Would you draft McCutchen over these guys? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Would you draft McCutchen over these guys?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Would you draft McCutchen over these guys?

Postby octagon999 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:17 am

I'm in a 12 team, H2H, 4 Keeper league, and my keepers will be Kemp, Longoria, Reyes, and Posey. You can keep players as many seasons as you want. I would love to lock up McCutchen, but its likely he won't be the highest ranked available player when we start drafting in round 5. Would it be worth taking him with my first pick anyways? I'll be drafting at #7.

Some possible (not all keepers have been announced, but most have) players that might be available include:
Chase Utley (probably won't fall to 7, even if not kept)
Felix Hernandez (same)
Kinsler
Uggla
Rollins
Heyward
Morneau
Beltre
Johnson
Ethier

It seems to me that given what else is probably going to be out there, McCutchen might be the best long term value. Would love to get some other opinions.
octagon999
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Would you draft McCutchen over these guys?

Postby fast dogs » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:35 am

He'll be drafted before pick 50 more than after. I think you'd be lucky to get him with pick 7 unless there are a couple more names to add. Guessing he and Heyward are gone by your pick, great if they aren't but...
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 303)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby misterf » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:18 am

Of the guys you listed, Utley and Felix are easily the top 2 guys. if they fall to you its a steal and you must take them.

But I would have McCutchen ahead of all the other guys you listed....although its pretty close with most of those guys. In fact, I have mccutchen, uggla, heyward, morneau, and johnson all as approx 4th rounders in a 12-team league........while I have Rollins, Morneau and Ethier as 5th rounders.

It would be hard to gor wrong with anybody on that list. Since the value is so similar, I would make my decision based more on what holes need filling after your keepers rather nit-picking over their relative merits. If you simply have a man-crush on McCutchen....there's no harm in taking him over any of those guys not named Utley or Felix.
misterf
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 74)

Postby MaudDib » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:38 am

Outside of Utley and Felix, No. Maybe kinsler if he is the last of the good 2B.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions