Opinions on my Settings - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Opinions on my Settings

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Opinions on my Settings

Postby jonboycubs » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:49 pm

Could I please get some opinions on my settings as I have them right now. Especially scoring. I did a small 6 team league last year to get a feel for it and have now moved to a 16 team H2H Points league. High Scoring I know, but that is what I like, Just want it too be as fair and balanced as possible. Thank you for any replys and taking the time to give it a look.

http://games.espn.go.com/flb/leaguesetu ... eId=266827
"I was taught you never, ever disrespect your opponent or your teammates or your organization or your manager and never, ever your uniform." Ryne Sandberg
jonboycubs
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Response Team
(Past Year: 1094)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Opinions on my Settings

Postby dfa » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:14 am

You weren't kidding about the high scoring. How did you come up with value for each event? Do you want pitchers to score half the points, or are you not concerned about that? I came up with totals from a previous season to figure out a baseline amount for hitting, than I used the same total points to for the pitchers, so theoretically it will be 50/50. From there I tried to compare how much I value starting pitching versus relieving, how much I value things the pitcher can control, etc.
dfa
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby jonboycubs » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:48 pm

I really had no set plan when I came up with the point system, Just kind of went with and have been tweaking it in the past few weeks. Today I dropped Perfect games too 150 and no hitters to 100. Dropped 100 of each of them. I know these will not happen much anyway. I also have shutouts at 75 and complete games at 50. I know you can not get a shutout without throwing a complete game so was wondering if a compete game and shutout should both be 50 since they will be added together. Plus if a perfect game is thrown, it totals 400, that includes the 25 for a win. I also have innings pitched at 21 which is only 4 less than a win so wondering if innings pitched should be lowered a little. I do want hitters and pitchers to be as equal as possible. As it stands now the top pitcher is Halladay with 7,799 projected points avg. 236.3 per start. The top hitter Puhols is projected 6,844 total points avg. 43.3 per game. Hope I have wrote this in a way it makes sense. Thanks again for your time.
"I was taught you never, ever disrespect your opponent or your teammates or your organization or your manager and never, ever your uniform." Ryne Sandberg
jonboycubs
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Response Team

Postby dfa » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:16 pm

I think one strong point for your current system is looking at the projected 50th most valuable pitcher using your point system it is Trevor Cahill who is estimated to score about 4,900 points. The projected 50th most valuable hitter is Gaby Sanchez and he is also projected to score about 4,900 points. So that bodes well if a goal was 50% hitting and 50% pitching. (Although ESPN doesn't project grand slams or GWRBIs.)
dfa
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby jonboycubs » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:19 am

Yeah I dropped innings pitched from 21 to 18 points per inning. This helped even it out a lot and I think my scoring is set now, since some of my league members are asking when I will stop making changes which is fair enough. What I am trying to figure out now is the best pitching setup. As of right now it is just 10 P slots. I put it up for a league vote just to see how they feel. These are the systems I am considering

8 SP, 2 RP
7 SP, 3 RP
6 SP, 4 RP
5 SP, 5 SP
4 SP, 4 RP, 2 P
5 SP, 3 RP, 2 P
4 SP, 3 RP, 3 p

Any thoughts on this. Thank you again for your input. Been a great help
jonboycubs
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Response Team

Postby dfa » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:30 pm

I think it really depends on what you like. I think closers have been more valuable than starters in fantasy scoring relative to actual baseball, especially in standard 5x5 leagues. I think a big advantage of h2h is that you can emphasize whatever you like, making minimum requirements for innings or starters or relievers up to the strategy. Of course it also matters if your league has weekly or daily locks as well!

Best of luck to you and your league!
dfa
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Commissioner's Corner