Who do I build my pitching staff around? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Who do I build my pitching staff around?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Who do I build my pitching staff around?

Postby Fantasy GM » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:39 am

Points H2H keepers league, 12 teams - Currently, we can keep up to 3 players. After 2011, up to 4 players, adding significance for this season. Offense is the standard C/1B/2B/3B/SS/3 OF and then a UTL. Pitching has a max starts/week limit if 12 (during a normal week).

My team currently: 1B Pujols, OF Heyward

Situation: Our league has a 1.) Pre-draft...teams who keep less than 3 players participate in it, they draft their third "keeper." 2.) Regular draft - As normal. Teams trade picks, so I have a few new picks in the early rounds. I have the #1 overall pick in both drafts. Three teams are in the pre-draft, so I essentially have 2 of the next 4 picks.

Who is being considered? HITTERS: Teixeira, Fielder (both would be UTL for me), J. Hamilton (but injuries scare me).
PITCHERS: Price, Cain, Greinke, Hamels, Hanson, Haren, Liriano.
There are other very good players available, these are the guys I'd consider for the two picks.

My strategy at the moment? Most likely, at least one of my two picks here will be a SP. However, I'm not sure which strategy works best in a Points H2H Keeper league (3 for 2011, 4 after 2011). Which do you like best?
A.) Take one of the hitters in the pre-draft, then a SP in the regular...if so, which players?
B.) Take TWO SP's...if so, which ones?
C.) Go offensive overload with two of the hitters...if so, which players? There is a chance a guy like Youk (along with some other very quality bats) is available for my second regular draft pick (so my 3rd pick total).

Any help is appreciated.
Last edited by Fantasy GM on Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fantasy GM
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Who do I build my pitching staff around?

Postby jmlevy » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:07 am

Teix
Price
Hamilton/Fielder
Greinke/Hanson
Owner of the Atlanta Braves in Strike Zone Dynasty
jmlevy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 10)

Postby chargerss24 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:11 am

Something I typically do is focus on hitters. Much more reliable than pitchers. I would probably take Tex with your first pick (Then perhaps flip him to upgrade another infield slot?). Since you're looking at another 1B and an injury-prone Hamilton, I would go for a pitcher and I think I would lean toward taking Hamels as he will go up against most teams' No. 4. But I don't think you could go wrong with Price or Greinke. I'd stay away from Haren though.

Thanks for the help on mine!
C-Doumit, Salty
1B- Fielder
2B-Pedroia
SS-Reyes
3B-Longoria
CI- Morneau
MI- Kipnis
OF- Myers Jennings Heyward
U- Ellsbury, B. Upton, Bruce

SP-Price Fernandez Miller Wheeler, Kluber
RP-Grilli, Farquhar, Crow, Veras
chargerss24
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 42)

Postby Fantasy GM » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:41 am

Thanks for the replies so far. At the moment, I am still a little torn (specifically about the guys below). I will, more than likely, use at least one pick on a SP. My thoughts on some of my considerees:

Prince - Only 26, has had tremendous seasons before, and in a contract year. But is he too inconsistent?
Teixeira - Older at 31, but more consistent than Prince. Also gets hot in 2nd half for H2H playoffs. But is he a better keeper than Prince?

Cain - Workhorse can go deep into games. Posts very good numbers.
Greinke - Change-of-scenery to a contender. Can he come somewhat close to '09 numbers?
Hamels - Great ratios and can get a couple more wins due to pitching matchups.
Hanson - Youngest one here at 24. Shows the promise to be great, but is he the best pick or two here?
Price - Tremendous stuff. However, tough AL East may see his numbers hike up a little bit.

Also, having a masher 1B in my UTL spot can make my offense very dangerous (to go along with one SP). Meanwhile, a 1-2 punch with two of the above makes my pitching potentially great too. Big decisions.
Fantasy GM
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Missing Link » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:39 am

looks like you only need one more from the list.

In that case I would go with Teix. over Fielder. He is more consistent like you mentioned, but also his floor is higher. He will probably still have a good 4-5 years of quality baseball stats left in him. I think he has more potential to repeat his 09 numbers than Fielder does.

Pitching has more depth in a 10 team league than any other position.

WHIR?
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=422867
Missing Link
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Fantasy GM » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:45 am

Thanks, any more thoughts?

On the 1B front, as I've said before, still a toss-up. In addition to what I mentioned earlier, Prince draws more walks and is the more likely one to have some .280-45-125 season. However, as some of you indicated, Tex is indeed more consistent, with a higher floor. However, he is also 31 while Prince will be 27. Decisions Decisions...

With the SP, I wrote my quick thought and questions above. Not sure who the best option would be. Some of my league-mates keep pushing that I take Price because they are big fans of him, but I really do not see him going 2.72 ERA again. AL East lineups and his peripheral ratios (FIP, etc.) suggest his ERA could climb 0.50-0.75 of a point.
Fantasy GM
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby HOOTIE » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:50 am

Prince
Hamilton

None of those SP rank above those 2 to me.

If i took a SP, it would be Hanson.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions