First time LM - Auction Keeper Question(s) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

First time LM - Auction Keeper Question(s)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

First time LM - Auction Keeper Question(s)

Postby MikeSmithNY » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:16 pm

Hey guys, first time poster long time lurker..

I recently became a LM after years of being a member in other leagues - it will be auction & keeper.

1) If I was to, say, keep 2 players that are worth $30 each does the $60 get deducted from the draft salary (Every year teams have $260 to draft) so will I only have $200 to work with?

2) How can I set up contracts for keepers, I have heard of the +$5 but I am not a fan of players with all-stars getting screwed over and players with $1 players reaping rewards

Ex: I draft Matt Holliday at $29, I keep him for $34 and the year after if I wanted to keep him I would have to keep him for $39 (Which nobody would do). I draft Brian Matusz at $3 and he turns into this fantasy stud and I get to have him for three years $13.

If it is fair, because I don't see it, can you explain it too me?

Thank you so much.
MikeSmithNY
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: First time LM - Auction Keeper Question(s)

Postby bigmck » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:15 pm

MikeSmithNY wrote:Hey guys, first time poster long time lurker..

I recently became a LM after years of being a member in other leagues - it will be auction & keeper.

1) If I was to, say, keep 2 players that are worth $30 each does the $60 get deducted from the draft salary (Every year teams have $260 to draft) so will I only have $200 to work with?
====================
That is correct.

2) How can I set up contracts for keepers, I have heard of the +$5 but I am not a fan of players with all-stars getting screwed over and players with $1 players reaping rewards

=================
You used the term LM which makes me believe you are using ESPN. If not let me know what site you are using. If you are using ESPN, you can have an auction at the first of the year, but there is no way to keep salary and contracts on their software. CBS has this option, but it is a pay site. == As far as your salary escalation goes, leagues have their own method, but this is one that is fairly commong. == A player won in the spring auction gets that salary for years one and two. Before the spring of year three, if he is still a keeper, the owner can allow his contract to end after year three and he would become a free agent or the owner can extend his contract. If the player was won in the auction for $13 he would get year one and two at $13, the owner could choose to keep him at $13 for year three and must drop him after year three or after year two can extend his contract. If he is extended by one year, you would have year three at $18 and year four at $18 and then he would be a free agent. If extended for two years, it would be years three four and five at $23 adn then dropped. five dollare for each year extened.

Ex: I draft Matt Holliday at $29, I keep him for $34 and the year after if I wanted to keep him I would have to keep him for $39 (Which nobody would do). I draft Brian Matusz at $3 and he turns into this fantasy stud and I get to have him for three years $13.

If it is fair, because I don't see it, can you explain it too me?

Thank you so much.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 61)

Re: First time LM - Auction Keeper Question(s)

Postby JBagKY » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:22 am

Our league, which has been around since 1989, does exactly what the above poster suggested. It works pretty well.
JBagKY
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 2)

Return to Commissioner's Corner