New to this keeper league. A couple questions? Thanks! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

New to this keeper league. A couple questions? Thanks!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

New to this keeper league. A couple questions? Thanks!

Postby TheGhost » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:30 pm

So I'm new to the keeper league thing and I'm curious if a few of these players deserve to be on a roster.

Here are the roster positions that my league allows:
C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, OF, OF, OF, Util, SP, SP, RP, RP, P, P, P, P, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, DL, DL

1) Since I will have two DL positions, is it worth it to draft a guy like Strasburg?

2) Since I will have 6 bench slots is it worth it to draft a guy like Bryce Harper late?

3) Is a guy like Madison Bumgarner worth drafting over Roy Oswalt in a keeper league?

Any other info, is much appreciated as well! Thanks!
TheGhost
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 101)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: New to this keeper league. A couple questions? Thanks!

Postby HOOTIE » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:38 pm

no no no

Neither guy will play this year
Bumgarner is overrated, i prefer Oswalt
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby HybridTheory » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:40 pm

In a brand new keeper league, I often bump young guys up several rounds. Its a delicate balance though, as you can't give away the 1st year of your league. All the guys you mentioned are definitely worth drafting, however, it depends on who you've got already. If you've got a couple quality starters, then you can grab Strasburg to stash him. Id definitely take Bumgarner, kids already proven he can do it.
HybridTheory
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 14)

Postby fast dogs » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:44 pm

many of these questions are going to be answered by how big of a league it is and how many keepers you get. Strasburg will get drafted in keeper leagues, but how many you get to keep determines where he'd go. If you only keep 2, he's not worth drafting. If you keep 12, he's a mid draft pick.
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 299)

Postby TheGhost » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:10 pm

fast dogs wrote:many of these questions are going to be answered by how big of a league it is and how many keepers you get. Strasburg will get drafted in keeper leagues, but how many you get to keep determines where he'd go. If you only keep 2, he's not worth drafting. If you keep 12, he's a mid draft pick.

It's a 10 team league. H2H yahoo. 5x5. I have the 5th pick and we keep 7 players. My keepers are: Carl Crawford, A-Rod, Jason Heyward, BJ Upton, Dan Uggla, Tim Lincecum, and Jered Weaver.
TheGhost
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 101)

Postby chargerss24 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:55 pm

TheGhost wrote:So I'm new to the keeper league thing and I'm curious if a few of these players deserve to be on a roster.

1) Since I will have two DL positions, is it worth it to draft a guy like Strasburg?

2) Since I will have 6 bench slots is it worth it to draft a guy like Bryce Harper late?

3) Is a guy like Madison Bumgarner worth drafting over Roy Oswalt in a keeper league?

Any other info, is much appreciated as well! Thanks!

1) Only if you can draft him with your last draft pick if you absolutely feel that you need him. Make others reach and waste an early pick on him. You might regret drafting him at all if the injury bug bites you because he's hogging a DL slot. I'd would recomend leaving him out there and if he's still there late in the season, jump on him.

2) Only if you can draft him with your second-to-last draft pick if you absolutely feel that you need him. Make others reach and waste an early pick on him. At the very best, he's a Sept. call up IMO. Why waste a roster spot on someone who won't play? But if he's still out there late in the season, jump on him.

3) You have a great 1-2 punch with Lincecum and Weaver. I would draft a veteran like Oswalt who will compliment your staff very nicely.

Like to take a shot at my question?
viewtopic.php?t=422858
C-Doumit, Salty
1B- Fielder
2B-Pedroia
SS-Reyes
3B-Longoria
CI- Morneau
MI- Kipnis
OF- Myers Jennings Heyward
U- Ellsbury, B. Upton, Bruce

SP-Price Fernandez Miller Wheeler, Kluber