Long story of my Yahoo experience from last night. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Long story of my Yahoo experience from last night.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Singles » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:37 pm

I am currently in two H2H leagues. One is with friends and the other is with a co-worker. I have been with both leagues for two years now and love the competiveness and enjoyment…but… I have been longing to get back into a rotisserie league. I did roto for 5 years and after that league dissolved, people I know only had interest in H2H.

With that, this year I decided to sate my thirst and join a custom Yahoo Roto league. I searched throw dozens of posted leagues to find the size and settings which closest resembled my preferences. I found one and joined. Excited and anxious.

What a nightmare it has been…We drafted last night and 30 minutes before the draft began, the commish customized the draft order and put him first. Fine, you need that little ego trip, I can accept that. Then he made it a non-snaking draft order. Ok, great. So he will now get the #1 pick, #11 Pick, #21 and so on. Very uneven system. I noticed the changes to late and once he commish finalized the teams I couldn’t retreat.

Well despite all this I decided to stick it out and draft the best I could and try to win this. After all it is a free league so I have nothing to lose. Apparently a few other mangers didn’t realize the changes until the 2nd round started and the order didn’t snake. Well they were quite livid and let the commish know.

Needless to say, after the draft was over the commish punished those who complained by cutting their best players and replacing them with bit players. He then proceeded to give himself the #1 waiver pick and then traded Tejada/Wiggington for Wright/Pedroia to a team whose manager has the same last name as commish. He also kicked the most vocal manager out of the league and transferred ownership to another team.

Bottom line is though I was happy to participate in the live draft, this whole experience has been a big waste of time, I passed on a few leagues that might have been good choices and I now need to decide if I want to go through this whole process again.
Singles Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Long story of my Yahoo experience from last night.

Postby GameOn » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:49 pm

A league is only as good as the comish. Sounds like that league is a dud. I wouldn't even look at it again.

There are plenty of leagues out there.
GameOn
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby bigmck » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:22 am

I was looking for a league today on the ESPN board and was surprised to find quite a few Roto leagues. There are good out there, don't let the commish jerk spoil your summer.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 60)

Postby thedude » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:07 am

That stinks. There are plenty of good leagues of there with upstanding commissioners, but I hear horror stories like this every year. Count yourself lucky he showed his true colors now rather than a month into the season.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby MorseOverTaveras » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:33 am

Wow, after reading, as bad as that seemed, I found it quite hilarious - not for you of course, but for the that idiot commish. Being a 3rd year commish myself, I fully understand the responbilities that come with maintaining a fun and enjoyable league. And to have to play with someone like that isn't even worth your time...he can have fun with himself playing in dead public leagues with other half-wits that could really care less about fantasy and baseball.
MorseOverTaveras
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 3)

Postby fast dogs » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:56 am

it was good practise, a serious mock. treat it as such. never go back into the league other than to review your results.Opt out or stop recieving e-mails from that league if possible.Report him to whoever if you can, dust yourself off and move on. Theres an aweful lot of good leagues looking for players, find another 1 or 2
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 317)

Postby misterf » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:11 am

That stinks!

Of course, you should just pretend that team/league doesnt even exist. Although I would definitely post a message letting the commish know that you are dropping out and exactly why you are doing so.

You know, the Yahoo public leagues aren't that bad. They have a few flaws (the most common of which is that far too many reasonable trades get vetoed) but you never run into situations like you just had to deal with.
misterf
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 68)

Postby ezvstheworld » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:32 am

Wow, that sounds like a pretty poor experience. I feel bad for you.

Unfortunately there is always a chance that getting into a public league with a bunch of guys you've never heard of before can turn out bad. I'd say the instances of a commish being this bad are pretty rare - he does sounds like a pretty sad loser if he'd rather cheat and win an empty league than have a competitive season. More often what can happen is that you can find two or three guys who use public league for drafting practice and then abandon their teams as soon as they start failing.

My piece of advice would always be to try to join a league that is advertised on here or one of the other similar boards. The Yahoo and ESPN boards seem to be full of guys shooting their mouth rather than having a real interest in their leagues. If you find a league advertised in the classifieds here, then you can check out the guy who has posted it and have confidence that you are getting into a worthwhile league. Alternatively, post a message under classifieds saying that you are looking for a league and what your ideal setup is (H2H/Roto, size of league, type of draft/auction, free/money etc). There are loads of decent commissioners out there looking to fill spots at this time of year.

Don't let that experience put you off. Hopefully this will be the chance to find a league that really suits you instead.
ezvstheworld
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby MorseOverTaveras » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:00 pm

ezvstheworld wrote:Wow, that sounds like a pretty poor experience. I feel bad for you.

Unfortunately there is always a chance that getting into a public league with a bunch of guys you've never heard of before can turn out bad. I'd say the instances of a commish being this bad are pretty rare - he does sounds like a pretty sad loser if he'd rather cheat and win an empty league than have a competitive season. More often what can happen is that you can find two or three guys who use public league for drafting practice and then abandon their teams as soon as they start failing.

My piece of advice would always be to try to join a league that is advertised on here or one of the other similar boards. The Yahoo and ESPN boards seem to be full of guys shooting their mouth rather than having a real interest in their leagues. If you find a league advertised in the classifieds here, then you can check out the guy who has posted it and have confidence that you are getting into a worthwhile league. Alternatively, post a message under classifieds saying that you are looking for a league and what your ideal setup is (H2H/Roto, size of league, type of draft/auction, free/money etc). There are loads of decent commissioners out there looking to fill spots at this time of year.

Don't let that experience put you off. Hopefully this will be the chance to find a league that really suits you instead.

Speaking of that, FBCafe really needs to implement subforums in the Classified section...Break it down into: Yahoo, ESPN, CBS, etc, then H2H, Roto, Dynasty, etc, and then $ or no$...that'd seriously help both commissioners and hopeful managers looking for their dream leagues...
MorseOverTaveras
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Matthias » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:09 pm

Singles wrote:Needless to say, after the draft was over the commish punished those who complained by cutting their best players and replacing them with bit players. He then proceeded to give himself the #1 waiver pick and then traded Tejada/Wiggington for Wright/Pedroia to a team whose manager has the same last name as commish. He also kicked the most vocal manager out of the league and transferred ownership to another team.

You might have grounds to vote to veto this trade. }:-)

It's a public league. It happens. I'm sure there are leagues being advertised here that are real, serious, and fair if you really want to try roto this year.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner