Best 3B in OPS league: Sandoval, Reynolds, Alvarez? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Best 3B in OPS league: Sandoval, Reynolds, Alvarez?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Best 3B in OPS league: Sandoval, Reynolds, Alvarez?

Postby dg12x » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:45 pm

Who makes the best pick in a league that counts OPS and extra base hits?

Pablo Sandoval
Mark Reynolds
Pedro Alvarez
Casey McGehee

Thanks for any help!
dg12x
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Best 3B in OPS league: Sandoval, Reynolds, Alvarez?

Postby mpieco » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:53 pm

Funny how the best 3B out of your options wasn't even mentioned in the title, haha.

Sandoval is no sure thing--I would NOT take the risk that returns to his 2009 form.

Reynolds is a legit option, and will certainly have power numbers, but the K numbers (and thus lack of hits that aren't home runs/AVG) will be a downer.

Alvarez is good, and the Pittsburgh lineup probably won't be as brutal as it was last year. He'll have power numbers for sure, and his average will probably be higher than the other 2 guys.

However, I just think McGehee has proven over the last 2 years that he is a great hitter, and will continue to benefit from being behind Braun/Fielder in that lineup, and put up great RBI numbers. He'll have a .285 average, and hit enough HRs that he won't be put to shame by the other 3.

So for me the "safe" pick is McGehee, while the "risky but worth it" pick would be Alvarez/Reynolds. Why gamble on Sandoval going back to 2009 if you have those other 3 options?
(In reference to an Aaron Hill for David Price swap)

twinkypoop wrote:
mpieco wrote: You're my new hero if that gets accepted.

Trade accepted! Thanks for the help!
mpieco
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Best 3B in OPS league: Sandoval, Reynolds, Alvarez?

Postby dg12x » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:58 pm

mpieco wrote:Funny how the best 3B out of your options wasn't even mentioned in the title, haha.

Sandoval is no sure thing--I would NOT take the risk that returns to his 2009 form.

Reynolds is a legit option, and will certainly have power numbers, but the K numbers (and thus lack of hits that aren't home runs/AVG) will be a downer.

Alvarez is good, and the Pittsburgh lineup probably won't be as brutal as it was last year. He'll have power numbers for sure, and his average will probably be higher than the other 2 guys.

However, I just think McGehee has proven over the last 2 years that he is a great hitter, and will continue to benefit from being behind Braun/Fielder in that lineup, and put up great RBI numbers. He'll have a .285 average, and hit enough HRs that he won't be put to shame by the other 3.

So for me the "safe" pick is McGehee, while the "risky but worth it" pick would be Alvarez/Reynolds. Why gamble on Sandoval going back to 2009 if you have those other 3 options?

Appreciate the help. Was bouncing this question off a few others and McGehee always fell to the bottom of their lists. Main issue was not scoring many runs batting ahead of Yuniesky Betancourt. Not good protection and probably poor runs scored.

Thanks for the analysis.
dg12x
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions