Keepers in an Auction League - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Keepers in an Auction League

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Keepers in an Auction League

Postby woodson_28 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:39 pm

it's a $260 budget, players kept cost +$5 each year kept.

10 team league. 7x7 w/ traditional 5x5 + H, OPS and K/9, QS. Start 3 OF and 1 UTIL spot.

I plan to keep Kershaw as a SP. Then I either want to drop $60 on 2 more stud SP's, or keep another player like Hanson (19) or Price (11) and then only drop $30 on another stud SP.

Pujols 40
Fielder 34
Pedroia 24
Tulowitzki 29
A.Rod 36
J. Upton 30
N. Cruz 20
J. Heyward 11
D. Young 6

Gallardo 20
Hamels 17
Hanson 19
Kershaw 15
C. Lewis 6
Marcum 6
Price 11

I'm leaning toward Pujols, Tulo, Pedoria, Cruz, Heyward, D. Young, Kershaw and Hanson for around $164 of my 260 budget. Leaving me $100 for 3B, C, UTIL and then SP (which I plan to grab a few for $1). I figure in a 10 team league, there should be plenty of talent available at the price.

I would like to keep J. Upton too, and drop D. Young, but is it worth it for another $24?
woodson_28
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Keepers in an Auction League

Postby Redmond_Square » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:49 pm

Fielder 34
Pedroia 24
Tulowitzki 29
A.Rod 36
N. Cruz 20
J. Heyward 11
D. Young 6
Hamels 17
Kershaw 15
Price 11
Marcum 6
This gives you 209 and you'd have 41 to spend on a catcher, back end starters and closers all of which can be had for value picks. Guys like Arrencbia, Minor, Dickey, Bailey etc upside plays should be rather cheap in your draft. Plus you got cheap, yet efficient closers like Gregg or Nathan coming off an injury should go under the radar in your draft I actually threw Pujols out and kept Fieler cuz that smallish of downgrades if any to tell saves you 6 bucks in the draft. Tulo must be kept. Heyward, Young, Kershaw, Marcum and Price are all great values as well.
Redmond_Square
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 58)

Postby Seanyfever » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:08 pm

woodson_28 wrote:it's a $260 budget, players kept cost +$5 each year kept.

10 team league. 7x7 w/ traditional 5x5 + H, OPS and K/9, QS. Start 3 OF and 1 UTIL spot.

I plan to keep Kershaw as a SP. Then I either want to drop $60 on 2 more stud SP's, or keep another player like Hanson (19) or Price (11) and then only drop $30 on another stud SP.

Pujols 40
Fielder 34
Pedroia 24
Tulowitzki 29
J. Heyward 11

Hamels 17
Kershaw 15
Price 11

I'm leaning toward Pujols, Tulo, Pedoria, Cruz, Heyward, D. Young, Kershaw and Hanson for around $164 of my 260 budget. Leaving me $100 for 3B, C, UTIL and then SP (which I plan to grab a few for $1). I figure in a 10 team league, there should be plenty of talent available at the price.

I would like to keep J. Upton too, and drop D. Young, but is it worth it for another $24?

I am keeping Pujols. If he is $40, Prince looks about fair value and I am looking where I can get back better value. Still, hard to pass as he should be motivated in '11.
ARod does not register as a valable keeper here. IMO.
I could see Cruz at $20, but at worst I think he can be had for a few more bucks. Of any player, I could add him.
Upton does not compute for me at $30 either.
YoGa is a borderline one for me.... and I may also prefer Marcum at $6. Better return.
I like Hamels over Hanson.

I do not play auction, but I am very interested in them. Looks like you have lots of pieces to work from. In the future, I have to get into one of these leagues, as it includes a whole other element.

Help me.
viewtopic.php?t=422387
Expos... Gone, but not forgotten.
Seanyfever
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Response Team
(Past Year: 290)

Postby mpieco » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:55 pm

There is no way I would keep the following people for the projected +5 dollar amount:
Gallardo for 25.
A-Rod for 41
Hanson for 24
Cruz for 25

Next, there are some decision to make. If I were you, I'd only keep one of:
Pujols for 45
Fielder for 39

I'm going to assume you'd pay the extra 6 for Pujols. So that's 45.

I think that Pedroia (29) and Tulo (34) are good to keep around. So now you're at 108 bucks. You almost have a full infield. I would throw A-Rod back into the pool and see if you can do better.

Now, OF. Heyward is an absolute keeper for 16. I think Delmon Young is too good to pass up for 11 bucks. You need to do that. Justin Upton for 35 is fine. So that's 62 for your OF, and it's pretty well-rounded. Great AVG, great power, great RBIs. Maybe just a bit skimpy on steals, but that is remedied easily (a lot of cheap steals to be had).

Overall with offense keepers, you're at 170 bucks.

Hamels (22) and Kershaw (20) are both better than Hanson and both come cheaper, so they're no-brainers. That's 42, so now you're sitting at 212.

With only 48 dollars remaining, difficult decisions need to be made. I'd say Lewis for 11 is out. I think it's EITHER Marcum for 11 or Price for 16. I'd go with the cheaper option, obviously. So now I'm at 223, leaving me 37 bucks.

C-
1B- Albert Pujols
2B- Dustin Pedroia
3B-
SS- Troy Tulowitzki
OF- Justin Upton
OF- Jason Heyward
OF- Delmon Young
UTL-

SP- Cole Hamels
SP- Clayton Kershaw
SP- Shaun Marcum

It's up to you, but this is what I would do. If you want to save more money/keep Hanson or Price, you can dump Delmon Young/Shaun Marcum to do that. I also wouldn't be against dropping Tulo for that amount and investing that money in a few more mid-range players and going with a sleeper option at SS.
(In reference to an Aaron Hill for David Price swap)

twinkypoop wrote:
mpieco wrote: You're my new hero if that gets accepted.

Trade accepted! Thanks for the help!
mpieco
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby woodson_28 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:13 pm

Thanks for the suggestions guys. It's only the second yr into this league, so it's the first year that I am dealing with the keeper aspect of the auction draft.

Two things I didn't make clear
1) We only keep max of 8.
2) The prices I listed are w/ the +$5 already added. So Pujols will only cost $40 to keep. He'll cost $45 to keep next year. And so on.

I appreciate the breakdown of value though.
woodson_28
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mpieco » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:21 pm

Ah, ok. Then I'd keep the guys I said minus Delmon Young. And, since the +5 was already added in, feel free to keep Hanson or Price over Marcum.

Good luck!
(In reference to an Aaron Hill for David Price swap)

twinkypoop wrote:
mpieco wrote: You're my new hero if that gets accepted.

Trade accepted! Thanks for the help!
mpieco
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby wkpdpack » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:53 pm

I'd keep Pujols, Tulo, Pedroia, D. Young, Kershaw, Hamels, Hanson, Price, Cruz, D. Young = $186
All of those guys are good value. Fielder is decent value at $34 but I don't see you needing him and Pujols.

Please help with my post viewtopic.php?t=422762
wkpdpack
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions