Sandoval, Weiters or someone else? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Sandoval, Weiters or someone else?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Sandoval, Weiters or someone else?

Postby NittanyLions1 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:40 pm

So we started our 1st round of drafting and my plans kinda changed because one of the outfielders I was hoping to have fall to me (either Bruce, Rios, or Markakis) didn't make it. I now kinda regret keeping Liriano and Gallardo over Bruce like alot of you suggested...HOOTIE being one. Just thought there would be a good chance of getting a high-end OF anyway and most top SP were being kept. Still not terrible because pitching is pretty key in this league but now I am stuck with a tough choice...WHO DO I GO WITH??

12 team H2H keeper POINTS league (we keep 10 +2 minor leaguers). We don't count K's for batters but count pretty much everything else including holds. Below is spots we start with my keepers. I am looking at Wieters, Sandoval, or an OF (maybe Pence). I also am considering Lind or Aaron HIll for bounce back seasons. Here are some top guys left at positions. I think I have a pretty solid base on offense to build from and there aren't any outfielders jumping at me really so that is why I was considering taking a shot on Wieters or Sandoval and then taking an OF next round. What do you think?

AVAILABLE
C: Wieters, Suzuki, Montero, Napoli, Russell
1B: Davis, Huff, Carlos Lee, Carlos Pena, Barton
2B: Hill, KJohnson, Roberts, Beckham
SS: S Drew, Furcal, Scutaro, Tejada, Escobar
3B: Sandoval, Headley, Betemit, Tejada, Encarnacion, Peralta, Stewart, Freese, Polanco
OF: Gardner, Hart, Pence, Abreu, Pagan, Jackson, Wells, Rasmus, Huff, Bourn, Span, CLee, Torres, Hunter, Morrison, Snider, Pierre, Burrell, Kubel, Mags, Byrd, Fowler
DH: Guerrero, Lind
SP: Volquez, Lewis, Dempster, Morrow, DHudson, Myers, JSanchez, Marcum, ASanchez, Romero, Buccholz, Lilly, ESantana
RP: Putz, Kimbrel, FRod, Street, Lyon, Axford, Thornton, Bailey, Nathan, Valverde, Perez, Franklin, Sale

MY TEAM
C:
1B: Cabrera
2B: Kinsler
SS: HRamirez
3B:
OF: Kemp
OF:
OF:
OF:
DH: AGonzalez
U:
U:
SP (Start 5): Lee, Kershaw, Liriano, Gallardo
RP (Start 4): Marmol

Minors: Jesus Montero, Desmond Jennings
Bench: (4 hitters only)
Last edited by NittanyLions1 on Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NittanyLions1
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Sandoval, Weiters or someone else?

Postby mkultra » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:25 pm

I'd grab another OF if you still have 3 spots there and those are your best options. I like Pence a lot this year, and if you're not counting K's Rasmus is a good option.
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 52)

Postby HOOTIE » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:21 pm

Pence
Maybe Wieters will be there next time.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 305)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby NittanyLions1 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:35 pm

Thanks guys. HOOTIE...like I said, I kinda wish I had kept Bruce now...ughhh. Just thought I would get a high-end OF with upside anyway.

So anyway, yeah I guess it still makes sense to play it safe with an OF probably. Pence or Rasmus sound good. I had Rasmus last year and think he could have a great year. Pence is safer and I like him also but his lineup scares me. Guess its probably between them at this point though and then hope Wieters or Sandoval make it to me next time. Anyone for Wieters or Sandoval now? The thought in taking them now would be in the hopes they breakout (they are only 24) and then I would have a good possible C/3B keeper...not to mention a competitive C/3B for this year. Thoughts on Pence or Rasmus (or anyone else)? Thanks and leave a link...
NittanyLions1
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Zhangman1 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:29 pm

i think id go be Pablo...could have a bounce back year, good enough to keep next year if he bounces back. I think Wieters fall further then sandoval.

Pence probably is the safest bet but if ur looking for upside id go pablo.
Zhangman1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 16)

Postby NittanyLions1 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:01 pm

Actually leaning towards Rasmus now...only because he should be more consistent each week then Pence and I just want something safer than Sandoval right now. Without looking at Rasmus I just know Pence has a bit of a reputation for being up and down for weeks on end, something not good in H2H leagues. Rasmus also should get more at bats this year and does have a much better lineup. So leaning Rasmus...make sense?
NittanyLions1
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby MotorCityKitties » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:05 pm

I'd also go with Pence.
MotorCityKitties
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby HOOTIE » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:35 pm

You got a good 10. Not like Gallardo/Liriano aren't good.
Any chance to trade up i draft for Bruce?
OF looks kind of bleak.
With some many OF spots to fill, you have to take Pence.
Regarding Wieters/Sandoval.
I think Wieters will get there. He had so much pressure being the top prospect when he came up.
I don't trust guys who are forced to lose 38 pounds. Who's to say he doesn't revert back to it?
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 305)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby NittanyLions1 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:32 pm

HOOTIE wrote:You got a good 10. Not like Gallardo/Liriano aren't good.
Any chance to trade up i draft for Bruce?
OF looks kind of bleak.
With some many OF spots to fill, you have to take Pence.
Regarding Wieters/Sandoval.
I think Wieters will get there. He had so much pressure being the top prospect when he came up.
I don't trust guys who are forced to lose 38 pounds. Who's to say he doesn't revert back to it?

No chance to trade up. We already started drafting and Bruce was taken first. Then Rios and Markakis went eventually also. Unfortunately Pence got taken just before me so I ended up going with Rasmus. OF is definitely getting bleak. I've always looked at OF and my Utility spots as places that I can use my bench though. I can platoon some guys (we do daily lineup changes) and/or have a few sleepers on the bench to help out there. Of course its hard to platoon your way to a Jay Bruce but...
NittanyLions1
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BUCCOFAN » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:19 am

I'd go Pence here....hope I am not to late.

But don't let 3B slide, its a weaker position then you think.
BUCCOFAN
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 199)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions