Question on rankings - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Question on rankings

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Question on rankings

Postby TheBigKahuna » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:01 pm

I know with fftoday.com, you can put all of your leagues scoring into the site and it personalizes the projections. Are there any sites like this for fantasy baseball?
TheBigKahuna
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Question on rankings

Postby wrveres » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:48 am

25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 746)

Postby Grounded Polo » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:07 pm

http://baseballmonster.com/

Same thing but didn't know about the rototimes page, thanks WR. ;-D
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby MTUCache » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:24 pm

My personal favorite is lastplayerpicked.com. They've currently got the 2011 CAIRO and Marcel projections available, or you can upload your own.

This site is particularly valuable for auction values, but you've got to be careful with your split between pitching and hitting... depending on your league's settings they can get inflated one way or the other.
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby TheBigKahuna » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:39 pm

Thanks for the help! Are there any that are adjusted for AL only HTH points leagues, snake draft non auction?
TheBigKahuna
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Bombsy » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:06 pm

MTUCache wrote:My personal favorite is lastplayerpicked.com. They've currently got the 2011 CAIRO and Marcel projections available, or you can upload your own.

This site is particularly valuable for auction values, but you've got to be careful with your split between pitching and hitting... depending on your league's settings they can get inflated one way or the other.

What would be your advice in regards to hitting / pitching split? My league is a standard Yahoo 5x5 Auction league, but it's a deep league as we have 16 Managers.

Positions - C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, OF, OF, OF, Util, Util, SP, SP, SP, RP, RP, P, P, P, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, DL, DL

Should I set it to Optimal? 70/30? 60/40?

Should I adjust for playing time?

Which system is better, Cairo or Marcel? I was leaning towards Cairo until I saw others say Marcel was more trustworthy.

Anyone can chime in. I'd appreciate it lots. I'm in a very competitive league with some savvy managers. I know my baseball, but this is my first time venturing into the Auction world.

Cheers!
Last edited by Bombsy on Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bombsy
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Neato Torpedo » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:07 pm

TheBigKahuna wrote:Thanks for the help! Are there any that are adjusted for AL only HTH points leagues, snake draft non auction?

http://baseballmonster.com/LeagueSettings.aspx

You can uncheck "NL" and check "use points", then generate the player rankings (make sure to also use "all players" instead of just "top players")

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby Mays » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:18 pm

Bombsy wrote:What would be your advice in regards to hitting / pitching split? My league is a standard Yahoo 5x5 Auction league, but it's a deep league as we have 16 Managers.

Positions - C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, OF, OF, OF, Util, Util, SP, SP, SP, RP, RP, P, P, P, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, DL, DL

Should I set it to Optimal? 70/30? 60/40?

I typically bump it about 5-6% towards hitters beyond whatever it says is optimal, and that seems to get pretty realistic results. For that league, I entered 5 SP / 3 RP and it said 58/42. I'd probably stick it about 64/36. That still has pitchers ranked higher than usual, but I think that makes sense here. (10 hitters and 8 pitchers instead of a standard 14/9 means relatively fewer hitters will be drafted and less money will be spend on them.)

Should I adjust for playing time?

I think you should. It won't make a big difference for a lot of players, but it will give better numbers for guys who have been (or currently are) injured and guys who are currently not likely to see time in MLB.

Which system is better, Cairo or Marcel? I was leaning towards Cairo until I saw others say Marcel was more trustworthy.

CAIRO is really just a better informed Marcel. It looks at the past 5 years instead of 3 years, and it knows about park effects for players switching teams (e.g. Adrian Gonzalez). CAIRO also projects minor leaguers, which Marcel doesn't attempt. It does have some occasional weird picks, such as really hating Jon Lester for some reason.
Mays
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Return to Baseball Leftovers