Draft or Auction? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Draft or Auction?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Do you participate in an auction, draft or both?

Auction
35%
Draft
9%
Both
57%

Total votes : 23

Draft or Auction?

Postby jbird669 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:13 pm

Just curious to see what the most prevalent player acquisition method is. I've been playing this game since I was 13 and in the 19 years I've played, it's gone from primarily auction advice to primarily draft advice, IMO and our league was the opposite, and still is.
Baseball is a game where a curve is an optical illusion, a screwball can be a pitch or a person, stealing is legal and you can spit anywhere you like except in the umpire's eye or on the ball. ~Jim Murray
jbird669
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Draft or Auction?

Postby BigKahuna83 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:07 pm

I do both, but our live "in person" auction is the best day of the Season! ;-D
BigKahuna83
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:35 pm

Auctions are the best but it is really hard to get a whole league together for an auction.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 353)

Postby jbird669 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:32 pm

I agree. The last two years have been tough to get the league together but we have no problem doing it on CBS.
Baseball is a game where a curve is an optical illusion, a screwball can be a pitch or a person, stealing is legal and you can spit anywhere you like except in the umpire's eye or on the ball. ~Jim Murray
jbird669
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 11)

Postby neoforce » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:26 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:Auctions are the best but it is really hard to get a whole league together for an auction.

I'm in two leagues. One is live auction which is a blast because its face to face and we all know each other. but with my second league I couldn't do that. It was impossible to get times to work. So, now I love a slow auction. No need to get together, no need to even schedule a time that is good for everyone. And with couchmanagers.com it costs $4 and their tool manages all of it for you.
There are a few things with the New York Yankees that never change. That's pride, tradition, and most of all, we have the greatest fans in the world. -Derek Jeter, 9/21/08 -- last words from old Yankee Stadium
neoforce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby kab21 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:47 pm

My favorite part of the fantasy baseball season is the 3 week long slow auction. But this year that isn't an option since I've been traveling on and off for most of the spring. tbh I like both slow drafts and slow auctions since it spreads the process (the fun) out over a few weeks.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 181)

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:22 am

How slow is a slow auction? And how does it work; are a whole bunch of guys up for bidding at the same time or what? It seems like it would take an entire year to actually run one if it's one guy up for bidding at a time...
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby fast dogs » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:16 am

there are multiple players up for bidding every day; after so many hours of no more bids the player is won.Its actually a less stressful, more relaxing, thought provoking way of doing an auction; which is likely to continue to grow in popularity
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 318)

Postby kab21 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:00 am

The slow auction that I was in for 2 seasons had 20 teams that could each have 2 players nominated at a time (40 players total). Players were sold when 24 hours had expired since the last bid and then the original poster posted another player.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 181)

Postby Lord Jbo » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:10 pm

I do both every season. First I do at least 2 on Yahoo which I've been a member of for a decade now. This allows me to get a jump start on those who are in my home auction league. And a big reason why I do Yahoo leagues is because it gives me a daily heads up on hot players and those coming up from the minors.
So yeah my home auction league is my favorite of the two and the one that means the most as far as winning goes. The other 11 guys in my league I've known for years and we're all friends. The league will be starting its 16th season as I will be starting my 10th in it.
We get together around mid March at someones house early in the morning and are usually wrapping it up around dinner time.
Its a 12 team 25 player 9x9 mixed auction league with 3 keepers and a 275 budget provided you dont have any keepers.
Lord Jbo
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Return to Baseball Leftovers