Last Keeper

Postby Niffoc4 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:15 am

16 team 5x5 league. We keep 6. So far my keepers are:
Longoria
Adrian Gonzalez
Adam Dunn
Mat Latos
Clayton Kershaw

For the last spot I am between Mark Reynolds and Nick Markakis. I could also keep Buchholz, but 3 starters seems like a bit much. I was leaning towards Reynolds, because I think he has greater upside, but I don't think it would work having Reynolds AND Dunn again.
Niffoc4
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Last Keeper

Postby mpieco » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:40 am

I think you said it all yourself--you already have someone to sink your AVG, so why add a second? Reynolds AVG is bound to bounce back to the .250 area, but 1). it's sad I just said "bounce back" to .250, and 2). That's not even a guarantee.

Go with Markakis, he's the safe choice. He'll go .300-15-80 and that's solid.

However, I'd be seriously tempted to go with Buchholz, because neither hitter is worth more than Buchholz. If you want a hitter, go with Markakis. If you want the best keeper, go with Buchholz.
(In reference to an Aaron Hill for David Price swap)

twinkypoop wrote:
mpieco wrote: You're my new hero if that gets accepted.

Trade accepted! Thanks for the help!
mpieco
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Gags Sports » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:59 am

Niffoc4 wrote:16 team 5x5 league. We keep 6. So far my keepers are:
Longoria
Adrian Gonzalez
Adam Dunn
Mat Latos
Clayton Kershaw

For the last spot I am between Mark Reynolds and Nick Markakis. I could also keep Buchholz, but 3 starters seems like a bit much. I was leaning towards Reynolds, because I think he has greater upside, but I don't think it would work having Reynolds AND Dunn again.

Is there anyway you could try and upgrade your keepers? Say by trading Reynolds and Kershaw for someone like Utley? Reynolds is the best keeper out of your three options, but with already having Dunn it's not in your best interest to keep both. My first recommendation would be to try and upgrade your keepers. If you can't, I would still keep Reynolds over the other two and try and trade him in season. Markakis should not be kept over Reynolds and you probably should't keep three starters.
Gags Sports
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)

Postby jmlevy » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:45 am

Gags Sports wrote:
Niffoc4 wrote:Is there anyway you could try and upgrade your keepers? Say by trading Reynolds and Kershaw for someone like Utley? Reynolds is the best keeper out of your three options, but with already having Dunn it's not in your best interest to keep both. My first recommendation would be to try and upgrade your keepers. If you can't, I would still keep Reynolds over the other two and try and trade him in season. Markakis should not be kept over Reynolds and you probably should't keep three starters.

I like this advice. When selecting keepers, you HAVE to go with best players available, regardless of position. If you keep Buchholz, you stack your rotation and then focus on hitting early in draft. If you keep Reynolds (or trade him as part of an upgrade), you are more balanced and can adopt multiple draft strategies. It all depends on how you want to approach the draft and where you believe you can extract the most value.

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=422744
Owner of the Atlanta Braves in Strike Zone Dynasty
jmlevy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 10)

Postby Niffoc4 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:05 pm

I could actually do Scherzer or Brett Anderson as well if you guys think I should just take an SP. What makes me hesitant is what I see as the wide availability of starters in comparison with hitters. I am looking into trades as well, but barring any I'll have to make a decision based on what i have.
Niffoc4
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby HOOTIE » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:16 pm

Anderson
Scherzer
Reynolds
Markakis
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions