H2H Strategies - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

H2H Strategies

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

H2H Strategies

Postby RPDfire007 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:47 pm

Im a new H2H player. The title says it all whats your in season strategies for H2H
RPDfire007
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: H2H Strategies

Postby wingman3110 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:58 pm

Play Roto.....

But in all seriousness it depends on how your league is set up and the different settings. H2H is not a bad things but more of hot vs cold issue...if a player or two on your team goes cold for a week or two you get screwed over, especially in the playoffs.
"Just be you. You is enough." - Coach K
wingman3110
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 122)

Postby Art Vandelay » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:10 pm

My strategy generally involves forgetting to set my lineup most days, being really late to try to pick up hot free agents, being similarly late to move injured guys to the DL or drop guys who aren't panning out, finishing toward the middle-rear of the league and either just missing out or barely making it into the playoffs. It's not very time consuming, but I'm not sure you'd want ot duplicate it.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BigKahuna83 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:41 pm

I mostly play H2H and it really depends upon the settings of your league.

Hot and Cold streaks can drive you crazy, and once the playoffs start any team can win. You could have the best team all season long, but one bad week late in the season will sink your championship dreams.

One approach is build a balanced team that could compete in every category.

Or you could try to build a team to dominate the majority of categories to secure a W each. The fickle nature of H2H does not make this a sure thing.

You could have the second best week of all the teams in your league, but if you play the best team that week you still get a Loss. which drives many owners Nuts.

tell us more about your league settings and you will get a lot better advice.

Have fun!
BigKahuna83
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby jfg » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:15 pm

My main league is h2h and I've used a few strategies over the years. One that works well is to punt stolen bases especialy if you play in a league that has more than your 5 basic hitting categories. While other guys are looking at guys who help them with power and speed you're stockpiling guys that help in everything but speed. It works out well unless others take the same approach. I've also tried punting average and had ok results with that. You have to ride out cold streaks but they usually don't happen at the same time and you can get a lot of value in middle rounds if you aren't worrying about avg. The big problem with this strategy is that one bad week in the playoffs can end your season.

I'm a big advocate of h2h leagues especially weekly h2h leagues. It brings a lot more strategy to the game rather than just plugging in players to a daily lineup and being a waiver wire hawk. When you can only play X number of players in a 7 day span you need to look at matchups more and decide if it's worth starting a mediocre pitcher with 2 starts over an ace with 1. It's a lot of fun and I especially recommend it for casual leagues with friends.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 83)

Return to Baseball Leftovers