring this up to the league during this season (2011) for the changes to be made for next (2012).

And I know this won't an easy task if we do in fact decide to switch formats. But like I said, I just wanted to get feedback from anyone who has tried this in the past and any thing they had done that was successful or anything that wasn't.
zippytrash
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Ranker

Postby bigmck » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:30 pm

Something that affects next year should be brought up early in this year so everyone can prepare for it.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 61)

Postby cplindy » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:15 pm

I like the Idea of switching to Keeper w/ round values. Thats the kind we do and its been so much fun, we lose round player was drafted in then on second year being kept (no matter if traded or not) player loses 1 round sooner. The only change i would make is have a max round maybe like 15, Because now we have several players (Batista,Stanton,McCutchion and more) being kept and team loses 24th rd pick Ive had Cargo for 3 years and im losing 22nd round, its gonna be 21 more years till I lose a 1st rd for him.
To transition your league into something like this wont be easy and some people will object, I would suggest a league vote on best 3-4 ideas you come up with. If this were my league i would propose to the league that at the end of this year each team can protect 1 player that player will be a first round keeper then select the rest of your keepers depending on when they were drafted. If they feel they dont have a player thats worth a 1st round pick then they can select all their keepers from players that were not keepers this year. Doing it this way will make next years draft crazy many big names but its the fariest way to do it.
cplindy
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Commissioner's Corner