Where do I go from here? (Bit long, sorry ahead, WHIR) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Where do I go from here? (Bit long, sorry ahead, WHIR)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Where do I go from here? (Bit long, sorry ahead, WHIR)

Postby mister_jay_peg » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:53 pm

Sorry, this one is kind of long, so I apologize ahead of time if it jumps back and forth between a few things...
To start off, here is my current roster:

C EMPTY
1B Adam Dunn
2B Brandon Phillips
SS EMPTY
3B Aramis Ramirez
OF Mike Stanton
OF Curtis Granderson
OF Torii Hunter
UTIL Brett Gardner
UTIL EMPTY

SP Justin Verlander
SP Jered Weaver
SP Brett Myers
RP Francisco Rodriguez
RP John Axford
P Daniel Hudson
P Javier Vazquez
P EMPTY

BN EMPTY
BN EMPTY
BN EMPTY
BN EMPTY
BN EMPTY

Anyway, my league is in the middle of a slow draft and I'm almost filled up on starting slots. I have 3 picks in the next 14 (two back-to-back 8&9 away and then one 14 away).

It's a Yahoo-format league w/ 1 C, 3 OF, 2 Util, 0 MI/CI, 3SP, 3P, 2RP. It's also H2H and standard 5x5.

Obviously, still need C/SS/Util2, 1P and all my bench.

Anyway... Only one other team needs a SS and only one other needs a C. The last U spot is wide open, 6 need to fill, and one guy still needs an OF *and* a U. There are also still 13 openings at P and 3 at RP.

Now, it's likely that pitchers are going to be going pretty quick in the next few rounds, because more than half the league (myself included) prefer a bench heavy on pitching depth to cycle in and out throughout the week. (With acquisition limits, cycling from the waiver-wire is impossible, thank God)

So, here is a player list for the positions...
(I will be bolding the guys I like, and bold/UL the guys I *really* like)

I know that SS's like Hardy, A.Cabrera, Aybar, Desmond and Escobar will be available for my picks on the turn, along with a good group of multi-position guys like Tejada, Peralta and Theriot (guy who needs SS won't draft for another 19, well after my 3).

C's like Posada, Napoli, Iannetta, Martin, AJ, Jaso, Thole, Salty and Arencibia will be around, too. And probably for a while, since no one in my league tends to draft 2 C's.
Now, the guy who needs a C drafts before me, and he said he's deciding between Napoli, Posada and Arencibia, so one of them *WILL* be gone by my pick.

For my Utility slot, there are a good chunk of guys I could look at over the next few rounds or take a flier late:
Likely gone before my next turn (Take on Rd6/7, gone by Rd8/9): Huff, D.Lee, Figgins, B.Roberts, R.Davis
Should be there at next turn (Rd8/9): J.Bay, Encarnacion, Wells, S.Smith, N.Morgan, Hill, Quentin, Morrison, Tabata
Fliers (10/11 or 12/13-last turns): G.Sizemore, Coghlan, M.Ordonez

As for available pitchers:

SP: Jackson, Floyd, Lackey, Wilson, Zimmermann, Kuroda, W.Davis, Burnett, Braden, Slowey, A.Sanchez, Kennedy, T.Wood
RP: Aardsma, Dotel, Nunez, Gregg, Lyon, Venters, Meek, Adams, Bard, Gregerson, Rodney, Benoit, Capps, Downs.

So, a couple of questions, now that I've bored you all with an insane amount of details.

1) Do I say screw it and punt AVG for the rest of the draft? My best AVG hitters are ARam (career .282) Hunter (career .275) and Phillips (career .267). I've got counting numbers to burn, but no one out there is gonna really turn my team around a ton, and there isn't much of a market available to me for the uber-high AVG guys like Pujols, Mauer, Miggy, Hanley, etc.

2) Do I even worry about C and SS this turn, knowing that there is a pretty big list waiting for me at each position?

3) If I wait on SS/C, should I get 2 pitchers on the turn and hope for one of those higher Utility guys to be there in 14 picks, or do I go Util/P and grab the second P with that later pick?

4) When I get around to drafting C/SS (now or later) I know whoever is left of Posada/Napoli would be my #1, but who's #2, 3 & 4?

5) For SS, I'm thinking A.Cabrera, Desmond, Peralta, Tejada. Agree or disagree?

So, again, I apologize for this being so damned long, but thanks ahead for the help and letting me pick a few brains. I'll help in return with as many as I can, but I'm also a full-time student and work 40, so time is precious. (Which leads me to ask myself how I spent this amount of time typing this up...) *heh* *groan*

Thanks again!

Jason
It's only cheating on your favorite team if you get caught... Like the '07 Series.
mister_jay_peg
College Coach
College Coach

Editor
(Past Year: 9)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Where do I go from here? (Bit long, sorry ahead, WHIR)

Postby jmlevy » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:49 am

mister_jay_peg wrote:1) Do I say screw it and punt AVG for the rest of the draft? My best AVG hitters are ARam (career .282) Hunter (career .275) and Phillips (career .267). I've got counting numbers to burn, but no one out there is gonna really turn my team around a ton, and there isn't much of a market available to me for the uber-high AVG guys like Pujols, Mauer, Miggy, Hanley, etc. Yes, punt the category

2) Do I even worry about C and SS this turn, knowing that there is a pretty big list waiting for me at each position? At this point, we the number of teams requiring those positions, focus on BPA

3) If I wait on SS/C, should I get 2 pitchers on the turn and hope for one of those higher Utility guys to be there in 14 picks, or do I go Util/P and grab the second P with that later pick? Again, BPA

4) When I get around to drafting C/SS (now or later) I know whoever is left of Posada/Napoli would be my #1, but who's #2, 3 & 4? Only other player to care about is RMartin

5) For SS, I'm thinking A.Cabrera, Desmond, Peralta, Tejada. Agree or disagree? I would move Desmond above Asdrubal...

viewtopic.php?uid=38809&t=422744#p3352259
Owner of the Atlanta Braves in Strike Zone Dynasty
jmlevy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 13)

Re: Where do I go from here? (Bit long, sorry ahead, WHIR)

Postby Redmond_Square » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:38 pm

I'd probably go with Escobar and Arrencibia nice upside plays with your picks.
Redmond_Square
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 60)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions