Stategy for drafting pitching (SP and RP) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Stategy for drafting pitching (SP and RP)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Stategy for drafting pitching (SP and RP)

Postby khabibul35 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:53 am

The conventional wisdom here has been to focus on drafting hitting, and pick up pitching in the middle rounds. However, while I agree with this in general it's not a full strategy so I wanted to discuss it in a little more detail.

So, my interpretation of this is to lay off the elites of pitching unless they start slipping. So that probably means you don't get Lincecum or Halladay, etc. However, I would think you should get at least one guy who will be rock solid for you and drive your average pitching stats down if they're meddling (or in H2H someone who'd be almost a lock for a W and lots of Ks).

So, at some point you'd want to get this guy and it seems by Pick 70 you should have someone like Verlander and if you really want to push it than lets say Buchholz by 100.

After that, try to get a fairly solid closer by 100 as well.

At this point, it's probably a good idea to get position players if you see the next guy down will be a huge drop off. Or...start filling your staff will value picks for starting pitching like Anderson, Scherzer, etc.

For my 14 team league, I project it'll be something like:

7 - 1B/OF
21 - 2B
35 - C
48 - 3B
62 - OF
76 - SP
90 - RP
104 - SS
118 - SP
132 - 1B/OF
146 - SP
160 - RP
174 - Util
188 and on - sleepers/best available/backups

What do you guys think? Is this the route to go, because I'm curious as to what other people are doing.
khabibul35
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Stategy for drafting pitching (SP and RP)

Postby mkultra » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:22 pm

I probably wouldn't take a reliever that early unless Bell was still on the board.

But, in general, your thinking is sound, and you'll actually hear it a lot- SP is deep, but you need a true ace to anchor your staff. I don't think Buchholz is that guy, though- I like him this year, but he can't be your #1. I'd think about getting a pitcher earlier.

I would also not plan a draft strategy around getting specific offensive positions in certain rounds- first couple of rounds, you want the best player available, period. The "zig when others zag" strategy is a losing one here. And I'd definitely not reach for a catcher in round 3 unless Mauer is somehow available- it's a surprisingly deep position this year.
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)

Postby markj11 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:54 pm

mkultra wrote:I probably wouldn't take a reliever that early unless Bell was still on the board.

But, in general, your thinking is sound, and you'll actually hear it a lot- SP is deep, but you need a true ace to anchor your staff. I don't think Buchholz is that guy, though- I like him this year, but he can't be your #1. I'd think about getting a pitcher earlier.

I would also not plan a draft strategy around getting specific offensive positions in certain rounds- first couple of rounds, you want the best player available, period. The "zig when others zag" strategy is a losing one here. And I'd definitely not reach for a catcher in round 3 unless Mauer is somehow available- it's a surprisingly deep position this year.

Yeah, and either take a 3B early or wait. I plugged in players from the MDP:
7 - 1B/OF - Carlos Gonzalez
21 - 2B - Dustin Pedroia
35 - C - Victor Martinez
48 - 3B - Martin Prado
62 - OF - Hunter Pence
76 - SP - Matt Cain
90 - RP - Neftali Feliz
104 - SS - Stephen Drew
118 - SP - Trevor Cahill
132 - 1B/OF - Carlos Lee
146 - SP - Matt Garza
160 - RP - Francisco Cordero
174 - Util - Angel Pagan
I ain't askin' nobody for nothin, If I can't get it on my own. - Charlie Daniels
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby khabibul35 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:00 pm

mkultra wrote:I probably wouldn't take a reliever that early unless Bell was still on the board.

By no means was I planning drafting specific positions. It was complete conjecture, but at least something on paper to refer to so that I could explain my ideas. But yea... I was thinking about getting a guy at the 62 slot, or even earlier if someone slips.

Regarding Buchholz, I'm a little surprised. His Ks are a little low but he's got good stuff and power so I project those to climb upwards this years. Should get lots of Ws with the Sox offense (but then again I'm a sox fan and may have been overestimating him in fantasy a little bit because I felt he was underestimated by fans in general.)
khabibul35
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 2)

Return to Baseball Leftovers