Auction Draft Problem - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Auction Draft Problem

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Auction Draft Problem

Postby ElonBaseball23 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:53 am

My friends and I are starting a new Auction Draft league but are facing a software problem. While we have drafted a constitution that we are still editing, I'm not sure we will be able to find an online draft room and league manager software that will allow us to do what we want. Specifically, we would like to be able to trade auction dollars for next years draft but I don't know of an online draft software that allows you to manually put in what each teams budget is. Additionally, our keeper system is going to be last years auction price +$1/4/7/10 depending on how many keepers you have. Is there a league manager software out there that allows you to keep players + inflation as determined by the commissioner?

Lastly, we are having a minor league draft (snake). Is there a way to keep those players from being acquired through waivers in the league during the season if they are called up? Other than having the commissioner constantly monitor the minor league rosters and who is being picked up. Is the best way just to draft them to a seperate ghost team(s) and have the commissioner make trades from those teams if the manager wishes to call them up, or is there a site that actually lets you eliminate them completely from the waiver wire until they are called up?

Thanks guys.
ElonBaseball23
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Auction Draft Problem

Postby bigmck » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:09 am

I think you are running into dangerous territory trading auction dollars. What I am about to describe is not a possibility, it will happen. == You will have an owner trying to acquire players to win this year and trades off auction dollars. He does not win, his team is in bad shape for next year, he has no auction dollars and quits the league. You will never find another owner to take over ther team. You would be best served to forget about trading auction dollars.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 61)

Postby dmendro » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:00 pm

bigmck wrote:I think you are running into dangerous territory trading auction dollars. What I am about to describe is not a possibility, it will happen. == You will have an owner trying to acquire players to win this year and trades off auction dollars. He does not win, his team is in bad shape for next year, he has no auction dollars and quits the league. You will never find another owner to take over ther team. You would be best served to forget about trading auction dollars.

We have allowed this for almost 5 years now. It's not much of a problem with us. We've never had anyone do that.

1. You have to put a limit on how much you can trade away. For us it's 10% of our total budget.

2. We have a $20 deposit mandatory for the following year's fees if you want to trade cap for the following year.

If you are using Sportsline, I ebelieve you can work around the issue. If you are using keepers, just artificially increase or decrease ont of the keeprs values from each team to adjust each team as needed, and then adjust their price after the draft to get them back to their normal price. If you aren't, I believe you can pause the draft when ever you want as an admin and adjust a players value. You can do that as each team drafts their first players to artifically get them to their actual balance. Just record their actual auction price seperately and then adjust them back after the draft is over.
---------------------------------------------------------
The Black 'N Blue Podcast
RSS Feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/BlacknBlue
Beating each other up one sport at a time.
dmendro
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby ElonBaseball23 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:32 pm

Yeah - I like that, having a cap on how much you can trade away or acquire. I also tested Yahoo last night and it looks like you can enter individual dollar amounts for each team and works well with keepers so I'm excited about that.
ElonBaseball23
T-Ball Trainer

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:29 pm

At Yahoo! we allow a commish to set the auction budget for each individual team. At this stage we won't automatically manage all the auction-related rules you're describing, but I believe we give the commish enough tools that he can implement what you want with some manual work on his part. So specifically:
- We don't yet let you define the keepers within the game, but if a league manages their keepers offline, then our app lets the commish indicate which players are on which teams prior to the draft, and which picks they are being kept in lieu of.
- We don't yet let you trade auction dollars within the game, but if a league manages this offline, then the commish can customize each team's auction budget prior to the draft to reflect the trades that occurred.

Your minor league features are going to be more difficult for us to support at this time. The most relevant thing that comes to mind is that you can configure your league to say players shouldn't be available until they reach a major league roster. Which is mostly what you want except that teams tend to do weird stuff with their roster in the preseason, and you may find that guys you want in your minor league system are available all season because of how their team handled them in the preseason.

Hope this helps...
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 42)

Postby dmendro » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:41 pm

Awesome about what you are doing on yahoo. A couple more tweaks and I may move us to yahoo next year!
---------------------------------------------------------
The Black 'N Blue Podcast
RSS Feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/BlacknBlue
Beating each other up one sport at a time.
dmendro
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Return to Commissioner's Corner