Drop Estrada or Ramon Hernandez at Catcher? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Drop Estrada or Ramon Hernandez at Catcher?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Drop Estrada or Ramon Hernandez at Catcher?

Postby AcidRock23 » Sat Mar 27, 2004 12:15 pm

I suppose I kind of punted catcher and have both these guys but I am thinking that Hernandez might be better to keep as, barring injury, he appears likely to play most of the time. I also picked up Jason Phillips to back up Sexton and C too. Estrada appears to have some potential but is unproven whereas I feel I can count on Hernandez to produce about what he did last year, if not a bit more for playing in a better hitter's park. Do you guys agree?

I'd use the space for Riske, now that Urbina's out of the Cleveland Picture. We're playing 10 team H2H, w/ a bunch of categories, 13x13, if that might make a difference.

Thanks!!
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Sat Mar 27, 2004 12:18 pm

Hernandez, hands down.

One is a proven all-star, the other is a 27 year old career minor league catcher.

Though I'd start Phillips over either.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby AcidRock23 » Sat Mar 27, 2004 2:35 pm

Absolutely Adequate wrote:Hernandez, hands down.

One is a proven all-star, the other is a 27 year old career minor league catcher.

Though I'd start Phillips over either.

Hmm, I kind of thought that for a bit but Hernandez had 27 HR in 403 AB and Phillips hit 10 in 405. Phillips' average is a bit better but I've got some other guys I'm looking to cover average and we use slg and ops as well as HR, kind of a stat-happy setup.

Same age, both teams look to be improved over last year but there seems to be more buzz around the Padres, perhaps only b/c their division is not as tough as the NL East this year.

The only way I could see Hernandez really being 'worse' is that I'll have the horrible temptation to stay up freaking late to see how the Padres are doing as I'm on Central Time!! Do you have any info to suggest a big breakout from Phillips? I've seen 'he's going to do better this year' types of stuff but nothing major. I guess I'm not expecting 'major' production from Hernandez either though!!
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Return to Baseball Leftovers