Draft Strategy-- 24 hours till decision time - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Draft Strategy-- 24 hours till decision time

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Draft Strategy-- 24 hours till decision time

Postby Mateo de Lorenzo » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:53 pm

So, I have a decision to make. Standard roto 5x5 keeper league. 12 teams. The way our draft works is each year's draft order is Kentucky Derby style in reverse order of the previous year's standings. In other words, the last place team from the previous year gets to choose his draft position in the current year, second to last then gets to choose, etc.

I came in last place last year, so I get to choose where to draft. Most would automatically choose number one overall, but I am considering number 12. Looking for input from others on what they think of my rationale.

Because of keepers, only three managers will be drafting in the first round, including myself. Seven people, including myself, will draft int he second round and third round. A quick look at available players for me and others to choose from, in order of ranking.

Chase Utley
Tim Lincecum
Ryan Zimmerman
Matt Kemp
Cliff Lee
Nelson Cruz
Shin-Soo Choo
CC Sabathia
Adrian Beltre
Adam Dunn
Clayton Kershaw
Dan Uggla
Ichiro Suzuki
Victor Martinez
Ian Kinsler
Alex Rios
Justin Verlander
Hunter Pence
Chris Carpenter
Brian McCann

So, if I choose slot 12, I will get the third and fourth overall pick of available players. If I pick the first slot, i get one the first and 11th pick overall. Of the available players, what do others think? Is third and fourth overall more valueable then 1 and 11?

If I chose first overall, I would pick Lincecum. Then I would likely have a chance at either Kershaw, Carpenter or a bat.

Should I go safe and take Lincecum? Or, should I go for the 3/4 where I can likely get both Cliff Lee and CC Sabathia? Or is Kershaw more valueable as a potential keeper then one of them?

My keepers include: Ubaldo Jimenez, Brett Anderson and Jamie Garcia as SPs; Jayson Werth and Jose Tabata as OF, Freddie Freeman at 1B and Joe Nathan at closer.

Thanks for all the advice. I'll gladly return the favor if asked.
Please help me with analyzing my team? viewtopic.php?f=29&t=433592
Mateo de Lorenzo Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Draft Strategy-- 24 hours till decision time

Postby chargerss24 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:41 am

Mateo de Lorenzo wrote:So, I have a decision to make. Standard roto 5x5 keeper league. 12 teams. The way our draft works is each year's draft order is Kentucky Derby style in reverse order of the previous year's standings. In other words, the last place team from the previous year gets to choose his draft position in the current year, second to last then gets to choose, etc.

I came in last place last year, so I get to choose where to draft. Most would automatically choose number one overall, but I am considering number 12. Looking for input from others on what they think of my rationale.

Because of keepers, only three managers will be drafting in the first round, including myself. Seven people, including myself, will draft int he second round and third round. A quick look at available players for me and others to choose from, in order of ranking.

Chase Utley
Tim Lincecum
Ryan Zimmerman
Matt Kemp
Cliff Lee
Nelson Cruz
Shin-Soo Choo
CC Sabathia
Adrian Beltre
Adam Dunn
Clayton Kershaw
Dan Uggla
Ichiro Suzuki
Victor Martinez
Ian Kinsler
Alex Rios
Justin Verlander
Hunter Pence
Chris Carpenter
Brian McCann

So, if I choose slot 12, I will get the third and fourth overall pick of available players. If I pick the first slot, i get one the first and 11th pick overall. Of the available players, what do others think? Is third and fourth overall more valueable then 1 and 11?

If I chose first overall, I would pick Lincecum. Then I would likely have a chance at either Kershaw, Carpenter or a bat.

Should I go safe and take Lincecum? Or, should I go for the 3/4 where I can likely get both Cliff Lee and CC Sabathia? Or is Kershaw more valueable as a potential keeper then one of them?

My keepers include: Ubaldo Jimenez, Brett Anderson and Jamie Garcia as SPs; Jayson Werth and Jose Tabata as OF, Freddie Freeman at 1B and Joe Nathan at closer.

Thanks for all the advice. I'll gladly return the favor if asked.

Utley/Zimmerman/Kemp/Cruz/Choo in that order. You need some offense and you're pitching is decent right now. You can add quality pitching later on in the draft.
C-Doumit, Salty
1B- Fielder
2B-Pedroia
SS-Reyes
3B-Longoria
CI- Morneau
MI- Kipnis
OF- Myers Jennings Heyward
U- Ellsbury, B. Upton, Bruce

SP-Price Fernandez Miller Wheeler, Kluber
RP-Grilli, Farquhar, Crow, Veras
chargerss24
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 42)

Postby fast dogs » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:47 am

you have 7 keepers now, 4 of them pitchers and want to take 2 pitchers with your top 2 picks?
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 261)

Postby galante22 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:02 pm

take 3rd and 4th pick overall and try to grab utley or zimmerman possibly if the fall to you. im assuming your strategy is to draft best player as your looking into cc and lee. im gueesing utley and lincecum go 1,2...after that id grab zimmerman and kemp to try and balance out your team. if utley or lincecum fall to you grab them. verlander, cc, and lee are all very tempting but with your roster you have to grab at least one hitter unless hitting is really deep in your draft and after those few pitchers you mentioned the dropoff is really severe. then going zimmerman and sp is ok

help with mine

viewtopic.php?t=422932
galante22
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions