Position Scarcity? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Position Scarcity?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Position Scarcity?

Postby octagon999 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:37 pm

Which positions this year do you think are short enough to affect draft order? In other words, which ones are too short in talent for you to afford to let slide?

Which ones are so full of good options you can afford to let the top picks go?
octagon999
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Position Scarcity?

Postby Slayer Rules » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:58 pm

octagon999 wrote:Which positions this year do you think are short enough to affect draft order? In other words, which ones are too short in talent for you to afford to let slide?

Which ones are so full of good options you can afford to let the top picks go?

Answer to Q#1: IF

Q#2: OF
Slayer Rules
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Skin Blues » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:11 pm

1. catcher

2. the rest
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 120)

Postby MTUCache » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:13 pm

Slayer Rules wrote:Answer to Q#1: IF

Disagree... to a point.

Depends on your league settings. 10-teamers are a cakewalk this season. 12-teamers with CI/MI/5xOF get pretty tight. Two-Catcher leagues are almost nauseating.

C - Top 4/5 (depending on where you like Santana) very high, then a HUGE wait to a nice deep pool of 10+ decent options.
1B/UT - Deep through the first 7 or so, then rather shallow. The second group of 10 is fairly even though.
2B - Steep dropoff after the first few, then ridiculously gradual from 5-15.
SS - Two ++ options, then a bunch of bad question marks after that. Tiers 2-4 could last 10 rounds. After that a wasteland.
3B - 5 good options, then 5 question marks, then no upside guys.
OF - A very nice, gradual slope from the top-tier guys all the way through the top-50 OF. Plenty of deep up-side guys to fill in 12x5xOF leagues. Still don't want to be caught without at least two top-25 OF guys though.

SP - SO. DEEP. One ace (top-15SP, down to around Weaver/Hamels), and then a bunch of high-upside young guys late in the draft is perfectly fine by me.

RP - Doesn't much matter. Get two safe closers, two risky ones, and keep your eyes/ears open through the season and you'll be fine.

In short, I'm not getting stuck without both my corner spots, one OF spot, and one C/MI spot filled after the first five rounds. In most mocks, I'm drafting only two pitchers through the first 12 rounds.
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby free » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:45 pm

MTUCache wrote:
Slayer Rules wrote:Answer to Q#1: IF

Disagree... to a point.

Depends on your league settings. 10-teamers are a cakewalk this season. 12-teamers with CI/MI/5xOF get pretty tight. Two-Catcher leagues are almost nauseating.

C - Top 4/5 (depending on where you like Santana) very high, then a HUGE wait to a nice deep pool of 10+ decent options.
1B/UT - Deep through the first 7 or so, then rather shallow. The second group of 10 is fairly even though.
2B - Steep dropoff after the first few, then ridiculously gradual from 5-15.
SS - Two ++ options, then a bunch of bad question marks after that. Tiers 2-4 could last 10 rounds. After that a wasteland.
3B - 5 good options, then 5 question marks, then no upside guys.
OF - A very nice, gradual slope from the top-tier guys all the way through the top-50 OF. Plenty of deep up-side guys to fill in 12x5xOF leagues. Still don't want to be caught without at least two top-25 OF guys though.

SP - SO. DEEP. One ace (top-15SP, down to around Weaver/Hamels), and then a bunch of high-upside young guys late in the draft is perfectly fine by me.

RP - Doesn't much matter. Get two safe closers, two risky ones, and keep your eyes/ears open through the season and you'll be fine.

In short, I'm not getting stuck without both my corner spots, one OF spot, and one C/MI spot filled after the first five rounds. In most mocks, I'm drafting only two pitchers through the first 12 rounds.

+1 ;-D
Member #3 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club
free
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby dclark0699 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:05 pm

For what it's worth, the math formula I use in my spreadsheet for Position scarcity, comes up with these numbers when no one has been selected in the draft.

(Higher equals more scarce)

Catcher - 10.25853542
First Base- 3.701171875
Second Base - 6.076875
Third Base - 5.660749507
Shortstop - 7.76600346
Outfield - 1.884962259
Starting Pitcher - 0.818079366
Relief Pitcher - 2.2303207

While the numbers obviously don't mean much, it does give an idea of the position scarcity relative to one another.
dclark0699
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby octagon999 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:47 pm

Thanks for some excellent feedback! Exactly what I was looking for. In my keeper league we have 12 teams, H2H, with the following roster spots:
C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, IF, OFx4, UT, SPx2, RPx2, Px3

In my case, I am keeping a 3B, OF, C/1B, and SS, so I feel pretty good about that after reading the responses.

Thanks again!
octagon999
College Coach
College Coach

Postby MTUCache » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:07 am

octagon999 wrote:I am keeping a 3B, OF, C/1B, and SS, so I feel pretty good about that after reading the responses.

As long as that SS has a last name like Tulo or a first name like Hanley, and the catcher is either Posey or VMart (as opposed to Napoli), I'd be comfortable with that.

Out of curiosity, who are your keepers and what are your keeper rules (first four rounds, or at last year's draft round, contracts?)... I'd be curious to see who gets kept in a league like that (a very balanced offensive roster I think, 12x11 batters is a nice depth).
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby octagon999 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:53 am

My keepers are Reyes, Posey, Kemp, and Longoria. We can keep any four players every year, period. We can keep them for as long as we like. They become our first four picks in the draft, so for all intents and purposes, our draft starts in round five. I do know I need to pick up another SS at some point, just not sure which one or when, but Reyes will spend time on the DL during the season. Still, when he's playing, he's been great.
octagon999
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Skin Blues » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:18 am

wow, that's a great site. Surprised I haven't read about it on here before. I like that you can see how things are calculated as opposed to just having a number spat out. Pretty much does the same thing as an Excel spreadsheet I have, but it's way easier to use. The only thing is that you can't adjust the category values. With the current method of addressing position scarcity by using a separate category it would probably be a pain in the ass to implement. I wish stuff like this wasn't available, makes it too easy to have a great set of customized dollar values.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 120)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers