12 team auction keeper help - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

12 team auction keeper help

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

12 team auction keeper help

Postby ponyboyy » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:26 am

I am able to keep 7 players on a 23 man team. The league is H2H with 12 categories being W/K/SV/ERA/WHIP/K:BB and R/HR/RBI/SB/AVG/OPS. I've narrowed it down to the top 8, but I am struggling to make the final decision.

My top 8 consist of:

Roy Halladay - 34$
CC Sabathia - 25$
Cliff Lee - 19$
Max Scherzer - 7$
Mike Stanton - 1$
Drew Stubbs - 3$
Alex Rios - 6$
Dan Uggla - 12$

I am torn between Halladay/CC/Stubbs as I feel they are the only few of the bunch, who I should be able to buy back for about 5-7$ more than their current price. Pitching is obviously my main focus, so it would make sense to keep those 4. However, I feel like Hallday being 34$, even in a 12 man league that will have very minimal star power in pitching going into the next draft, won't go for more than 40-42$. And I feel that with the value of the other 7 besides halladay, easily makes up for the extra money I would have to spend. Any suggestions?
ponyboyy
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 12 team auction keeper help

Postby Remotethumb » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:59 pm

Okay, a value question. I'm in a keeper salary cap league. What is your salary cap? What % of your cap would paying Halladay $34 cost you?

Let me just put it to you this way. I love all your keepers. Stubbs at $3 is very tempting. But I am also doing my slow draft right now. I drafted David Price at $30 and Ubaldo at $29....and I kind of regret it a little. A bunch of $10-$18 guys are left; a whole bunch of $2-$10 guys are left. I just grabbed Phil Hughes for $13 and Jair Jurjjens for $4. I know Jurjjens and Hughes don't even compare to Halladay, that's not what I'm saying...all's I'm saying is give me 5 to 8 guys like Jurjens, Holland, Cecil, Zimmerman, Kennedy....and I think I can find 2 decent SPs in that group.
Remotethumb
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 10)

Postby Remotethumb » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:06 pm

Of course, our bench is not restricted...we can have as many pitchers as we want...your league might limit roster spots. We just have to start 1 each position plus DH, 5 SP, 2 RP w/ 23 man roster...so I usually fill my starters out and then load my bench up with cheap pitching. I had Jaime Garcia for a buck last year

Also, in my league you can add/drop at any time, no waivers, no cost to add/drop, no penalty. So it's a lot easier for me (with my league settings) to gamble on pitchers. I draft cheap SP, see what they do in the first few weeks, then adjust accordingly.

If your league is a waiver or limited add/drop league, then Halladay would be worht more to you because of lack of risk.
Remotethumb
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ponyboyy » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:35 pm

Our salary is 260$ so he would be a fair %. We are are restricted to 1 waiver pick up a week so the SP shuffle is as you said a little tougher to pull off and we do have a bench limit as well.
ponyboyy
T-Ball Trainer

Postby Remotethumb » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:16 pm

At a $260 cap, i think Halladay is worth the $34. Barely. That's all I'd pay (my league cap is $255 and I have Price $30 Jimenez $29, like I said I kind of regret it now that I'm looking at guys like Hudson for $14) In my league I'd dump Hallady in a second.

In your league I'd keep him. You will just be able to plug him in and forget about him and I think that's worht $34.
Remotethumb
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions