Keeper draft quandry - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Keeper draft quandry

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Keeper draft quandry

Postby lbblue » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:00 am

8 x 8 Roto 12 team league with 5 keepers each so the draft starts at #61. For position players we start a of real baseball lineup, minus the pitcher but plus two Utility spots (ie, no CI or MI positions and the OF is LF, CF, RF).

Keepers: Tulo, Kinsler, Rios, Beltre, Haren. Not great, but I inherited this team last season and that's the best I had.

I've looked at who might be available at my first pick (#64) and I'm considering Kendry Morales because 1B gets a little sketchy not far below him and I like a guy his age that produced well prior to his injury last year. Thing is, Bautista could be there and he's RF/3B eligible. If you believe in his projections he'd be a real nice fit for my RF position but I'm not sure where I'd end up at 1B.

What would you do in that scenario? Morales or Bautista? How much do you believe in Bautista?
lbblue
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Keeper draft quandry

Postby Matt_Domsic » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:22 am

Not knowing all the players available I'd probably take Bautista over Morales.

Bautista's floor for HR is probably Morales' ceiling... plus Kendry's ankle still hasn't completely healed
Matt_Domsic
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby lbblue » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:55 pm

Matt_Domsic wrote:Not knowing all the players available I'd probably take Bautista over Morales.

Bautista's floor for HR is probably Morales' ceiling... plus Kendry's ankle still hasn't completely healed

As far as what players will be available, here are a handful of the highest rated non-kept players and their position eligibility: J. Upton (RF), J. Bautista (RF/3B), Ichiro (RF), B. Phillips (2B), J. Ellsbury (CF), R. Weeks (2B), K. Morales (1B)

There are 3 picks prior to my first one so there is a good chance Upton and Bautista are gone. For the other I'd guess either Ichiro or one of the second basemen.

I know it wisest to go best player available---I could always use a player at UTIL if I'm keeping a starter at the same position---but the dropoff at 1B makes me lean toward Morales if Bautista is gone. Is there someone else from that group you'd take over him, considering I have keepers for the following positions: 2B, 3B, SS, CF?
lbblue
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Irish Drunk » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:01 pm

I think Ellsbury is an intriguing option. Ichiro is getting long in the tooth and plays in a poor offense. Ellsbury is in probably the best offense in the major leagues, hitting leadoff. I project 115R and 55SB for him. Just check on his health status.
Irish Drunk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Response Team
(Past Year: 160)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions