J. Upton/Prince, Hanson for Miggy - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

J. Upton/Prince, Hanson for Miggy

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

J. Upton/Prince, Hanson for Miggy

Postby woodson_28 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:17 am

10 team keeper Auction league.

We have another week or two to pick keepers, and an owner wants to trade me his Miggy for my T. Hanson + Prince/J.Upton.

Now, I'm not a big fan of the trade, except for the fact that I wasn't planning on keeping any of those three players. Is it a good idea to take this approach of trading away players that I don't even intend to keep? The main reason against this strategy is that I'm basically giving another team a few players at great value. For instance, Prince will cost $34 to keep. If I cut him and he hits the auction floor, I could see him going for $40+, taking more money of the hands of my competition. On the other hand, getting a Stud like Miggy for a bunch of players I intend to cut is tempting too.

We only keep 8, here are the 8 I intend to keep + a few "on the bubble" players. Oh, this is a traditional set up, so if I had Miggy + Pujols, Miggy would start UTIL all year.
Pujols $40
Pedroia 24
Tulowitzki 29
N. Cruz 20
J. Heyward 11
Hanson 19
Kershaw 15
Price 11

Bubble:
Prince 34
J. Upton 30
D. Young 6
Hamels 17

The above 8 keepers would cost: $169. Leaving me w/ just over $90 (260 budget). If I did the trade, I would only keep 2 SP, Kershaw and Price/Hamels and keep Miggy ($32) in place of Hanson. Bringing the new total to $183 (189 if I go w/ Hamels over Price).

Thanks.
woodson_28
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: J. Upton/Prince, Hanson for Miggy

Postby Conrax » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:54 am

I would stay where you are because you have a pretty good eight. Miggy is a great player, but you would be limiting your roster by having him mainly at UTIL and you would be limiting you draft money to get other players you need. Plus like you stated you can help up the price on some of the players you cut and take away opposition money.
Conrax
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Whalewang » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:55 am

I'd do Hanson + Fielder for Miggy and throw Upton back so you can rebid on him. Having Pujols and Miggy would be sick even if it locks up your Utl slot.
Keep Price over Hamels.
Whalewang
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Matt_Domsic » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:11 am

Yes... do the trade. (does my icon not give away my love for Miggy?) You have no idea how much value Pujols and Cabrera have together on one team....your HR, AVG, RBI cats would be disturbing

I might even keep Hamels over Pedroia...that's just me though.
Matt_Domsic
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby woodson_28 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:28 pm

Thanks for the replies guys. So, lets say I toss back Upton, and trade away Prince and Hanson. Here's what my team would look like:

C:
1B: Pujols
2B: Pedroia
3B:
SS: Tulo
OF: N. Cruz
OF: J. Heyward
OF:
UTIL: Miggy

SP: Kershaw
SP: Price

I would have 15 more spots to fill, w/ only $77. In a 10 team league, I should be able to get a decent C + OF for $5 total. For OF, I'm looking at Markakis, C. Lee, Manny, low value/high upside players. 3B I plan to grab a guy that I feel will bounce back, Mark Reynolds, Ianette, etc...

So starting offense aside, I figure I'll have around $60 for 10+ Pitchers, or $6 per pitcher. Thoughts?
woodson_28
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions