oh what to do ... WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

oh what to do ... WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

oh what to do ... WHIR

Postby mekman20 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:39 pm

We held our 12-team live auction yesterday. We put $100 each on it, so everyone's at least pretty decent in the league. Let me know what you think. I can't find my piece of paper that I wrote all the prices of the guys I bought, but I do know Adrian cost $54, which is the same amount Pujols, Hanley, and Miggy went for. Maybe I overbid...I definitely wasn't planning on that, but I ended up really wanting him.

C: Miguel Montero, Kurt Suzuki
1B: Adrian Gonzalez
2B: Kelly Johnson
3B: Alex Rodriguez
SS: Stephen Drew, Ian Desmond
OF: Matt Kemp
OF: Andrew McCutchen
OF: Austin Jackson
Util (2) -- filled now by Desmond and Suzuki [not how I intend to keep it]

SP: Yovani Gallardo
SP: Jon Lester
SP: Trevor Cahill
RP: Craig Kimbrel
RP: Andrew Bailey
P: Jeremy Hellickson
P: James Shields
P: John Danks
P: Aroldis Chapman
P: Luke Gregerson
P: Johnny Venters
Also Michael Pineda and Adam Wainwright.

We made it a three player keeper, with a maximum keeper amount of $75 total. That's why I spent $1 on Wainwright to store on my DL spot all year and probably keep him for the minimum keeper value of $5. I doubt Pineda will stick on my roster too long. But, outside of the keeper aspect...thoughts on the team? I'm not too high on Gallardo, but he went pretty cheap.

Obviously I need to do something about my util situation. Usually, players stick out to me as certain commodities I could afford to lose to improve elsewhere. I've bee considering trading Arod in a 2 for 1 for a 3b and another hitter...obviously that's a vague description...but I'm not so sure that's the most prudent move. Desmond and the lesser of Montero / Suzuki are of no use to me until/unless I trade them...I doubt I'll get any game changers for either, though.
C. McCann
1b. Agon
2b. Pedroia
3b. Arod
ss. Drew
OF. McCutchen
OF. Sizemore
OF. R. Davis
U. Morse
U. Beltran
Bn. Yunel, Freeman
SP. Verlander, Felix, Shields, B. Anderson, Bedard, Danks, Nolasco, Garza
RP. Kimbrel, Bailey, Melancon, Venters
DL/RP. Padilla
mekman20
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: oh what to do ... WHIR

Postby mekman20 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:51 pm

Well one thing I just (likely) did was Gallardo and Desmond for Verlander. I like that for me, and it opens up a spot for a better util player. Still moves to be made.
C. McCann
1b. Agon
2b. Pedroia
3b. Arod
ss. Drew
OF. McCutchen
OF. Sizemore
OF. R. Davis
U. Morse
U. Beltran
Bn. Yunel, Freeman
DL/RP. Padilla
mekman20
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Fantasy GM » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:38 pm

mekman20 wrote:Well one thing I just (likely) did was Gallardo and Desmond for Verlander. I like that for me, and it opens up a spot for a better util player. Still moves to be made.

The trade itself is fine, but how does this help your UTL situation exactly? Given your roster, I don't see a ton of depth in regard to landing another stud hitter for the UTL role. One idea is see how the season begins, as there will definitely be some productive hitting talent on waivers (you think anyone had Jose Bautista in their lineup last Opening Day? lol).

$1 for Wainwright was nice, $54 for AGon probably too expensive.

Which 1B do you prefer: viewtopic.php?t=422821
Fantasy GM
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mekman20 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:46 pm

I only bought Desmond because he would have value at SS for someone else [I already had Drew]. IMO, there's more productive/higher potential guys on waivers than Desmond...Desmond is just worth more because he's an upper tier guy at a weak position.
C. McCann
1b. Agon
2b. Pedroia
3b. Arod
ss. Drew
OF. McCutchen
OF. Sizemore
OF. R. Davis
U. Morse
U. Beltran
Bn. Yunel, Freeman
DL/RP. Padilla
mekman20
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby wkpdpack » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:17 pm

I like the trade you made! Your team looks pretty good and seems balanced. I'd agree $54 was too much for Gonzalez, but it didn't seem to hurt you too much. Looks like you should try to upgrade at 2B by dealing Johnson and one of your catchers.

Please help with my post viewtopic.php?t=422838
wkpdpack
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Fenris-77 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:46 pm

I think your offense looks a little weak honestly. Nothing you can't fix of course. Was Encarnation drafted in your league? If not he should be on your list of adds to fill the spot opened up by that trade. I only mention him because he's going undrafted in a laughable number of leagues. If he was drafted, why don't you give us a quick precis of who's on the wire, so we can weigh in on your options.
Fenris-77
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 51)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby mekman20 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:14 pm

Yeah...I think the main reason my offense may look a little weak right now is those two essentially void util spots. My outfielders aren't huge power (though Kemp could hit 30+), but they should excel everywhere else. My catchers aren't elite but they're respectable. 1b and 3b are first round talents. Drew is probably as good as anyone at short after Tulo and Hanley. I do agree with what the other poster said... I think I am going to look to upgrade 2b...even though Kelly was disgusting last year, I don't think he repeats that -- though he will be a top power 2b. Edwin Encarnacion?? really?? He's not being considered.

Because my outfield consists of three guys who can/should steal 30 +, I'm thinking it might be wise to deal McCutchen or Jackson for more of a legit power threat OF. I'd only consider McCutchen because I know he'd bring back more of a haul than Jackson will. I'm thinking I might just need to drop Suzuki for another pickup. Chris Iannetta is a free agent (for some reason) ... so obviously no one is too desparate for a catcher.
C. McCann
1b. Agon
2b. Pedroia
3b. Arod
ss. Drew
OF. McCutchen
OF. Sizemore
OF. R. Davis
U. Morse
U. Beltran
Bn. Yunel, Freeman
DL/RP. Padilla
mekman20
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Fenris-77 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:29 pm

Encarnation looks to be the Jay's full time DH, and if he keeps that role all year he'll probably net you something like 25 homers, although with a poor Avg (.250-.260). ESPN has him ranked in their top 200 (at 196), so it's not just me that thinks he might be worth owning.

As far as your OF goes, you'll want to keep McCutchen, since you're light on power already and he's a sexy looking keeper. Deal Jackson for whatever you can get I suppose.
Fenris-77
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 51)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions