Albert Pujols trade? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Albert Pujols trade?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Albert Pujols trade?

Postby ramble2 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:01 pm

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the possibility of a Pujols for Adrian Gonzalez trade. The Red Sox have the cash to sign Pujols. If the Cards thought they could sign Gonzalez for a reasonable price that sure as hell beats watching Pujols walk after 2011.
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Syfo-Dyas » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:15 pm

ramble2 wrote:I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the possibility of a Pujols for Adrian Gonzalez trade. The Red Sox have the cash to sign Pujols. If the Cards thought they could sign Gonzalez for a reasonable price that sure as hell beats watching Pujols walk after 2011.

What makes you think that Gonzalez is willing to sign long term for a "reasonable price" with any team, if he can sign for more as a free agent?
the awesome sig by soty

"You should be mindful of the future, but not at the expense of the
moment." - Qui-Gon Jinn (keeper league expert?)
Syfo-Dyas
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby nsulham » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:27 pm

It's widely believed by most Sox fans that the front office has an unspoken agreement in place with Gonzalez that should be announced sometime before Opening Day. He's the guy they've wanted for some time. He's not going anywhere.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby StlSluggers » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:18 pm

Neato Torpedo wrote:If he goes to the Rockies I will crap myself. 800 HR easy if he plays half of the rest of his career in Coors. Thing is, I'm not sure how much money they have left over after the Tulo & Cargo deals.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby ramble2 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:02 pm

Syfo-Dyas wrote:
ramble2 wrote:I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the possibility of a Pujols for Adrian Gonzalez trade. The Red Sox have the cash to sign Pujols. If the Cards thought they could sign Gonzalez for a reasonable price that sure as hell beats watching Pujols walk after 2011.

What makes you think that Gonzalez is willing to sign long term for a "reasonable price" with any team, if he can sign for more as a free agent?

I just meant 'reasonable price' relative to what Pujols will command on the open market, and relative to what they are willing to commit to top-tier 1B in their long-term plans. Gonzalez won't be cheap, but he won't be as expensive as Pujols.

I assume with any player that they'll sign for market value, and not sign for any kind of hometown or 'special-team' discount. There are certainly exceptions, but they are rare.
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ramble2 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:15 pm

nsulham wrote:It's widely believed by most Sox fans that the front office has an unspoken agreement in place with Gonzalez that should be announced sometime before Opening Day. He's the guy they've wanted for some time. He's not going anywhere.

Yeah, that sounds right to me, and I'm only just speculating a little bit and having fun.

BUT suppose Gonzalez gets signed to a long-term deal. Suppose, too, that Pujols was then offered for Gonzalez, which included the Sox convincing Pujols to sign a long-term deal ... you don't think both sides at least take a long hard look at that?

One thing to keep in mind with Pujols is that he's got a shot at being the all-time HR champ. He'll get there near the end of any contract he signs now. Even if his on-field performance in terms of wins produced doesn't warrant the money he'll earn at the back end of his contract, the pursuit of Bonds (or, *shudder*) A Rod is going to be a huge draw. He's going to be worth a huge amount to whatever team he is on, should he actually have a shot at the record.

I guarantee you Theo knows that, and knows how much BOS fans would love having the HR champ be wearing that uniform. Especially if it involves passing A Rod.
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

Postby JimmyBaseball » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:43 pm

[quote="nyy28"]Between not being able to resign Pujols and the Wainwright injury this season is obviously off to a not so great start for the Cards this year. Wainwright was one of the top 3 SP in all of baseball last season, and I just don't see the Cards seriously competing for a playoff spot without him.

It also is pretty apparent that the Cardinals are not willing to meet the contract demands of Pujols (if they were, they probably would have already signed him). If they fall behind in the standings early in the season, could we potentially see a blockbuster deal at the deadline involving Pujols?

Obviously this would not happen if they are in playoff contention, but if they have a rough start to the season and it becomes clear they are not a playoff team in 2010 (which lets face it, without Wainwright, they're not) then why wouldn't they want to trade him at the deadline for a plethora of talent rather than losing him via free agency?

quote]

You've been sipping the media's kool-aid. I remember when the Cardinals lost Jason Isringhausen went down in 2006. All of the experts said that the Cards are goin' nowhere without Izzy. Well a rookie stepped out of nowhere and won a world series. That rookie was Waino. To say flat out that they're not in it is just jumping the gun. spoken as a true dummy.
"When I knocked a guy down, there was no second part to the story."

~Bob Gibson
JimmyBaseball
College Coach
College Coach

Postby StlSluggers » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:39 pm

Wainwrights, Pujolses, Bradyes, and Warners don't just appear every day.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Syfo-Dyas » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:33 am

nsulham wrote:It's widely believed by most Sox fans that the front office has an unspoken agreement in place with Gonzalez that should be announced sometime before Opening Day. He's the guy they've wanted for some time. He's not going anywhere.

Thats a bold statement.
A widely believed unspoken agreement is exactly what it is.
Gossip.

ramble2 wrote:
BUT suppose Gonzalez gets signed to a long-term deal. Suppose, too, that Pujols was then offered for Gonzalez, which included the Sox convincing Pujols to sign a long-term deal ... you don't think both sides at least take a long hard look at that?

If Gonzalez signs before opening day, I'd be surprised if the contract doesn't include a full or limited no-trade clause, and or an opt out clause.
the awesome sig by soty

"You should be mindful of the future, but not at the expense of the
moment." - Qui-Gon Jinn (keeper league expert?)
Syfo-Dyas
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby nsulham » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:45 am

Syfo-Dyas wrote:

Thats a bold statement.
A widely believed unspoken agreement is exactly what it is.
Gossip.

So they're going to give the Padres the prospect haul they did for essentially a one-year rental of AGon and then watch him walk away into free agency? I don't think so.

There's at least the parameters of an agreement in place, if not an agreement itself, they just haven't come out with it yet.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers