Keeper League setup question - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Keeper League setup question

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Keeper League setup question

Postby cs3 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:07 am

i asked this in the Commish forum but there is not much traffic there and after a week i got 0 replies.

Im in a first year keeper league where 5 players will be kept. Next year you will lose a draft pick in the round each of your keepers was originally drafted, (essentially if after the season you keep a player drafted from round 5, he will be your 5th round pick next year)
My questions are:
(1) do most leagues limit how many players you can keep from a particular round?
For example if one team amasses 3 first round players via trade, and wishes to keep them all, do you just assign those keepers as the owners first 3 picks? Or do you say each owner can only keep 1 first rounder?

(2) Do you guys recommend any penalty for keeping the same player multiple years in a row? Like if you keep a your 10th round pick from year one, then in year 2 you will not have a 10th rounder. If you decide to keep that same player again in year 3, do you still lose only a 10th round pick, or do you bump up the "keeper round" by X number of rounds?
So for example if X=3, instead of losing a 10th rounder, now you lose a 7 rounder, and the following year if you wish to keep him again you lose a 4th round pick... ?

(3) How would an in-season trade of a keeper affect the rules that apply to (2) above?
in most leagues does the player maintain his "# of keeper years" + the draft pick lost, regardless of what team he goes to until he is no longer kept and returns to the draft? Or when a player is traded do leagues generally assign the new owner the original round the player was drafted as lost draft pick?
cs3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Keeper League setup question

Postby jmlevy » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:56 am

cs3 wrote:(1) do most leagues limit how many players you can keep from a particular round?
For example if one team amasses 3 first round players via trade, and wishes to keep them all, do you just assign those keepers as the owners first 3 picks? Or do you say each owner can only keep 1 first rounder? I have seen leagues limit one per round, and I have seen other leagues that remove supplemental draft picks. For instance, two first rounders = first and second round

(2) Do you guys recommend any penalty for keeping the same player multiple years in a row? Like if you keep a your 10th round pick from year one, then in year 2 you will not have a 10th rounder. If you decide to keep that same player again in year 3, do you still lose only a 10th round pick, or do you bump up the "keeper round" by X number of rounds?
So for example if X=3, instead of losing a 10th rounder, now you lose a 7 rounder, and the following year if you wish to keep him again you lose a 4th round pick... ? I have seen leagues increment a keeper's round by 3 each year. I have also seen leagues restrict a manager from keeping a player more than 3 years, which would be upheld with trades as well.

(3) How would an in-season trade of a keeper affect the rules that apply to (2) above?
in most leagues does the player maintain his "# of keeper years" + the draft pick lost, regardless of what team he goes to until he is no longer kept and returns to the draft? Or when a player is traded do leagues generally assign the new owner the original round the player was drafted as lost draft pick? A player's value is only taken from the active team as of the keeper deadline. Player value would remain through trades

viewtopic.php?uid=38809&t=422744#p3352259
Owner of the Atlanta Braves in Strike Zone Dynasty
jmlevy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions