Albert Pujols trade? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Albert Pujols trade?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Albert Pujols trade?

Postby nyy28 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:24 pm

Between not being able to resign Pujols and the Wainwright injury this season is obviously off to a not so great start for the Cards this year. Wainwright was one of the top 3 SP in all of baseball last season, and I just don't see the Cards seriously competing for a playoff spot without him.

It also is pretty apparent that the Cardinals are not willing to meet the contract demands of Pujols (if they were, they probably would have already signed him). If they fall behind in the standings early in the season, could we potentially see a blockbuster deal at the deadline involving Pujols?

Obviously this would not happen if they are in playoff contention, but if they have a rough start to the season and it becomes clear they are not a playoff team in 2010 (which lets face it, without Wainwright, they're not) then why wouldn't they want to trade him at the deadline for a plethora of talent rather than losing him via free agency?

If the Cardinals are not going to pay him what he wants, then they must be thinking about this as a possible strategy. What team(s) do you guys think could make the best offer? Keep in mind he has a full no trade clause...
nyy28
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Albert Pujols trade?

Postby Maris09 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:36 pm

Pujols has said many times that he will veto any trade.....But I suppose if the situation looks dire for STL as they get to the deadline, and some team is willing to meet (or come close to meeting) the contract demands Pujols is looking for, I guess we could see him be more open to a move.

But you'd have to think whatever team makes a bid for him is going to have to sign him to a new deal, otherwise he'll just wait for the offseason.
I read the Rockies might be a fit (open 1st Base spot and the prospects to trade).
Not sure about their money situtaion and if they'd want to sign him long term....or if they'd be willing to give up prospects AND sign him long term. That's the reason why I don't think he'll be traded. Why give up a ton of talent and also shell out mega bucks?
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 30)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:44 pm

I don't see Pujols being traded under any circumstance.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 455)

Postby MasterX1918 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:05 pm

He has a no trade clause that we won't waive

/thread
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)

Postby heyeaglefn » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:26 pm

MasterX1918 wrote:He has a no trade clause that we won't waive

/thread

Yes, no one in the history of sports has ever gone back on saying they won't waive their NTC.

I am not saying he will do it, but if the Cards are 20 games out at the ASB he may think about it if a team is willing to give him close to the contract he is looking for and has a chance to win this year.
heyeaglefn
College Coach
College Coach

Postby nyy28 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:53 pm

Yea obviously no deal would get done without him signing an extension. No team would want to give up a lot to get him if they were only going to be renting him for half of a season. I think he would definitely waive his no trade clause if the Cards were clearly out of it at the trade deadline, and a contending team was willing to make the Cards a decent offer as well as sign him to a $285-300 million extension.

It will all depend on how the Cards are looking in the standings at the deadline, but with the Reds and Brewers looking good its not that far fetched to think the Cards might have a crappy year.
nyy28
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:57 pm

heyeaglefn wrote:
MasterX1918 wrote:He has a no trade clause that we won't waive

/thread

Yes, no one in the history of sports has ever gone back on saying they won't waive their NTC.

I am not saying he will do it, but if the Cards are 20 games out at the ASB he may think about it if a team is willing to give him close to the contract he is looking for and has a chance to win this year.

Yeah, I could also see Pujols waiving his NTC if the Cardinals ask. Why wouldn't he? His "refusal to waive" right now is a great way of just avoiding trade rumors for the next 3 months.....

A team could just rent Pujols too. If Pujols is really looking to maximize his $$ (which it seems he is), I think the Cardinals would get as much for a deal without the extension as they would if he agreed to an extension as part of the deal. Two reasons: first, many more bidders in the market, someone's guaranteed to way overpay for that Pujols rental. second, I'm not sure how much value that extension will have to the team that signs him, since it sounds that they'll have to pay Pujols's asking price to do it
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 4)

Postby StlSluggers » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:13 pm

StlSluggers wrote:Why do people keep bringing up a Pujols trade when he has explicitly stated that he will not let himself be traded??? :-S :-S :-S
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 18)
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby nyy28 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:19 pm

StlSluggers wrote:
StlSluggers wrote:Why do people keep bringing up a Pujols trade when he has explicitly stated that he will not let himself be traded??? :-S :-S :-S

LOL I'd be pissed/worried too if I were a Cards fan. He will be a Rockie/Cub/Yankee in a matter of time. I'm just wondering if it will happen at the trade deadline this season or next offseason.
nyy28
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Neato Torpedo » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:07 pm

If he goes to the Rockies I will crap myself. 800 HR easy if he plays half of the rest of his career in Coors. Thing is, I'm not sure how much money they have left over after the Tulo deal.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers