Help! Defending Champion in 12 Team 8 Player Keeper League - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Help! Defending Champion in 12 Team 8 Player Keeper League

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Help! Defending Champion in 12 Team 8 Player Keeper League

Postby Acholder » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:53 pm

Im in a league on CBS first year in a keeper league, I won the league last year in regular draft and now I am sitting with a few questions with my team.

A little information about the league

Offense is: C, 1b, 2b, SS, 3b, RF, CF, LF, UTIL
Pitching is all P's but you really have to be careful with who you throw out because L's (-5) Hits(-.25) ER (-1) and BB (-.5).

Its a points league that plays head to head each week with lineup locked at first game played on Monday. No Caps for amount of starts thrown out and also Saves and Wins are 7 Points with a Quality Start 3 points.

So with all the information about my team let me explain my situation:

I have the last pick in every round for winning the league and my keepers and positions are as follows(we can keep 8):
Tulo (SS- Col)
Cano (2b- NYY)
Beltre (3b- Tex)
Carlos Gonzalez (LF, CF, RF,- Col)
Jimenez (SP- Col)
Buchholz (SP- Bos)
Matt Cain (SP- SF)

The rest of my team is:
James Shields (SP-TB)
Elvis Andrus (SS- Tex)
Brett Anderson (SP- Oak)
Paul Konerko (1b CHW)
Vlad (Util-Balt)
Ortiz (Util- Bos)
Gio Gonzalez (SP- Oak)
Wandy Rodriguez (SP- Hou)

Minor Leaguers:
Justin Smoak (1b- Sea)
Lars Anderson (1b- Bos)
Brandon Allen (1b, LF-Ari)
Tyler Flowers (C- CHW)
Thomas Diamond (SP/RP- CHC)

Now to further complicate things rule 5 players that are no protected in the minor leagues but to rule 5 someone you have to A) Give up your 1st round pick and B) Keep that player, and a player I know for sure that is not going to be protected is Carlos Santana.

So I can either try and rule 5 Santana and give up my 1st round pick or stick with one of the questionable guys I have

My Picks: I have the 12th in every round the draft but the 5th and 6th rounds but I also have an extra 2nd round pick which is the 5th pick in that round.

Finally last part of my statement, I have been offered a trade of Cano or Tulo (one not both) and Brett Anderson for Oswalt and Buster Posey or Justin Upton (one not both). What would u do this how would u modify it or what else would you look for.

Thanks for the insight a lot of build up with this draft and trying to decide what I can do should do or what to do so I wanted to leave the floor open for thoughts, also if you need any more information please let me know Ill be happy to answer any questions because honestly the more insight to this the better
Acholder
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Help! Defending Champion in 12 Team 8 Player Keeper League

Postby Acholder » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:29 pm

BUMP
Acholder
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Acholder » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:16 pm

A little insight please?
Acholder
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby avsfan4ever33 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:19 pm

Any idea who would be available during the first round of your draft? I do like Santana over your other options, and depending on who will be available in the draft, I can see giving up your first rounder to get a great young catcher with upside quite easily.

I don't like the proposed trade in any form. Tulo and Cano are both first round studs, and though Posey and Upton are young and hyped, I'd rather have the more established stars. Oswalt is better than Anderson, but I don't think he's far and away better, and when you factor in age and the parks they play in, it doesn't seem like a big upgrade to me at all.
avsfan4ever33
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Acholder » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:26 pm

Well if I dont rule 5 Santana he stays on the other persons team. So its really my only chance to get him. The next thing is with the rule changes from 5 SP and 3 RP to 8 P I think that people will be going all RP and SP Crazy, so it changes things a little. I dont think there will be a lot left. It will be like the 12th pick in the 9th round. Mostly players on my bench I think will be going around that time.
Acholder
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby NittanyLions1 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:06 am

I would consider doing the rule 5 of Santana. Would be nice to have a good catcher to keep. Starting pitching is pretty deep this year (and of course is always a bit unpredictable) so I would lean towards getting Santana over that first round pick. I wouldn't do the trades you were proposed based on the points already made above by avsfanforever33.

Thoughts on mine...
viewtopic.php?t=422960
NittanyLions1
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Irish Drunk » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:16 pm

Catcher is thin and Santana looks to be a future stud at that position. Projections have him anywhere from 5 to 10. I'd Rule 5 him in a heartbeat. In 45 games last season he had 6 HR and 22 RBI hitting .260 in a bad lineup.

Cano and Tulo are untradeable. The two thinnest positions in fantasy and you have arguably the top player in each of them.
Irish Drunk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Response Team
(Past Year: 152)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions